Accuracy of GlucoMen Blood Testing Meter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Medical Practice I belong to has recently changed the type of blood testing meters issued to Diabetes patients.
I have type 2 Diabetes (taking tablets to control), and had previously been issued with a Bayer Contour meter.
The meter I am now using is a GlucoMen meter.
The test results I am getting are consistently something like 50% higher than those obtained using the Contour meter.
Have other people had this experience?
I am quite shocked at the sudden, and maintained, change in my blood sugar test results.
The results from the Bayer Contour meter were in line with my twice yearly HbA1C blood tests, and I had faith in the results from the Contour meter.
The GlucoMen gives me no confidence at all.
I would appreciate feedback.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been using a Contour LX now for about 4 months without any problems. Seems pretty much in line with my HbA1c tests.

Check your readings by getting a free test at Lloyds chemist? Maybe you have a faulty machine.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS is having to make cuts across all their departments and the diabetic clinics are no exception. As a result, CCGs are switching to cheaper alternatives so it's probably no surprise that accuracy is less. With something as important as testing, I would always stick to a big brand name company such e.g. Bayer, Freestyle, Accu-check

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS is having to make cuts across all their departments and the diabetic clinics are no exception. As a result, CCGs are switching to cheaper alternatives so it's probably no surprise that accuracy is less. With something as important as testing, I would always stick to a big brand name company such e.g. Bayer, Freestyle, Accu-check
I very much agree here. I was issued the GlucoMen by our local Practice (though oddly enough didn't have to return the Bayer Contour meter. I was informed that the reason for being issued with a GlucoMen was so that the Practice would save money on the test strips.
Unless I am mistaken, this now appears to be a case of saving a few pence in exchange for use of an inferior product. The GlucoMen with its Glucojet lancets and GlucoMen test strips LOOKS cheap.
But if this kit gives results which are a nonsense then what on earth is the point in "saving a bit of money"!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I very much agree here. I was issued the GlucoMen by our local Practice (though oddly enough didn't have to return the Bayer Contour meter. I was informed that the reason for being issued with a GlucoMen was so that the Practice would save money on the test strips.
Unless I am mistaken, this now appears to be a case of saving a few pence in exchange for use of an inferior product. The GlucoMen with its Glucojet lancets and GlucoMen test strips LOOKS cheap.
But if this kit gives results which are a nonsense then what on earth is the point in "saving a bit of money"!!

Absolutely GreyPanther! Typical NHS being short sighted and saving money in the short term at the expense of the long term, and we are the pawns in the game.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd been using a GlucoMen LX meter for 4 or 5 years and my results had always been in line with my HbA1C blood tests so I moved onto a GlucoMen LX PLUS a couple of years ago which works as well as the LX did. You could try ringing them on 0800 243 667 or 01189 444128

I registered my meters on their website http://www.glucomen.co.uk/ so that I can get free batteries, Control Solution & log books.

Obviously it's each to their own but I think these meters are great!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd been using a GlucoMen LX meter for 4 or 5 years and my results had always been in line with my HbA1C blood tests so I moved onto a GlucoMen LX PLUS a couple of years ago which works as well as the LX did. You could try ringing them on 0800 243 667 or 01189 444128

I registered my meters on their website http://www.glucomen.co.uk/ so that I can get free batteries, Control Solution & log books.

Obviously it's each to their own but I think these meters are great!

I'm with you Bor (or Pat)

I've been using the Glucomen LX since diagnosis in June and have had no rpoblems with it other than the same tolerances that all meters seem to have.

I also have an AccuChek Mobile, which I was trialling for exercise, but ot was awful. Kept telling me the blood drop was too small when I'd just done a comparison test on the Glucomen no problem, the accuchek when I could get it to read was consistently reading about 2 mmol/l lower than the Glucomen pre-exercise, and higher post exercise.

I've now gotten myself a spare Glucomen for sport and exercise

Type1Jim

I'm with you Bor (or Pat)

I've been using the Glucomen LX since diagnosis in June and have had no rpoblems with it other than the same tolerances that all meters seem to have.

I also have an AccuChek Mobile, which I was trialling for exercise, but ot was awful. Kept telling me the blood drop was too small when I'd just done a comparison test on the Glucomen no problem, the accuchek when I could get it to read was consistently reading about 2 mmol/l lower than the Glucomen pre-exercise, and higher post exercise.

I've now gotten myself a spare Glucomen for sport and exercise

Hi,

I have used a glucomen meter for some time, but have tried several other makes (although not the contour) when I see new ones advertised. I have always gone back to the Glucomen as it is simple to use and gives results which are consistent with how I feel. They have very good and helpful Customer Service too. The Abbott meter i tried gave very odd results.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I suppose that the meters and testing strips are, at the moment, cheaper. I reckon the price may well go up once people have been transferred on to this meter. Test strips et al from others may well go down. It is a market place.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have used a glucomen meter for some time, but have tried several other makes (although not the contour) when I see new ones advertised. I have always gone back to the Glucomen as it is simple to use and gives results which are consistent with how I feel. They have very good and helpful Customer Service too. The Abbott meter i tried gave very odd results.

I agree with your comment about the customer service. Some time back I kept getting an error code and, eventually, rang them to find out what was wrong. They asked me to read out the lot number then apologised profusely saying it was a known bad batch. I get 3 boxes per month so they sent me 3 new boxes and told me to throw the others away!

Result.

Pat

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a glucomen meter however this is not my every day one I only have this as a spare and also it reads blood ketones and my accu check doesn't do this.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Glucomen LX Plus and its been great. They also sent me a spare. I registered too and have replacement batteries and a replacement lancet device. Excellent customer service. X

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use both of then, as well as the freestyle.
They all read a very similar number for me.