1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

About to get first ever pump!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Moodle, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Moodle

Moodle Type 1 · Active Member

Hi @Mrsass No firm date as yet. But I am going to my diabetic clinic next week as they are having a 'pump; day so various reps are there showing their pumps. So the idea is I choose a pump I like, which after loads of research is the 640G.

I was wondering if I would end up missing the injections, 33 years I have played darts on myself :) Cant wait though!

How often can you change pumps, I am being funded by the NHS and have heard its every 4 years?!?

• Like Like x 4
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

That's correct. The warranty and tie in period is 4 years.

• Like Like x 2
  3. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I too am on the older medtronic model, the Veo.....

I suspect it will be much the same in terms of functionality.......

I should be getting one in about a years time....

• Like Like x 2
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

No you won't miss them :)

In the first few days of pumping I was fearful that I'd accidentally take my basal insulin so hid the pen away in a drawer, much like you @Moodle I was on injections for 33 years before making the switch.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

it is wierd not injecting, I grew up doing so so I knew nothing else but after a couple od days it becomes the "norm" not to inject

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh yes as @noblehead says - put pens in a draw or hidden away somewhere, I think I would have injected out of habit if I hadn't!

Yeah every 4 years is your 'upgrade' id only had my pump about 7 months when the 640g came out I think, I've got about 18 months till I can get one, I had a play with one at a 'pump day' it's lovely, although I do love my veo :)

Hope you don't have to wait too long for yours :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  7. Moodle

Thanks for the advice @noblehead and @Mrsass! Pens will remain away from me to begin with! :)

I guess its going to become such a big part of my life, much like my Accu Chek expert is at the moment! Its the simple thing I am looking forward to, like having some food while out shopping without having to find a loo nearby! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'm not actually sure where my pens are, which isn't helpful when trying to find them to take to a festival! Still. I know where the spare syringes are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@Moodle @tim2000s it's an easy set up for remote blousing, just need to sit down and input my preset boluses on my pump. The reason I think it's not been introduced by the rep is that because I've been tweaking my ratios so much and it's still ongoing that they probably wanted me to settle into a routine with these before activating the remote bolus feature, going to go it a whirl though and will post how I get on ;)

10. Moodle

Excellent! Thanks @Juicyj! Was one of the important features I wanted, ie to give insulin in a discrete way!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook