1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Abstenuary February, anyone?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Goonergal, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven’t posted here for a few days, but I don’t have anything exciting to say except that I’ve kept to my food plans and walked every day, a couple of treadmill walks on days when I haven’t gone out to walk. Pleased with myself and differ from others on this thread, I find it easier to cut down everything rather than cut out specific foods.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s the last day of February and in summary, I have walked outside most days, a couple of days indoors on our new treadmill and one day off per week. Food wise I have stuck to my plan of reducing cream and chocolate intake and keeping my portion sizes smaller. Having done this fairly consistently from the last week in January to today, I have succeeded in losing 10 pounds, so very happy with that. I just need to carry on a bit longer to lose a bit more weight.
    Thanks @Goonergal for posting this thread, it’s provided a kick start to me getting back on the straight and narrow.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Great results in just one month @Rachox I’m sure you’ll soon be back to normal.
    I second the thanks to @Goonergal for this thread, it’s important to be accountable, even if it’s only to ourselves.
    For my part I’ve kept away from nuts and nut butter which was my goal and I’ll try to keep it up. There’s no need for me to buy nut butter at all. Nuts are sometimes useful as a travelling meal but I think a small individual pack will stop me grazing. More expensive but for me it’ll be worth the extra expense buying like this.
    I’m still off cream to try to calm my tum and for 2 weeks I thought I’d found the culprit - all was well. However in the last 2 or 3 days the issue has returned. Darn it! - back to the drawing board and a food diary.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a successful month @Rachox and @DJC3 although sorry to hear about your tum, @DJC3

No chocolate here for an entire month, no nut butter. A few too many nuts (but I hadn’t banned them!). This was about behaviour change and breaking a couple of addictions for me, but I did my monthly ‘MOT’ (weigh, measure and blood pressure) this morning and saw improvements in all three. Particularly pleasing as I’ve been ill all month, doing considerably less moving and had far easier access to the fridge with not being at work!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used the month to miss most breakfasts, to drink less alcohol, to not snack on nuts, to eat less chocolate.
    My fasting bg has remained stoically in the high 5s/6s. My weight is the same as at beginning of Feb.
    Worth a try, but my body seems very stubborn :arghh:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Even though I went AWOL , I kept with the resolve to abstain from nuts and cream. Even extended it until yesterday when I made a lowish carb celebration cake with the most superb mocha ganache. Just a small slice. The effect of which would have been negated by the copious quantity of red wine.

An appraisal. ... I weight about 2kg less than I did at the end of January. This last two weeks I have seen BG lows eg, a couple of 3.2, which had me feeling rather groggy, but also had highs of over 8 once or twice. Normally I don’t have such fluctuations, keeping a nice even keel, with fastings between high 5 and high 6, and later in the day average low to mid 5. Also, have felt like eating toast, and only gave in to that craving once.
    Abstention has been a good way to focus on diet, though, and Inwill continue to leave cream off the shopping list, and be more restrained regarding cheese and nuts. So thanknyou for kickstarting this, @Goonergal .

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook