1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

About to start (ok, next week)

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Rokaab, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, after much time fretting with much pacing back and forwards I think I'm actually about to start with my pump next week (admittedly this is what I thought back in March but nevermind - disorganisation (not by me) followed by covid delayed it somewhat).
    But now at least I have all the stuff (ahem - ignore the new washing line in the pic - that wasn't meant to be in the pic - oh well)

But yeah I have all the stuff cos it's now going to be done via a WebEx call from Medtronic so that should be fun and games :) - does mean I've been able to unpack everything and have a good look around (you can see I've been really busy with work this morning right? :))

So yeah, I think I'm finally good to go :)

Any advice on insurance, and any other really useful accessories for the Medtronic 670g (or pumps ins general) appreciated :)

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Rokaab

That is great news. Good luck with everything. I am in a similar position to yourself. My pump start date should have been May. I have been contacted this week by the Pump team based locally. They are currently planning remote training for me. The provisional date for this is the end of August, early September. I will be really interested to hear how things go for you

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Fab news @Rokaab :)

Keep us updated please ? I am supposed to be moving to that one some time this year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rokaab

Will do.

For the moment I'm without the sensors that go with it (that I really wanted), apparently it was easier to get approval for the better pump without the sensors than with for the initial funding.
    Whilst I have hypo awareness during the day (unless I've been drinking) I don't when asleep but the consultant reckoned the pump may mean I don't go hypo overnight anymore anyways (uh-huh) so I've gotta try without sensors for the time being - but am still getting the libre at least.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rokaab

Yeah that was the insurance place I thought I'd seen mentioned, but I figured double-checking was wise :) So thanks for linking.
    Will go looking for a pump belt (Amazon is doing very well from me during lockdown/wfh lol) - ah didn't notice your link when replying - will check it out.

7. porl69

I only use the belt at bed time as I clip my pump to my jeans waistband or pocket during the day and tuck the tubing in the waistband as well.

8. Dexta

Dexta Type 1 · Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CE1965

CE1965 · Newbie

To you all, the pump will be a life changer and you will never want to be without it.

I’ve been a T1d for over 35 years and had 3 pumps over the last 10 years. It really is so easy, and don’t worry about bed time, mine just roams free as I found it got to warm in a belt. You will get used to it.
    BUT, do keep a track of your cannula sites and rotate all the time, it will help you in years to come, trust me.
    If you use Fiasp, then you will soon get used to the dual bolus which allows you to delay part of the insulin, it is useful, especially when eating foods that sugar slowly.
    Another trick is keep talking to other users, they are one of the most valuable resources to your learning.
    With regards to insurance, get it as a single named item on your household insurance, it will probably cost you less, not that you are going to lose something that’s connected to you.
    After the pump the second most valuable thing to me is my Dexcom G6 CGM

Good luck and ask questions.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Good luck with it all, @Rokaab - A new adventure begins. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Rokaab ,

Looks like you're on the home straight with it all. Seems like you've had a long wait..

Best of luck.

& hi @CE1965 '

Welcome to the forum. :) Great to have you onboard..
    You sold the idea to me!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rokaab

Thanks all :)

I think its more in case I drop it or break it somehow :)
    I think I may go for the separate insurance that has been suggested though, the last time I had to deal with my contents insurance it took too long for them to deal with it (and the only thing that had been stolen was a tv - literally that was the only thing that was stolen)

Well it probably helps that I can be very persistent, and can persevere when its to my advantage

Yeah, I initially got approved at the beginning of November - so it feels like forever - and yes I am now counting down the hours :) - 1 day 13 hours to go :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jaylee

Staff Member

I'm a patient guy.. Sending all that kit you pictured. They can't back out on you now..
    Believe in yourself & you will be brilliant.! Don't count the final hours. Don't look at the boxes. Your Christmas will come.
    I understand the difference twix "cup half empty" & full. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rokaab

I used to be patient, when I was younger :)
    And yeah last time (just before lockdown), I didn't find out I wouldn't be starting til the day before the appointment that had been set, so I'm very much crossing my fingers still.
    And too late, already been through the boxes completely - well it was staring at me! It had been staring at me since I'd collected it from my hospital clinic

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jaylee

Staff Member

To be fair I suppose.. It's always wise to check the contents.! :D

What day is your appointment?

16. porl69

@Rokaab have a fiddle with the pump buttons to get used to them. It wont do any harm!
    Also house insurance can take an age to "pay up" whereas pump insurance get you a new pump in 24 hours (on average)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rokaab

Given that I'm a bit of a geek there was no way whatsoever it wasn't getting looked at :)
    My appointment is tomorrow morning - so yeah less than a day to go :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rokaab

Well I'm now a cyborg :):):)

The training went well over the internet, including when the first inserter (for the cannula) didn't work (I think I just didn't give it enough welly)
    Have had to hide the pens before I go into autopilot mode for when I have lunch

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. porl69

I found not carrying a pen around really difficult for the first few days and not doing a basal shot in the evening was hard as well. Good idea hiding the pens.....also take the needles off them as well

20. porl69

@Rokaab forget to say, you will soon see why a lot of people put down that they are having a "naked" shower :) When your set change and Libre change is due on the same day.......its the best shower ever :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook