Accepting diabetes and contentment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unbeliever

It is always good to hear that someone is happy and has come to terms with their disease but I wonder if it is possible for anyone who has not achieved conrol or who suffers from complications in spite of making every effort to avouid them?

I hink that given time we get used o anything- providing things are stable. I found that I could accept that I might well lose the sight of one eye but when both eyes were affected I found acceptance very diffficult.

My siser was told that she was pre-diabetic some years ago. Perhaps because she has other health problems this has never affected her in the least. She has an annulal blood est and that is it.
recenly she was told that she is diabetic so still no treatment - it is just a word to her so she thinks nothing of it.

My diagnosis and the after effecs were all quite raumatic so I take an enirely different iew. i feel as though I am fighting a constant batttle. Mostly without support.

Coming o terms with it and accepting it are enviable sates but much depends upon the individual's experience.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Etty said:
noblehead said:
Thanks searley and thanks Viv! :)

Nigel
Sorry Nigel, although I can see that after 30 yrs.of experience, acceptance seems right to you, for me trying to keep from being diagnosed, it's the last thing I feel. What I want is hope-- and that means the best information on how to reverse the progress of this rising blood sugar level and instability, and a chance to get back to normal levels.

As for `'carboholic``, I don't mind admitting to the description. I'm a sugar addict and have been all my life. It's because I am one, that I'm in the pickle I'm in, and have to avoid foods that are converted to sugar.

Etty...........I hear what your saying as we all would like to be shot of this condition before our days are through.

However sometimes there comes a point that we simply can't hold on to what might be and have to work with and accept what we have got, I often look around and see people with much worse illnesses and conditions than diabetes and thank myself lucky I am not in their shoes, diabetes is a livable condition but I accept that it can be much kinder/worse to some and not others. I wasn't well controlled for years and consider myself lucky that I don't have some of the complications that can develop from uncontrolled diabetes, now I have my control on track I'm determined to keep complications at bay!

The use of words such as 'Carboholics' has no place on a diabetes forum where people manage their condition using various methods and amounts of carbs, this word was being used in a insulting manner lately to cause hurt and offense to certain members of the forum, in my view these people who use such emotive language are the the very ones who have yet to accept their diabetes or are content in their chosen dietary path (why else would they feel the need to use such words?) you'll notice that the vast majority of forum members rarely mention their diet and feel no need to force their own opinions down people's throats.... they are simply here to offer support/advice to others.

Hope you get to reverse your condition soon Etty!

Unbeliever, sorry to hear about your eyes and I'm dismayed that you don't get the help and support you deserve, I agree that accepting diabetes 'depends upon the individuals experience' and meant no harm in posting what I did. Take care!

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't help but feel I should post in this thread... 8)

P.S - Anyone else get the feeling this thread is stirring up a problem that is not there???

Unbeliever

No I don't Patch. I certainly don't feel that Nigel has any need to apoplogise for his post in any way.

It was well balanced and is the result of his considerable experience. It is good to hear that people do eventually , even after many years reach this state.

As with many other threads here it is just an opportunity for people to express their opinions.

Both positive and negative views can be helpful to others.

Nigel has been diabetic for thirty years and has had his struggles but has now found somewhere he is happy to be, others are still on that journey . Plenty there for a variety of people to empathise with . It often helps fo feel hat you are not alone in your opinions and experiences as well as to know that things can ge better.

sugar2

Patch said:
I can't help but feel I should post in this thread... 8)

P.S - Anyone else get the feeling this thread is stirring up a problem that is not there???

no

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Unbeliever said:
I certainly don't feel that Nigel has any need to apoplogise for his post in any way.

Me neither - but it seems like he is asking others to apologise for their posts.

ALL views are EQUALLY valid. That's the point of a forum. We don't have to act/behave the same, but we can expect to be treated the same, no matter what our view. A lot of people forget that.

We're not here to pat each other on the back. (Although a lot of that does go on)...

There's nothing wrong with people not agreeing - that's life!

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment of this thread. If you are content with your diabetes (no matter what your control is like0 more power to you. I wish I could be like that.

Anyway, I'm too hungry to argue. My next shake is not until midday.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

iHs

In many many ways I consider myself lucky with diabetes..........

Lucky because I developed it in the mid 60's just as I was about to start senior school and was stabilised on 1 injection a day. Apart from dealing with the odd hypo every now and again and remembering to eat at regular times together with testing my urine 3 times a day......... diabetes didn't affect my life too much. It was only when I started to inject insulin twice a day in the mid 70's and finding myself needing to treat hypos fairly often, that I then started to resent it. Eventually I came to terms with it, changed to a different biphasic mix so that the hypos were less frequent, used a bg meter to test and so life went on with an average hba1c between 7 - 7.2%.

Apart from getting carpal tunnel syndrome in my late 20's, slight background retinopathy in my right eye (which got better with tighter control) and frozen shoulders......... that's the only agro that being diabetic has caused me. Carpal tunnel was dealt with by small op in hospital, frozen shoulders got better with time and a few MUAs.

I am lucky now that I have got myself onto an insulin pump and I hope very much that in the not too distant future there will be a far better way to monitor bg levels than what we have at present.

Am I content........... well yes I suppose so although it would be nice to be able to spend some years of my life not having to think about bg levels. As others have said, there are far far worse illness's to have than diabetes............ :)

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
noblehead said:
Etty said:
noblehead said:
Thanks searley and thanks Viv! :)

...the vast majority of forum members rarely mention their diet and feel no need to force their own opinions down people's throats.... they are simply here to offer support/advice to others.

Hope you get to reverse your condition soon Etty!

Nigel
The problem is that one person's "support/advice" is another's "forcing opinions down people's throats". Forbearance on both sides is needed.
I have reversed my BG's to normal levels thank you, but have no way of knowing how permanent that is. I've done it with a HFLC diet, so it seems a little ridiculous rarely to mention it.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Accepting any illness ,disability is the key to move forward

To ether Adapt ,Reverse ,Cure, Maintain .Slow progression,or Give uP

If you had your legs removed ,Sounds a bit daft saying you haven't :!: feel Holy Grail coming on

If you have changed your diet and controlled your BG for the better
You must have accepted something was wrong :?: or you would not have changed lifestyle or diet

Contentment Thats whole other kettle of fish :
Quality of life. Family support job money ect pewwwww getting way toooo deep for me

[youtube]fdSLP-qz_fw[/youtube]

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Etty said:
[I have reversed my BG's to normal levels thank you, but have no way of knowing how permanent that is. I've done it with a HFLC diet, so it seems a little ridiculous rarely to mention it.

Here's hoping your diet keeps those bg's normal for a long time to come! :)

Nigel

liklejojo

Just wanted to say that I agree with most things said on this thread, It is really nice to ready about the positives and how people are coping and accepting their diabetes.

Mine too came very late, I think I was in permanent denial for about 9-10 years, just letting my DN sort me out and hoping it would all go away... however the last 5 years and in particular this last 2 years being on the pump has helped me to understand what I have and what it will do to me if I don't keep tight control... and it is hard to keep good control I have some weeks where I can be really good and others where I'm impressed I've not been admitted to hospital but It's all part of the learning curve.. and it can be a good thing as i've just gone completely back to basics, re-calculating my basal's and bolus's.

I'd say that I'm a lot comfier talking to people about my diabetes than I was years ago - I used to hide it. But now, i'm happy for people to ask me questions because to me it promotes awareness of diabetes and also they wouldn't ask questions if they weren't curious or interested in helping if they can.

I don't have any complications as yet - other than mild diabetic retinopathy so I count myself incredibly lucky after 15 years with the disease. I do worry though!!!

And as always I'm still trying to work to the ... Diabetes doesn't own me, I own it theory :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great post liklejojo! :)

Nigel

Lucyx

Hi

Im new to the site and forum. Ive had type 1 diabetes for 18 years now and have always struggled with it. I have got better over the last few years but am afraid that I still feel im in denial about it now... I realise how serious the complications are but still seem to find it hard to accept and find im angry with it alot of the time and have trouble coping some days/weeks. Sometinmes im ok then i find myself slipping again....I think myself lucky to not have lots of complications after all the years i have had it and it has not been under control (i have background retinopathy) Up until a couple of years ago i never spoke to anyone or told anyone about it... now i find it easier to talk about and want to finally sort it out before i do permanant damage to myself...I really want to come to terms with it now and accept that its not going to go away and find a way to cope with it than try to fight it all the time. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Lucy and welcome to the forum :) The way to reduce the risk of complications is to take control of your diabetes and obtain the best levels possible. This information might help you to start doing that even though you are not newly diagnosed:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

Lucyx

Hi Daisy
Thanks for your quick response. I have always struggled to keep my levels under control and they are never stable-always up and down. I was much worse when i was younger-never testing my blood, missing injections and eating what i wanted when i wanted...i get weeks where they are better than others (usually when im eating better and testing more!)but this never lasts long, i just find the whole process takes over my life and feel drained from it, then it slips again and im in this vicious circle...i try to eat similar meals each day to avoid having to adjust my insulin doses. To be honest with you its not the practical side of the diabetes that i stuggle with- i do the blood tests and injections and i understand about carbohydrate counting etc its just the day to day battle and constant worry that really gets me down and has an impact on the way i feel about it and my blood sugar for that matter. I feel like its been this way for so long im never going to be able to change the way i feel about having diabetes. I try to be positive about it but i hate it!

NewdestinyX

bowell said:
If you have changed your diet and controlled your BG for the better
You must have accepted something was wrong :?: or you would not have changed lifestyle or diet
The 'rub', if you will, is sort of in your statement there, Bowell. Generally I receive your input well about this topic and I 'love' your light sarcasm and the videos you post. But in your statement there is a subtle (even though unwitting) incorrect attempt at an 'equivalency'. Diabetes is NOT 'something wrong' that you 'did'.. It just happened. It's a disease that's genetic based. And it's only 'behavior affected' (in its onset that is) for only some people who have it. So the 'subtle' theme that Nigel alludes to I see in 'many posts'. There is a sort of unintentional (sometimes intentional) elitism that rises from people who control with very lo carb regimens. And the 'subtle' but still very palpable 'judgement' is there too often for my tastes.

Listen - carbs are the 'only' macronutrient that raises blood glucose levels (yes, I know that gluconeogenesis turns protein to glucose and that the liver can dump at will - don't get sidetracked -- stick with me.. ). So it's a no brainer that if you limit those carbs BG levels will go down. But we'd all admit that that's manageing the 'symptoms' only. Controlling diabetes is surely about managing symptoms - no problem there but it rarely gets at the 'root cause' which is why we don't have a cure yet. And the more important point in my paragraph here is that it can create 'myopia'. More later..

So you combine that irrefutable cause & effect (lower carbs = lower bg levels) with people's distaste for, fear of oral or injected meds then finally combined with the world's increasing love for 'naturalistic/homeopathic' approaches to health management - there emerges a 'purist' mentality on many disease forums (not just diabetes) that there is 'a pure way' to travel when fighting this disease.

Then as you're being led down that path comes the issue of 'quality of life'. I would challenge any one on this forum who's chosen the very lo carb route to tell us with certainty that if they could be cured from diabetes they would 'keep eating' the 'exact same way' they eat now BECAUSE of their diabetes - with regard to carbs. Though I like my more 'balanced way of life now' with MANY less carbs than I ate before -- starchy carbs are just plain 'quality of life enhancer'. They also can produce endorfins to ease stress. Triptophan is in many starchy carbs too which aids in 'stress reduction'.

Then mix into it -- that fact of different personality types. There are many Type A's that can just take the bull by the horns and STOP something forever and actually 'learn to' enjoy their new chosen life of next to no carbs. I APPLAUD THEM!!!!!! As long as they don't end up 'going postal' and killing someone some day because of the stress they can't control becuase they're myopically overfocussed on their BG levels. Our BG levels being good is NOT the TOTALITY of life. Keeping them 'low enough' so that they don't cause us complications IS the 'end' for every diabetic. But each must decide the tradeoffs in other areas of their health. STRESS related disorders are the number 1 exacerbater of the top killers of mankind - heart disease, etc..

For me to want 'some carbs' - starchy lovely ones 'in my toolbox' of things to aid with quality of life does NOT make me an 'addict'. It makes me/us 'human'.

Any word ending in "----holic" speaks to a set of 'character flaws' or 'mental flaws'. That makes carboholic 'inherently' a 'judgemental' term. There's no arguing that point. It's also misapplied -- in that the 'original word' "alcoholic" refers to a substance the human body does NOT need to live: alcohol. The body does require carbohydrate to live -- or more accurately put it needs 'glucose' to live. And for the body to be 'at harmony' with itself and not in starvation it needs 'some carb' as a source for some of the needed brain glucose at least.

This is my 4th diabetic forum I've participated in and the themes are pretty much the same with regard to dieting. It's the most divisive topic. Divisive, is okay -- if it's just stated as a matter of 'choices' each has personally made. But even 'subtle statements' like Bowell's I quote above - can send (even unintentionally) this subtle 'elitism' that Nigel refers to originally in this thread. There is no supposed 'purer' path to controlling BG levels. There are only 'different tools' in your toolbox. I choose a low-moderate level of carbs and very little rapid acting insulin and high mileage biking and my regimen. This approach has yielded for me - no OFF THE WAGON moments of any kind. No binges. So many people I've read who severaly restrict carbs fall off the wagon often. Why? Because the body and MIND need something 'more'. And the toolbox I've chosen keeps me just as controlled and with A1c's rivalling any very-low to low carber on the forum. So if I can get to the same control goals eating more carbs and not gaining weight -- in fact still losing weight - what in the world would make me consider restricting myself more? BUT -- that's just me. Many paths to the same goal, gang - which are control and complication avioidance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Grant,

What ''elitism'' is it I am supposed to ''allude'' too? :?

I just don't think you have read my post or indeed understood what I was trying to say, you couldn't be further from the truth if you think that I control my diabetes with a ''very lo carb regimens'' as I eat on average 130g of carbs a day over a 7 day period!

In future you may want to think carefully before labelling people and categorising them into boxes.

Regards

Nigel

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Blimey NewdestinyX
You had to go right back to the 28th July to have a POP :!:

Did you miss the Quick Reply button at bottom of the page :lol:

Way too much verbal diarrhea there for me mate

[youtube]d2FT4FprxDg[/youtube]

NewdestinyX

noblehead said:
Grant,

What ''elitism'' is it I am supposed to ''allude'' too? :?

I just don't think you have read my post or indeed understood what I was trying to say, you couldn't be further from the truth if you think that I control my diabetes with a ''very lo carb regimens'' as I eat on average 130g of carbs a day over a 7 day period!

In future you may want to think carefully before labelling people and categorising them into boxes.

Regards

Nigel
Nigel you've clearly misread my post. I'm squarely on your side and understood your post perfectly and attempted to amplify your point. It's not those of us who moderate our carbs that struggle with the 'elitism' it's those who use the term 'carboholic'. Read my post again a little more carefully. All my words 'completely' supported your views. Can't imagine any other interpretation. :-?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
NewdestinyX said:
It's not those of us who moderate our carbs that struggle with the 'elitism' it's those who use the term 'carboholic'.

Why are we reigniting this?

Check out the following link and tell me how many derogatory uses of the word "carboholic" you can find:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=carboholic

I'll give you a clue: The answer is strictly less than 1.

This is a non-problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.