About to get first ever pump!

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mrsass No firm date as yet. But I am going to my diabetic clinic next week as they are having a 'pump; day so various reps are there showing their pumps. So the idea is I choose a pump I like, which after loads of research is the 640G.

I was wondering if I would end up missing the injections, 33 years I have played darts on myself :) Cant wait though!

How often can you change pumps, I am being funded by the NHS and have heard its every 4 years?!?

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Mrsass No firm date as yet. But I am going to my diabetic clinic next week as they are having a 'pump; day so various reps are there showing their pumps. So the idea is I choose a pump I like, which after loads of research is the 640G.

I was wondering if I would end up missing the injections, 33 years I have played darts on myself :) Cant wait though!

How often can you change pumps, I am being funded by the NHS and have heard its every 4 years?!?

That's correct. The warranty and tie in period is 4 years.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too am on the older medtronic model, the Veo.....

I suspect it will be much the same in terms of functionality.......

I should be getting one in about a years time....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

No you won't miss them :)

In the first few days of pumping I was fearful that I'd accidentally take my basal insulin so hid the pen away in a drawer, much like you @Moodle I was on injections for 33 years before making the switch.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
it is wierd not injecting, I grew up doing so so I knew nothing else but after a couple od days it becomes the "norm" not to inject

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yes as @noblehead says - put pens in a draw or hidden away somewhere, I think I would have injected out of habit if I hadn't!

Yeah every 4 years is your 'upgrade' id only had my pump about 7 months when the 640g came out I think, I've got about 18 months till I can get one, I had a play with one at a 'pump day' it's lovely, although I do love my veo :)

Hope you don't have to wait too long for yours :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice @noblehead and @Mrsass! Pens will remain away from me to begin with! :)

I guess its going to become such a big part of my life, much like my Accu Chek expert is at the moment! Its the simple thing I am looking forward to, like having some food while out shopping without having to find a loo nearby! ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm not actually sure where my pens are, which isn't helpful when trying to find them to take to a festival! Still. I know where the spare syringes are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Moodle @tim2000s it's an easy set up for remote blousing, just need to sit down and input my preset boluses on my pump. The reason I think it's not been introduced by the rep is that because I've been tweaking my ratios so much and it's still ongoing that they probably wanted me to settle into a routine with these before activating the remote bolus feature, going to go it a whirl though and will post how I get on ;)

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent! Thanks @Juicyj! Was one of the important features I wanted, ie to give insulin in a discrete way!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum