Accu-Chek Software & Windows 7

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have been trying to install the free Accu-Chek Compass software onto my new computer which is running Windows 7. The software installed OK but the infra-red connection kept asking for a driver, which I cannot find. I called Accu-Chek who told me that the software is out of date and has been replaced by a new version (called ?-pix). They now charge £20 for this software (previously it's been free!) then they said that if I purchased it they wouldn't guarantee that it will work with Windows 7, as it hasn't been tested on this system at all.

What are they spending all their profit from the test sticks on then?? Does anyone know of a meter that has free software which will run on Windows 7 please?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Has Windows 7 got the option to run programs in 'compatability mode' as Windows Vista has ? You may find it all works fine if you can run the program that way. I have used Compass Software myself and know it works fine on Vista/XP etc downwards. Make sure before you try installing the Compass Software that ALL Windows Updates and Security Updates are up to date. Might possibly fix your compatability issues.

Moral is, always check programs for compatabilty BEFORE changing to a brand new OS...... :(

Might be worth phoning them again and just 'blagging' them that you are going to change your meter to another make unless they help you out and that you test frequently etc etc.......might just get you a free upgrade (rather than £20 cost) to the Smart -Pix device and the free download software, once you are registered. Might not work with Win7 yet but I am sure that in time Accu-Chek will update the software once there are enough users of Win7. It is very early days for the OS yet.

Good luck with it.

FordPrefect

I am gonna ring them on monday I'll let you know how I get on if I dont get the software free I'll go back to my freestyle light next time sod em. Why am I gonna pay for accu-chek software when can get it free on other meter.

TheTartanPimpernel

Right click n the exe icon, select properties then elect to run as XP or whatever. If you don't have an icon n the desktop browse to program files locate the directory that contains the prog, select the exe file, right click etc, etc.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I would probably try to get hold of a copy of Windows XP, which is the last (only?) half-decent operating system produced by Microsoft. Vista and 7 are FULL of reliability, compatibility and security issues, and really not worth bothering with.

The fact that you still have to install anti-virus software on top of Microsoft's offerings tells its own sad and sorry little story. But XP is just about OK! And then you could also jump ship entirely to Apple and the wonderful world of UNIX... (like I did)

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to you all for the comments and advice. The good news is that, thanks to my computer-wizz-kid son, the whole thing works on Windows 7 just as good as it did on the old system.
The missing driver was for the serial to USB adapter (why they don't just fit a USB plug on the infra-red device I can't imagine). He managed to get the driver for Windows 7 from the manufacturers website and - hey presto - it sprang into life!
If anyone else is having similar problems here is the website address:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

So Accu-Chek wont be selling the software that they said I would need after all.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Brilliant find mrburden I just downloaded it and will install it on my windows 7 loaded back up PC so I can run my Accu Chek Compass software on it, thanks :D

Kegs, windows 7 is very stable and also very secure, much better than Vista was, although based on the vista os, its Vista as it should have been, had it running since August and not had any problems at all.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Sid Bonkers said:
Kegs, windows 7 is very stable and also very secure, much better than Vista was
Hardly a sparkling recommendation?

Windows certainly isn't secure, it's written specifically not to be, but probably best not to get into a Windows/OS X debate...

brianwd

Just wanted to add my two cents regarding the Compass software and Windows 7. I was unable to get the right driver software for my usb to serial converter so I purchased this new one on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Serial-1ports-Dongle-Support-Vista-Win-7_W0QQitemZ160388980435QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2557ed9ed3) which claimed Win7 compatibility. It arrived yesterday - I installed the Vista drivers - set the software to run in XP Compatibility mode - confirmed the comm port selections for the driver and the software matched and am now up and running again with Compass. It would have been nice if I could have done it for free but the old converter didn't have any manufacturer markings on it and I just couldn't find the right driver so in the end it was worth the $10 (I spent a little more on one marked as Win7 compatible). PS - I did try to run it initially under regular Windows 7 and while connecting to the meter it totally crashed my machine - I rebooted and set the program to run in XP mode and all is well.

tanj666

Dislikes
cheese
Hi,

I've got the new thing they told you about - it's called SmartPix. Yes it costs £20. But its a hardware device and not just software.

