Acarbose (Glucobay) for a Cheat Meal

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
My Doc tells me if I intend to eat an occasional Carby meal I should pop an Acarbose pill prior to the meal, this is in addition to my regular Metformin.

Also, he stated this could be done intermittently without need for buildup and it will help with the spike / control.

Thoughts / Experiences please?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, can't help as I have never heard of that. Where do you get the tablets? I am in UK so will look on line

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you Google it you will get information, I can't link on my phone.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the reaction of the gut flora is anything like the party mine had when I ate some sugar alcohols - you'll find it no picnic - the effect was such massive bloating that I thought I was about to become Geography for several hours, until it worked its way out.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Have you noted the list of side effects? On top of Metformin I'm not sure if I would consider this drug.
As to taking a drug that allow you to have 'cheat' meals what happens when, and this would be a possibility, those cheat meals become an almost daily occurrence?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you, I would read the side effects of Acarbose carefully, and then test your Doc's theory with a carby but not VERY carby meal.

Drug contraindications (like the side effects listed for Acarbose) can make life very miserable indeed. So I would start small!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
My Doc tells me if I intend to eat an occasional Carby meal I should pop an Acarbose pill prior to the meal, this is in addition to my regular Metformin.

Also, he stated this could be done intermittently without need for buildup and it will help with the spike / control.

Thoughts / Experiences please?

My first thought is why?
You want to take more drugs so you can eat a carby meal? seriously?

Hotpepper20000

Cutting out carbs from and grains is not just about BG control. (I don’t limit carbs from above ground vegetables because they don’t rise my BG)
It’s all about over all health. Low carb has eased body aches, PCOS symptoms, headaches and I now have much more energy!!
So even if a drug would keep my BG under control I would chose not to eat higher carb meal.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think you either take metformin or arcobose not both as they have very similar properties regarding blood sugar control.

"The glucose lowering effects of metformin monotherapy and acarbose monotherapy are the same by direct comparison, while metformin is a little better by indirect comparison. This implies that the effect of metformin is at least as good as acarbose's."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4427275/