accidental overdose of insulin

Mike E

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I normally take 24 units of by basal insulin at night just before going to bed and pre meals 4/5 units of my bolus. Thursday whilst watching TV and distracted I took 24 units of my bolus by mistake. This lead to a night in hospital and on a glucose drip. I felt awful not only physically but that I have caused worry to my wife and waisted valuable NHS time when despite being a mistake was self inflicted. I have been diagnosed LADA only two years ago and still struggling to get to grips with the whole thing.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
sorry to hear of your experience.
I have done this myself in the moring and took a 24units of bolus instead of 24 of basal. But i knew i had made the mistake straight away and so immediately drank a bottle of Lucozade followed by a lot of glucose tablets. Think the thing to do is get quick acting glucose into you straight away. Do loads of blood tests to make sure you are keeping sugars up. If it drops take more glucose tablets. I ate so much of them it was difficult to absorb them. When i started to get ahead and sugars was out of danger I ate some longer lasting carbs but not too many in case haveing to go back to glucose tablets. You can get add on timers for pens which may help to remember when you last injected. Also the echo pen for Levimer is very good as it records time and dose.
I am type 1 for 50 years.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Mike E
welcome to the forum :)
you aren't the first person to do this ( trust me done it myself ) and have read a fair few other people have done the same.

Insulin is a medicine that does need to be treated with caution due to the potential consequences of an overdose.
here is a link to a company that supplies pen reminders www.insulcheck.com

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have done that once, long time type 1 and I rang 111 to ask for advice. Information was taken and the call handler said a nurse would call be back. She did and advised me to eat so many carbs and keep testing. She said she would call me at 4 am and if I didn't reply, an ambulance would be sent immediately. She rang back promptly and asked me what my BS was like now and was happy that I was alert and safe ( although very tired) and BS was good. I am the only adult in the house.
Hope you are feeling better now, best wishes RRB

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,
I normally take 24 units of by basal insulin at night just before going to bed and pre meals 4/5 units of my bolus. Thursday whilst watching TV and distracted I took 24 units of my bolus by mistake. This lead to a night in hospital and on a glucose drip. I felt awful not only physically but that I have caused worry to my wife and waisted valuable NHS time when despite being a mistake was self inflicted. I have been diagnosed LADA only two years ago and still struggling to get to grips with the whole thing.
Glad youre feeling better now. It must have been scary experienced! It happens to everyone and if search on this forum you will find many posts like yours

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
it is something that every diabetic taking insulin will do at least once in their life and practically I have done it a few more.
As you get more experienced you will be more able to deal with this without needing hospital and will know which foods will work best and how much you will need to eat. for a first time it must have been scary

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You poor thing. As everyone has said, this is going to happen one day. Thank goodness you're okay.

You didn't waste NHS resources, by the way. You needed them !

Yes, look at the memory thing we can fit to the top of our pens. Timesulin.

Also consider getting Echo pens - they do a red and a blue and you can use red for bolus and blue for basal, so they look different.