It reads both the pump and the meter and displays graphs of whats going on.

You can save the graphs as .pdf files but you can't save the source data in a format you could read into a spreadsheet which I find annoying.

The graphs are useful however, but they do need to be looked at carefully. The graphs show the last two weeks of data at a time and can be overlaid week by week, day by day etc. great for showing where problems might be in case the constant hypo at 6pm for instance. You can map basal rates and boluses against bG readings on the graphs.

Overall, because I like pictures I do like it.

Cheers

Anthony

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
UPDATE...
I just received a letter from Accu-Chek offering me a free upgrade from the Compass software to their 360* software...but that, according to Accu-Chek, still is not compatible with Windows 7! I phoned them and asked if there was any other software available free that is W7 compatible and they offered me the "Smart Pix" gear free of charge.
She did mention that they are likely to offer the Smart Pix as a free upgrade later this year any way but if you're looking to get it sooner you could try a call.

B@rnstormer

Dislikes
Coriander
I'm weighing up whether or not to fork out the £24 for the Smart-Pix (or finding a way to get them to give it to me for free :wink: ). I work in IT/Telecomms support and am a lover of gadgets, so it's just another addition to my collection really if I decide to go for it.

Is it worth the £24?

Incidentally, working in IT Support I'm exposed to Windows XP, Vista and 7 every day and Windows 7 is proving very popular with most users I speak to, giving very few problems so far in my experience. In several sets of tests carried out and published elsewhere online, where the 3 operating systems were each performance benchmarked on the same PC hardware under the same simulated conditions, XP came up trumps in the vast majority of situations (heavy graphics processing, complicated mathematical calculations, time taken to calculate pi to however many decimal places, etc etc). XP outperforms 7 and Vista in the real world, it's just not as pretty and as it's older, there are more viruses out there designed to attack it. I spent 7 hours today removing a virus from an XP machine belonging to a famous hotel chain. It's what I do.

I'm rambling, sorry.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Barnstormer, when I failed to load the Accu Chec 360 software onto my main PC newly equipped with win 7, I was told that "they are working on it" she told me that the Smart Pix software would run on it but as it is so basic that I probably wouldn't want it after using Compass and more lately 360 on my XP system.

As you seem a bit of a techie you might be better off leaving the Accu Chek camp and looking at the new Contour USB meter from Bayer, mmmm shiny gadget!! 8) Theres an advert for it and a special £3.50 off deal on the forums main site page

Quote from the Bayer Site
"Q: What is the CONTOUR USB operating system compatibility?

A: Bayer’s CONTOUR® USB Blood Glucose Monitor is currently compatible with Window® 7, Windows® XP (SP3) and Vista® (SP2) as well as Mac OS 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) and 10.5.8 (Intel® 64 bit processors)."

B@rnstormer

Dislikes
Coriander
Hi, Sid Bonkers.

I've had my eye on the contour USB, it looks really good, but I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the test strips for it on prescription. I've not looked into whether I can or not yet.

Thanks for the reply

Crisnevius

mrburden said:
Thanks to you all for the comments and advice. The good news is that, thanks to my computer-wizz-kid son, the whole thing works on Windows 7 just as good as it did on the old system.
The missing driver was for the serial to USB adapter (why they don't just fit a USB plug on the infra-red device I can't imagine). He managed to get the driver for Windows 7 from the manufacturers website and - hey presto - it sprang into life!
If anyone else is having similar problems here is the website address:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

So Accu-Chek wont be selling the software that they said I would need after all.
There are a lot of drivers on the site you mention. Please inform which one you used to make Windows 7 comunicate with accu check Mobile. In my case the Reports option works fine. The Data Transfer cannot see the device. Strange but it worked once. I am using Smart Pix Software version 1.2.0 It cannot assign the device To the Patient because it does not see it. Sorry for the typo, iam using an iPad.
Setting compatibility mode on the program makes no diffence.

Crisnevius

FordPrefect said:
Only works for the software itself wont work with the device drivers for getting the hardware working however
Please be more specific. In my case the function Reports works. The reports sofware resides in the Mobile. The Reports are stupid and you cannot present them to uour doctor.
Hoewever the Data Transfer does not work in Windows 7. Even in compatibility mode.