A question for all you 'long time in control' Type 2's

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Since diagnosis in January 2016 I have not touched bread .. and don't even buy it in for my daughter as she's not fussed.
However, today I was tempted by a half sized loaf of Low Carb seeded bread, so got it and spread one slice with Whole Earth crunchy peanut butter .. as an experiment to see if I could tolerate it.
I tested before first bite (6.2) and then every half hour of the two hours with these results
First reading after half hour: 6.9
Next half hour: 6.6
Then next: 7.2
Final one: 6.6
So what I really want to know is why my results dipped and then rose again ?
Does it usually do this since I've only ever tested the once with any foods?
Thank you and hope someone can allay my confusion here

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest that could be down to inconsistencies in your meter with a reading of 6.8 all the time..
They aren't really accurate enough to do the detailed kind of analysis you are trying here which is why most of us look for trends.
I must admit to being slightly surprised at your result although it could be that the fat in the PB flattened the spike but extended it a bit.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long was it since you last ate when you had your PB sandwich @coby ?

My initial reaction would have been (leaving aside the option for meter irregularity @bulkbiker mentions), would be your blood glucose could hve been falling quite rapidly before you ate, so the initial dip ciuld have been the slowing up of the down spike.

You'd hve to try it again, to see how consistent the result was, or if it was an oddity.

Blood glucose forensics can be so infuriating!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be honest that could be down to inconsistencies in your meter with a reading of 6.8 all the time..
They aren't really accurate enough to do the detailed kind of analysis you are trying here which is why most of us look for trends.
I must admit to being slightly surprised at your result although it could be that the fat in the PB flattened the spike but extended it a bit.
My reading was never 6'8 bulkbiker, although two were just above that. I did also wonder if the peanut butter had quelled things!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My reading was never 6'8 bulkbiker, although two were just above that. I did also wonder if the peanut butter had quelled things!
No.. what I meant was your blood sugar level could have for example been 6.8 all the time but your meter could have given the readings you got.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How long was it since you last ate when you had your PB sandwich @coby ?

My initial reaction would have been (leaving aside the option for meter irregularity @bulkbiker mentions), would be your blood glucose could hve been falling quite rapidly before you ate, so the initial dip ciuld have been the slowing up of the down spike.

You'd hve to try it again, to see how consistent the result was, or if it was an oddity.

Blood glucose forensics can be so infuriating!
DCUKMod it was just under 3 hours. My breakfast was at 10am, although I was up at 8am. (found it's better to have it late) so I only had one thin slice of the bread, spread with peanut butter, plus a cuppa. It will be great to find that I can eat a slice now and again! I perhaps need to repeat the experiment tomorrow ;) just to be sure! lol

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No.. what I meant was your blood sugar level could have for example been 6.8 all the time but your meter could have given the readings you got.
Oh I see! Can that happen then?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 2016, late on, and have eaten low carb since them. These days I have breads which are 4 gm of carbs per slice, no problem - I can even eat small amounts of high carb foods without my blood glucose going up - and next morning the scales tell me why I really should not do that.
Long before I was diagnosed with diabetes I was struggling to control my weight, instructed to eat 'healthy' carbs - and I am obviously back in that state now, and have been for well over a year now.
I do try to tell myself that I am still in danger of diabetic complications, to maintain the mindset - but to be honest, I ought to start to take myself out of the house and make some use of this 'Indian Summer' in my life.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fraid so.
Home meters just aren’t that accurate.

Any reading could be inaccurate by 10-15%. The technology is restricted by size and portability, manufacturing costs and variability. Even soap, sweat or food residue on fingers can make a significant difference.

This is why we encourage people to record their results and look for trends with regular meals and trends over time rather than taking a single reading or a single meal as being significant.

This link may help explain.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/iso-accuracy-standards.html

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem for me with bread is that it's not possible to enjoy one slice occasionally unless you freeze it, but then the texture isn't quite the same.

