A Mince Pie Conundrum

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In M&S the other day, alongside the sandwiches and protein pots (sort of lunch stuff), thy were doing a mini pack of 2 mini mince pies (maybe about an inch round, as well as a two pack of Christmas Cake or Stollen.

Personally, I've never really had a sweet tooth, so can forego those easily, but now I'm GF, that's even further reason to just move along.

I have to say, for those for whom a "normal" pack, or home baked would be just too much temptation, I thought they could work. I can't recall the carb count on them, but being so small it didn't seem like a massive hit.

Reactions: Serena51

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I will definitely have a couple, well more like a whole pack lol but will spread them out.
The first Christmas after being told I was type 2, I was a very good middle aged lady and not once did I eat anything sweet or roast spuds at Christmas, boy did I crave them.
I am now a little more relaxed at Christmas but I Don, t go over board.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In M&S the other day, alongside the sandwiches and protein pots (sort of lunch stuff), thy were doing a mini pack of 2 mini mince pies (maybe about an inch round, as well as a two pack of Christmas Cake or Stollen.

Personally, I've never really had a sweet tooth, so can forego those easily, but now I'm GF, that's even further reason to just move along.

I have to say, for those for whom a "normal" pack, or home baked would be just too much temptation, I thought they could work. I can't recall the carb count on them, but being so small it didn't seem like a massive hit.

Packs of 2 are definitely a good idea. The problem with the Aldi mini ones are you get 12 in a pack. THAT's the problem. Not my lack of self-discipline.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Having looked at the ingredients for many popular mince pies I can see they are full of absolute rubbish e.g. fructose/glucose syrup and so on. I will have to force myself to eat some but I'd rather have them made from more traditional stuff and leave out the glucose syrup, starch etc.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
OK or not I am about to eat one with clotted cream in about two minutes time.

Reactions: Guzzler

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think Im in a minority here - I have never liked mince pies or christmas pudding - I remember as a kid I would eat the mince pie pastry with vanilla ice cream but leave the middle and only tolerated christmas pudding through grtted teeth in the hope of being able to find the treasured thrupenny bit or shilling hidden inside

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Every one has different tastes my grandson hates Christmas pudding but likes mince pies.

I enjoyed mine just now by the way will pay for it in the morning though when I check my fbg.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do SO need a mince-pie (or two. Or five. How big are mince-pies anyway?) right now. I do not have a clue what they are or what they even look like. I believe we don't have mince-pies in the Netherlands, but it might be that I just don't know the word 'mince'. I don't even know if they are sweet or salty, meat, cheese or fruit and I'm afraid googling might spoil my fantasy of something truly wonderful one only gets to eat around christmas. I want one anyway and if bolusing for it doesn't exactly work out, I don't care!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Im in a minority here - I have never liked mince pies or christmas pudding - I remember as a kid I would eat the mince pie pastry with vanilla ice cream but leave the middle and only tolerated christmas pudding through grtted teeth in the hope of being able to find the treasured thrupenny bit or shilling hidden inside

I used to hate mince pies. As far as I was concerned they were tombs full of dead flies.

I'm not sure what changed. It's not that I no longer believe they are full of dead flies - I'm pretty sure they must be, I mean, just look at them.

Tell you what though, if you have an Aldi near you, I challenge you to try their "Mini Spiced Caramel Pies". They aren't even called "mince" pies though there does appear to be a bit of mincemeat in them as well as nuts. If ever there is a gateway into liking mince pies, these are it!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to hate mince pies. As far as I was concerned they were tombs full of dead flies.

I'm not sure what changed. It's not that I no longer believe they are full of dead flies - I'm pretty sure they must be, I mean, just look at them.
Ha
Tell you what though, if you have an Aldi near you, I challenge you to try their "Mini Spiced Caramel Pies". They aren't even called "mince" pies though there does appear to be a bit of mincemeat in them as well as nuts. If ever there is a gateway into liking mince pies, these are it!
You can have mine! Its the overwhelming sweetness I dont like so I doubt caramel would help - I find that overwhelmingly sweet too. Now give me a nice curry pie or Beef wellington and would be a whole different matter!

Last edited:

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All this has made me determined to eat one on Boxing Day....I make mine with orange pastry and a blob of Philadelphia inside.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I do SO need a mince-pie (or two. Or five. How big are mince-pies anyway?) right now. I do not have a clue what they are or what they even look like. I believe we don't have mince-pies in the Netherlands, but it might be that I just don't know the word 'mince'. I don't even know if they are sweet or salty, meat, cheese or fruit and I'm afraid googling might spoil my fantasy of something truly wonderful one only gets to eat around christmas. I want one anyway and if bolusing for it doesn't exactly work out, I don't care!

They used to have minced meat and dried fruit, but now the meat is usually left out.

Pastry case, filled with dried fruit, candied peel and suet (or non-meat alternative) plus with luck some brandy.

Usually they smell better than they taste, but they still taste pretty **** good.
I'm not sure what the traditional Xmas treat is in the Netherlands.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the hug, @JohnEGreen . So it is actually hugworthy sad to never have tasted or even seen a mince pie. Thought so already. Was yours actually as good as you hoped? You can always follow @LittleGreyCat 's advice and only find your meter back tomorrow afternoon. According to @Guzzler the carbs don't count when there's nothing on your meter to prove it, and we all know Guzzler is a very knowledgeable member of this group.

Reactions: Arlmy

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the hug, @JohnEGreen . So it is actually hugworthy sad to never have tasted or even seen a mince pie. Thought so already. Was yours actually as good as you hoped? You can always follow @LittleGreyCat 's advice and only find your meter back tomorrow afternoon. According to @Guzzler the carbs don't count when there's nothing on your meter to prove it, and we all know Guzzler is a very knowledgeable member of this group.

https://www.english-shop.nl/nl/category/mince-pies

Edit: not sure I could recommend any of them, though. Still, might give you some idea of possible glories.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They used to have minced meat and dried fruit, but now the meat is usually left out.

Pastry case, filled with dried fruit, candied peel and suet (or non-meat alternative) plus with luck some brandy.

Usually they smell better than they taste, but they still taste pretty **** good.
I'm not sure what the traditional Xmas treat is in the Netherlands.
Thanks! I still can't imagine their taste or smell, so I guess I'll have to find a recipe, double the amount of brandy and try for myself!
I just survived not eating the traditional Sinterklaas treats last week, namely pepernoten (love them), chocoladeletters and speculaas (google them) so I'll start thinking about christmas when the time comes. But all in all, our chrismas traditions are not nearly as strong as in the UK. Maybe because we're still recovering from all the pepernoten, presents and poems and chocoladeletters from Sinterklaas :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My weakness is for Poffertjes. With a suitable spirit poured over.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Ahh! You haven't tried a real Pie Company mince pie. They start making the mincemeat in July and add a mixture of spirits each month and allow it to seep and mature into the dried fruit. Then they make large (a real handful) mince pie, 'filled to the crust' with the mix. Just add clotted cream for a boozy treat.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh! You haven't tried a real Pie Company mince pie. They start making the mincemeat in July and add a mixture of spirits each month and allow it to seep and mature into the dried fruit. Then they make large (a real handful) mince pie, 'filled to the crust' with the mix. Just add clotted cream for a boozy treat.
Can you send me one?