A tablespoon of cornflour in Goulash

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Good afternoon everyone,

I am planning to make a nice Goulash with fresh peppers and paprika i brought back from Budapest, Will taste nice with cauliflower rice i think. But to make it thicker i want to use a tablespoon of cornflower in it. I looked it up and it has 5.1 grams of carb in it. This in a pot with almost 0 carb i don't think it will hurt unless there is a better option to thicken the Goulash.

Any ideas on this?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many does it serve? - I use small amounts of flour and corn flour to thicken - it usually works out than less than 1g carb pp - then there is the mantra repeated endlessly- make it eat it and test before and after to see what it does to your blood sugar.
Only by testing will you know if as an individual you can tolerate- it's your diabetes not anyone elses so it's what you can cope with not anyone else :)

Reactions: LucySW

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Goulash soup isnt a thick soup, but theres potatoes and carrot in it, I guess ur skipping on those. But I dont think u need to thicken it with anything. Its all about the beef actually... Greetings from Szentendre, Hungary btw, hope u enjoy the soup! : D

D

Deleted Account

Just did a quick google - corn flour has 91g carbs/100g, plain flour has 76g carbs/100g.
Don't know if this makes much difference. I tend to thicken with plain flour most of the time - the only difference in use is you have to mix it with a little water first.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just to be awkward.... I thicken stews and soups with double cream.

Although I agree with @lovinglife on this - you need to find out if you personally can tolerate it - we are all different.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

maria030660

Dislikes
Hi Miszu,

I put carrots in there and nice beef but no potatoes as we are on low carb. I love goulash

Alan7008

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a little coconut flour to thicken my casseroles and curries - it thickens really well and in something tasty like goulash it should have minimal impact on taste.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't tolerate any flours but sautéed mushrooms and blended make a great thickener. I actually use it as a gravy base.

But my carb tolerance might be lower than yours so yup, test it if you want to try it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would blend a bit of the cauliflower and maybe some carrot for the colour - I have one of those Bamix devices so I can get a fine or coarse result with the different blades - mix in some finely blended to thicken and some coarse chopped for texture.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I served a very thin " gravy" last night as I was going through a similar dilemma. It tasted fine though :)

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could use egg yolk whisked with about a tablespoon off cream, temper it by adding a little of the hot sauce to it before adding to the bulk of sauce.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adding cream would alter the flavour and texture completely and it would no longer be a goulash but more of a stroganoffy type thingy :)

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goulashes can also have sour cream added. It all depends on who's Mama gave you the recipe.

maria030660

Dislikes
I don’t want it too thick and personally I don’t take kindly to cream but I love all the suggestions, tomorrow I will take a picture so all of you can see how it turned out

Reactions: lovinglife
P

pollensa

Hi Miszu,

I put carrots in there and nice beef but no potatoes as we are on low carb. I love goulash

Hello as much as carrots give taste, they have LOTS OF CARBS WHEN COOKED. They have much less carbs raw.

Did you know if you cook small baby potatoes especially red potats are better, let them cool. Squeeze Lemon Juice on them put in fridge, the lemon juice absorbs lots of the carbs. Reheat them next day.

Mallorca