A New Diagnosis, A New World

craigc

Good morning you lovely people. Firstly I would just like to thank everyone here for your wonderful contributions - so pleased I found this place. I was diagnosed T2 a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking here since, absorbing as much information as I can.

I guess my story is similar to a lot of T2's, came as bit of a surprise to be honest (I'm 35) and I didn't know an awful lot about the causes. Have always struggled with weight but ironically had already lost 4 stone prior to diagnosis through eating "well", 1-2 lbs loss a week over the course of this year so nice and steady and thought I was heading in the right direction, however I now know I wasn't eating "well", at least not for me as I was eating heavy on carbs with every meal, muslei, wraps, pasta, rice, potatoes. All things I love to eat. I suppose I was a bit naive and never knew carbs could have such effect on blood sugar. I am generally a positive person and can take positives out of most things but it did take a while to get my head around this with all the thoughts that go through your head, worse case scenarios etc I am now seeing the positive being that I at least now know about it and am looking forwards to getting fitter and feeling more healthy.

My diagnosis came after going to the doctors with an injury on the coccyx which turned into an infection (nice). Have had similar before but treated at home as I really don't like going to the doctors and admitedley hadn't had blood tests for some years (I have a bit of a phobia of blood tests and needles which stems from when I was young), fortnately this time the pain was too much and the infection was burning up so I went to the doctors. At the doctors the nurse asked me the last time I had a blood test, when I couldn't recall she pulled her blood testing kit out and my face must have fell to the floor! But I am now so glad she did as the test included the usual full blood count with a random glucose test. I am quite embarassed by the high levels which came back. The random test level came back at 23 mmol/L, this prompted me to come back for a fasting test the next day which resulted in 17.2 mmol/L on the day and a very scary hbA1c of 129 mmol/mol. I was perscribed 2 x 500mg metaformin and 1 x 12.5mg alogliptin a day, also on 2.5mg ramipril for BP. Haven't had too many issues with the tablets.

I literally came home and changed my diet the same day as diagnosis. I had some knowledge of low carb having tried the keto diet before (how I wish I had of stuck to it back then). I do find keto quite difficult so not sure if it will be sustainable for me in the long term but have been religious for the past few weeks. Fortunately the nurse isn't against low carb like I read some are, although she has her doubts on keto for the same reason as me (it being sustainable long term). She also perscribed me a meter, strips and lancets so have been testing daily.

After the first week at which point I was on 1 x metaformin a day and no other meds, my levels had dropped to the region of 7-8mmol. After the second week I was testing in region of 5-6mmol and now into the third week I am getting consistent readings of 4.5-5.3 mmol, my average since I started monitoring works out approx 5.5mmol. Pretty pleased with results so far but one thing that's bothering me is knowing how much diet has reduced my levels and how much the meds have. I didn't want meds but with such a high hbA1c I felt I had no choice.

Looking back to pre-diagnosis the symptoms of high blood sugar were there I just chose to ignore them or made excuses for them. Excessive thirst? Must have had a salty meal. Tired all the time? Need to get earlier nights. Going to the toilet more at night? Getting older. I had these symptoms for around 6 months that I recall, no idea how long the diabetes has been there but the main thing is I know about it now and will do absolutely everything I can to get it under control.

And so the journey to this new world has begun, still lots to learn and lots to work on but it is what it is and I will fight this diagnosis head on. Look forwards to reading more of your stories and journeys and I will be sure to update on mine.

PS Christmas low carb snack ideas will be greatly appreciated :D

Reactions: JMK1954

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning you lovely people. Firstly I would just like to thank everyone here for your wonderful contributions - so pleased I found this place. I was diagnosed T2 a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking here since, absorbing as much information as I can.

I guess my story is similar to a lot of T2's, came as bit of a surprise to be honest (I'm 35) and I didn't know an awful lot about the causes. Have always struggled with weight but ironically had already lost 4 stone prior to diagnosis through eating "well", 1-2 lbs loss a week over the course of this year so nice and steady and thought I was heading in the right direction, however I now know I wasn't eating "well", at least not for me as I was eating heavy on carbs with every meal, muslei, wraps, pasta, rice, potatoes. All things I love to eat. I suppose I was a bit naive and never knew carbs could have such effect on blood sugar. I am generally a positive person and can take positives out of most things but it did take a while to get my head around this with all the thoughts that go through your head, worse case scenarios etc I am now seeing the positive being that I at least now know about it and am looking forwards to getting fitter and feeling more healthy.

My diagnosis came after going to the doctors with an injury on the coccyx which turned into an infection (nice). Have had similar before but treated at home as I really don't like going to the doctors and admitedley hadn't had blood tests for some years (I have a bit of a phobia of blood tests and needles which stems from when I was young), fortnately this time the pain was too much and the infection was burning up so I went to the doctors. At the doctors the nurse asked me the last time I had a blood test, when I couldn't recall she pulled her blood testing kit out and my face must have fell to the floor! But I am now so glad she did as the test included the usual full blood count with a random glucose test. I am quite embarassed by the high levels which came back. The random test level came back at 23 mmol/L, this prompted me to come back for a fasting test the next day which resulted in 17.2 mmol/L on the day and a very scary hbA1c of 129 mmol/mol. I was perscribed 2 x 500mg metaformin and 1 x 12.5mg alogliptin a day, also on 2.5mg ramipril for BP. Haven't had too many issues with the tablets.

I literally came home and changed my diet the same day as diagnosis. I had some knowledge of low carb having tried the keto diet before (how I wish I had of stuck to it back then). I do find keto quite difficult so not sure if it will be sustainable for me in the long term but have been religious for the past few weeks. Fortunately the nurse isn't against low carb like I read some are, although she has her doubts on keto for the same reason as me (it being sustainable long term). She also perscribed me a meter, strips and lancets so have been testing daily.

After the first week at which point I was on 1 x metaformin a day and no other meds, my levels had dropped to the region of 7-8mmol. After the second week I was testing in region of 5-6mmol and now into the third week I am getting consistent readings of 4.5-5.3 mmol, my average since I started monitoring works out approx 5.5mmol. Pretty pleased with results so far but one thing that's bothering me is knowing how much diet has reduced my levels and how much the meds have. I didn't want meds but with such a high hbA1c I felt I had no choice.

Looking back to pre-diagnosis the symptoms of high blood sugar were there I just chose to ignore them or made excuses for them. Excessive thirst? Must have had a salty meal. Tired all the time? Need to get earlier nights. Going to the toilet more at night? Getting older. I had these symptoms for around 6 months that I recall, no idea how long the diabetes has been there but the main thing is I know about it now and will do absolutely everything I can to get it under control.

And so the journey to this new world has begun, still lots to learn and lots to work on but it is what it is and I will fight this diagnosis head on. Look forwards to reading more of your stories and journeys and I will be sure to update on mine.

PS Christmas low carb snack ideas will be greatly appreciated :D
First off, congratulations on getting your blood sugars back into the normal range. I don't know whether you're not taking everything you've been perscribed, or if you're still at 1 met per day, but.... It's mainly diet. Odds are you can start decreasing the amount of medication you're on. but that would mean sticking with a low carb diet.

I know, keto isn't for everyone. If you find that you can't keep it up, keep your meter handy and find out what DOES work for you. Don't just throw your hands in the air with an "I'm done with this!" and return to carbs. From your profile it's obvious you have people in your life you need to be around for for a long time yet, so it's not just for yourself. For the love of them, sort your diet out into something that is sustainable for you, as well as healthy. Some here do fine on 40 grams of carbs a day. Others on 60. I prefer to go really low as that seems to be helping other conditions of mine, so I'm 10 or under, currently. But the key to this is doing it for life, and to be able to do that, it has to fit your needs, not just physically, but mentally, your life in all areas. There's lots of alternatives, loopholes, adjustments and such to be found. Just takes a little time and research.

As for Christmas, I usually have a hand in the menu and being Dutch, the traditional UK dinner isn't something I've ever gotten to partake in. But I just stick with the meats, fish, that sort of thing. Cheeses, pork scratchings. Sprouts with (extra) bacon sound alright? Extra dark chocolate, maybe in mousse or something? Coffee with unsweetend whipped cream (or with some erythritol and maybe gingerbread spices tossed in?). Also, if something's traditional or special, like that weird icky pudding you lot seem to like across the channel... How much of it do you need? If there's something special, I can usually suffice with a tiny bite I steal from my husband's portion. It's just the flavour, not the amount. Especially when there's been a huge roast beef on the table. :) Go over the things you really like, and if there's something you ****really**** like, just google it with keto added in the search bar. Usually there's alternatives. I mean, I didn't think I'd be eating cookies ever again, but this year, before i went ultra low carb, I made some really nice pecan cookies... They even froze well. Keto mug bread helped me out here and there too. For the moment that's all off the menu for me, but not for you. Enjoy!
Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

craigc

First off, congratulations on getting your blood sugars back into the normal range. I don't know whether you're not taking everything you've been perscribed, or if you're still at 1 met per day, but.... It's mainly diet. Odds are you can start decreasing the amount of medication you're on. but that would mean sticking with a low carb diet.

I know, keto isn't for everyone. If you find that you can't keep it up, keep your meter handy and find out what DOES work for you. Don't just throw your hands in the air with an "I'm done with this!" and return to carbs. From your profile it's obvious you have people in your life you need to be around for for a long time yet, so it's not just for yourself. For the love of them, sort your diet out into something that is sustainable for you, as well as healthy. Some here do fine on 40 grams of carbs a day. Others on 60. I prefer to go really low as that seems to be helping other conditions of mine, so I'm 10 or under, currently. But the key to this is doing it for life, and to be able to do that, it has to fit your needs, not just physically, but mentally, your life in all areas. There's lots of alternatives, loopholes, adjustments and such to be found. Just takes a little time and research.

As for Christmas, I usually have a hand in the menu and being Dutch, the traditional UK dinner isn't something I've ever gotten to partake in. But I just stick with the meats, fish, that sort of thing. Cheeses, pork scratchings. Sprouts with (extra) bacon sound alright? Extra dark chocolate, maybe in mousse or something? Coffee with unsweetend whipped cream (or with some erythritol and maybe gingerbread spices tossed in?). Also, if something's traditional or special, like that weird icky pudding you lot seem to like across the channel... How much of it do you need? If there's something special, I can usually suffice with a tiny bite I steal from my husband's portion. It's just the flavour, not the amount. Especially when there's been a huge roast beef on the table. :) Go over the things you really like, and if there's something you ****really**** like, just google it with keto added in the search bar. Usually there's alternatives. I mean, I didn't think I'd be eating cookies ever again, but this year, before i went ultra low carb, I made some really nice pecan cookies... They even froze well. Keto mug bread helped me out here and there too. For the moment that's all off the menu for me, but not for you. Enjoy!
Jo

Hi Jo

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am taking everything perscribed now, not that I wanted to but felt it best for now given the high readings, hopefully my next hbA1c is much much lower and I can reduce the medication. Reassuring to hear your thoughts on it being mainly diet, I hope that is the case. I will be staying low carb for life, if anything getting the blood sugars down to normal range so quickly has motivated me further, I guess it's a bit like losing weight and seeing the results paying off and spurring you on. Under 10g does sound difficult so you are doing well keeping at that level, if it's working for you and helping with other things then it's definitely worth it. I think that although any change in diet is difficult at first we can soon adapt to new ways.

No there's no throwing in the towel, I have strong will power when I want to use it and I will find what works for me and stick to it. You are correct, that's my son who is 5. He is my absolute world and my biggest motivation for getting this under control. Absolutely, I want to be around for as long as possible and don't want him to grow up with a dad of ill health if I can help it. I guess I could technically be keto at the moment but just not putting that label on it - quite hard to consume so many carbs when you've ditched all the typical high carb foods (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread) which were all my usual go-tos. I would say I am probably eating anything between 20-50g a day, mostly coming from vegetables, still enjoying things like carrots once a week or so. Have already been looking into the alternatives and loopholes as you put them, will be attempting Fathead Dough this week for a pizza base - that looks amazing!

Well, everything you mentioned there does sound pretty amazing! I remembered the other day that pork scratchings were allowed on keto (love them), have really been enjoying cheese too and you tend to get lots of variety and special packs in the shops this time of year. These are foods I haven't had much of on the previous diet as that was more a low fat diet (and obviously high carb). Well, pudding/cakes/cookies aren't too much an issue for me as fortunately have never really had a sweet tooth, perhaps with the exception of ice cream, but you're right, perhaps a small bite or spoonful here and there and would scratch and itch so to speak and not do too much damage. Thank you for the advice, I have been searching Google for keto/low carb recipes a lot, subscribed to a few YouTube channels too! Surprised at just how much there is out there and it makes it all seem so much more doable with a little extra effort.

Thank you again and hope you have a wonderful low-carb Christmas :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have always struggled with weight but ironically had already lost 4 stone prior to diagnosis through eating "well", 1-2 lbs loss a week over the course of this year so nice and steady and thought I was heading in the right direction, however I now know I wasn't eating "well", at least not for me as I was eating heavy on carbs with every meal, muslei, wraps, pasta, rice, potatoes.

Well, I'm slightly surprised that as a T2 you were losing weight on a high carb diet (though it's not unknown), so I'm going to say one note of warning. If it turns out that you are T1/LADA rather than T2 then that would explain the weight loss, and the reduced carbs would probably put you in remission for a while (LADA is slow onset T1 and you go on producing insulin for quite a while, so might well still be producing enough for a low carb diet). If your levels start to go back up you should hurry to your GP and get c-peptide and GAD tests just to rule this out, as you don't want a diagnosis via diabetic ketoacidosis (requires a trip to intensive care and fatal without insulin). Unless these tests were done in hospital?

But it sounds like you have the right attitude and will get on top of this whatever type of diabetes you have.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am taking everything perscribed now, not that I wanted to but felt it best for now given the high readings, hopefully my next hbA1c is much much lower and I can reduce the medication. Reassuring to hear your thoughts on it being mainly diet, I hope that is the case. I will be staying low carb for life, if anything getting the blood sugars down to normal range so quickly has motivated me further, I guess it's a bit like losing weight and seeing the results paying off and spurring you on. Under 10g does sound difficult so you are doing well keeping at that level, if it's working for you and helping with other things then it's definitely worth it. I think that although any change in diet is difficult at first we can soon adapt to new ways.

No there's no throwing in the towel, I have strong will power when I want to use it and I will find what works for me and stick to it. You are correct, that's my son who is 5. He is my absolute world and my biggest motivation for getting this under control. Absolutely, I want to be around for as long as possible and don't want him to grow up with a dad of ill health if I can help it. I guess I could technically be keto at the moment but just not putting that label on it - quite hard to consume so many carbs when you've ditched all the typical high carb foods (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread) which were all my usual go-tos. I would say I am probably eating anything between 20-50g a day, mostly coming from vegetables, still enjoying things like carrots once a week or so. Have already been looking into the alternatives and loopholes as you put them, will be attempting Fathead Dough this week for a pizza base - that looks amazing!

Well, everything you mentioned there does sound pretty amazing! I remembered the other day that pork scratchings were allowed on keto (love them), have really been enjoying cheese too and you tend to get lots of variety and special packs in the shops this time of year. These are foods I haven't had much of on the previous diet as that was more a low fat diet (and obviously high carb). Well, pudding/cakes/cookies aren't too much an issue for me as fortunately have never really had a sweet tooth, perhaps with the exception of ice cream, but you're right, perhaps a small bite or spoonful here and there and would scratch and itch so to speak and not do too much damage. Thank you for the advice, I have been searching Google for keto/low carb recipes a lot, subscribed to a few YouTube channels too! Surprised at just how much there is out there and it makes it all seem so much more doable with a little extra effort.

Thank you again and hope you have a wonderful low-carb Christmas :)
My pleasure. And for Christmas dessert, you might want to look into Oppo ice cream. ;) From the sound of it, you're going to be perfectly fine. Well done, again, and happy holidays to you too! :)
Jo