For an occassional treat, I have a box of rice flour crackers made with a variety of whole seeds that are only 1 1/2 carbs each that I enjoy with all types of healthy low carb spreads, sometimes just a pat of butter. They have a wonderful crunch too. I miss artisan breads with thick crusts fresh from the oven the most. :)

Reactions: pcs63

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes our meters are a cheapish bit of kit that is almost universally used but to expect them to be accurate to 0.1 mmol/l at all times is I'm afraid too hopeful.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Okay so I repeated the experiment again today (it's what I'm like) :D My daughter had eaten all the bread but left the crust. Now I realise this is much thicker so it seemed worth trying rather than throw out. I was 5.8 immediately prior to eating (Peanut Butter on again) This time I tested at 1 hour rather than the half hour. My reading was 8.7 (well it was a crust) and then tested after two hours to find I was 7.1. How did I do? Is this reasonable to expect do you all think? I should add that the initial reading of 5.8 is normal for me at that time as it's my first reading of the day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay so I repeated the experiment again today (it's what I'm like) :D My daughter had eaten all the bread but left the crust. Now I realise this is much thicker so it seemed worth trying rather than throw out. I was 5.8 immediately prior to eating (Peanut Butter on again) This time I tested at 1 hour rather than the half hour. My reading was 8.7 (well it was a crust) and then tested after two hours to find I was 7.1. How did I do? Is this reasonable to expect do you all think? I should add that the initial reading of 5.8 is normal for me at that time as it's my first reading of the day.
Its more of a rise than I would be happy with but that's because I'm 3 1/2 years further on from you.
But did you weigh the bread? do you know how many carbs were in the crust.. and how much peanut butter you used.
Random testing is fine but you won't learn a lot apart from bread will raise your blood sugar ..
I would have put money on that happening anyway.
Experimenting with food is good but its way more helpful to know how much you are eating and the resulting impact (well at least that's what I've done on this journey).

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Its more of a rise than I would be happy with but that's because I'm 3 1/2 years further on from you.
But did you weigh the bread? do you know how many carbs were in the crust.. and how much peanut butter you used.
Random testing is fine but you won't learn a lot apart from bread will raise your blood sugar ..
I would have put money on that happening anyway.
Experimenting with food is good but its way more helpful to know how much you are eating and the resulting impact (well at least that's what I've done on this journey).
Bulkbiker .. no I didn't weigh it but would expect it to be twice what the thin slice was yesterday. It was purely an experiment to see what damage it did to me. I've not eaten bread for three years and just had a fancy for a slice yesterday. I am not thinking of buying it in regularly, but just thought that if the results were not too bad then I might just have a slice now and again? I have been back on an eating plan for 11 days now and ... barring the low carb bread .... have rigidly stuck to breakfasts that I know I tolerate and huge mixed salads which I love. I've only been eating two meals per day (never felt hungry in between) and sometimes have a small handful of Brazil, or Pecan nuts or a square of 90 percent Lindt with my coffee break. I've been to hell and back ... eaten irresponsibly and not tested all year until 11 days ago, and the group is really helping xx

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The problem for me with bread is that it's not possible to enjoy one slice occasionally unless you freeze it, but then the texture isn't quite the same.

For an occassional treat, I have a box of rice flour crackers made with a variety of whole seeds that are only 1 1/2 carbs each that I enjoy with all types of healthy low carb spreads, sometimes just a pat of butter. They have a wonderful crunch too. I miss artisan breads with thick crusts fresh from the oven the most. :)
Hi Winnie53 and yes I know what you mean. I bought a half loaf .. so only a few slices .. and my daughter decided that she rather liked it so ate the rest! Haha xx

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've occasionally seen similar patterns but I have no explanation as to why there's a dip!

In general with LCHF if I see any rise it will be a small curve/bump rather than a sharp spike but I've seen a few curved rises with dips from evening meals with a combination of fat and a few too many carbs, e,g, 2 examples from May last year (info on actual foods no longer known):

double_bumps.png

but also one on a much longer/larger scale - having scoffed a 200g dark choc Lindt Easter bunny a couple of years back (slightly under 40g each carbs & fats per 100g weight so not something to be repeated!):

bunny_bump.png

(Logged via Libre sensor & reader, with graphs marked in 2 hourly segments exported from Freestyle software on PC)