ADHD, anyone?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I smiled at this. It brought a memory to mind. In the UK 'drinking' is often euphemism for drinking alcohol. Some years ago, when my disabled husband was seeing a hospital consultant, the consultant asked if he drinks. To which my husband replied "No, my wife will not take me to the pub". It was just laziness by the consultant that he had not asked if my husband drinks enough water, but it raised a laugh.
Ah, yeah... Water and tea/tisanes, occasional cappuccino! ;)

...Yep, sometimes I still botch it with my English. Thanks for making this a memorable -because very funny- thing to remind me to clarify exactly what I'm ingesting, haha!

Totally inappropriate here, but when I was in Canada, 18 years old and looking for detangler, I kept asking for anti- k-l-i-t. ("K-l-i-t " being a "tangle" in Dutch). Sometimes when you learn something about a language, it'll stick better if you make a total idiot out of yourself in a supermarket. :)

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
..Itchy... Hairline...

I'm still hoping it's just a hay fever flare, but I've been having a burning itch in my scalp-area since last night. Ears too. Still... The dex worked wonderfully in all other ways, so I'm hoping, almost against hope, here, that it can be sorted by switching brands. If that's the issue, rather than the seasonal stuff...

I don't know what happened with my kidneys and bladder, don't think I'll ever find out now. But histamines sound likely. I do drink a lot, but the swelling seemed like more than what could be blamed purely on the not weeing.

Onwards, upwards..!
Jo
I am lucky I don't suffer with hayfever. Summertime allergies like that are miserable afflictions. My itchy rash along my hairline is an autoimmune response to gluten. When the itchy, slightly painful, actually burning is a better descriptor, pimply things first flared up I thought it was either my shampoo or the conditioner i was using, so I changed them, and changed them again. My skin is very sensitive to body products: soaps, shampoos, deodorants and such like so I naturally figured they were the culprits, but unfortunately no it had nothing to do with the products. I take antihistamines now. They definitely help, certainly with the urticaria rashes. :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am lucky I don't suffer with hayfever. Summertime allergies like that are miserable afflictions. My itchy rash along my hairline is an autoimmune response to gluten. When the itchy, slightly painful, actually burning is a better descriptor, pimply things first flared up I thought it was either my shampoo or the conditioner i was using, so I changed them, and changed them again. My skin is very sensitive to body products: soaps, shampoos, deodorants and such like so I naturally figured they were the culprits, but unfortunately no it had nothing to do with the products. I take antihistamines now. They definitely help, certainly with the urticaria rashes. :)
I've tried topical steroids, which did nothing, so switched to an antihistamine tablet. Don't usually take those, because they give me headaches. After 4 pm now, and I'm finally a tad less itchy, she typed in between scratches, and I don't know whether it's due to the tablet, or the side effect having run its course. When there is so much to keep track of, sensitivities, allergies etc, how on earth does one decide what's what, differentiate, treat with what's on hand...!? It is maddening, and when I read everything you're juggling, I wish I knew how, too. There's just too much, and more keeps being added. Aaargh! It's so frustrating! And I am quite sorry you're in much the same boat... Nice to hear some "I get it" in amongst the opposite I'm getting elsewhere though. Scepticism, mostly. Because once again, I must be lying, right? Thank god the people who treat me do listen. Still trying to get used to that!

• Friendly
Reactions: Melgar and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally inappropriate here, but when I was in Canada, 18 years old and looking for detangler, I kept asking for anti- k-l-i-t. ("K-l-i-t " being a "tangle" in Dutch). Sometimes when you learn something about a language, it'll stick better if you make a total idiot out of yourself in a supermarket. :)
Not me trying to buy a pack of rolling tobacco (shag in Dutch, which very much looks like an English word) in London when I was 17, and asking the older gentleman behind the counter in my politest English: "Can I have a shag please?"

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not me trying to buy a pack of rolling tobacco (shag in Dutch, which very much looks like an English word) in London when I was 17, and asking the older gentleman behind the counter in my politest English: "Can I have a shag please?"
And us Dutch folks wonder why we have a reputation abroad.... ;)

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's too funny. I have a similar story, well some girl friends of mine do. They travelled from Québec to British Columbia. Québec being a francophone province and BC an anglophone one. They were in the bank and one of my friends, in broken English, she speaks only French, asked the cashier to put some money in her account, but it sounded like she wanted to put some money in her c***. Everyone in the bank spun around and stared at her. So funny.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried topical steroids, which did nothing, so switched to an antihistamine tablet. Don't usually take those, because they give me headaches. After 4 pm now, and I'm finally a tad less itchy, she typed in between scratches, and I don't know whether it's due to the tablet, or the side effect having run its course. When there is so much to keep track of, sensitivities, allergies etc, how on earth does one decide what's what, differentiate, treat with what's on hand...!? It is maddening, and when I read everything you're juggling, I wish I knew how, too. There's just too much, and more keeps being added. Aaargh! It's so frustrating! And I am quite sorry you're in much the same boat... Nice to hear some "I get it" in amongst the opposite I'm getting elsewhere though. Scepticism, mostly. Because once again, I must be lying, right? Thank god the people who treat me do listen. Still trying to get used to that!
Thanks :) Topical steroids and antihistamines are not very effective, I have found. So I take the tablets. I know, keeping track of these sensitivities is an issue not to mention the drug interactions. You need to be a pharmacist just navigate the drugs! I also feel like I'm making things up as I tell my Dr what's going on. I have become self conscious. It's a good job my Dr is so nice and understanding.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I smiled at this. It brought a memory to mind. In the UK 'drinking' is often euphemism for drinking alcohol. Some years ago, when my disabled husband was seeing a hospital consultant, the consultant asked if he drinks. To which my husband replied "No, my wife will not take me to the pub". It was just laziness by the consultant that he had not asked if my husband drinks enough water, but it raised a laugh.
Reminds me of the psychologist asking my autistic nephew while trying to find out if he had mental health issues " do you hear voices?" to which my nephew replied "I hear you" . The doctor then said " do you hear voices in your head" so my nephew replied "I hear them in my ears. Do you not know how hearing works?"

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reminds me of the psychologist asking my autistic nephew while trying to find out if he had mental health issues " do you hear voices?" to which my nephew replied "I hear you" . The doctor then said " do you hear voices in your head" so my nephew replied "I hear them in my ears. Do you not know how hearing works?"
Oh, I've done some of those horrible tests in relation to my depression, and there are always questions where you know they mean something but the question says something different literally.
Answer truthfully with a good grasp on language and you suddenly score points on psychosis instead of valuing correctly worded questions.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He's not wrong! ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my friends and family, but really... Every time I have an allergic reaction that makes my throat swell, and/or my kidneys quit working, and they tell me to just stick it out for a few weeks until the "side effects" go away...

A person can't go without urinating for more than a day or so, before things get toxic.

Air? Air, I kind of need, 24/7.

But, yeah, this is just me giving up too easily. I've taken pills these past weeks that have almost consistently tied to kill me. I spent the afternoon in bed, making sure I kept breathing, and wondering at what point to call an ambulance. But no, of course... I give up too easily. I didn't bother mentioning the tightness in my chest, because you know, it's just me being dramatic or whatever.

The swelling is going down a little now. Still hoarse, but breathing a little easier. I contacted the nurse and told her about it all, we'll speak again next week. I have already asked for Bupropion, but I have little hope for it. I've been on many antidepressants, and all of them reacted to conditions I already have, exacerbating things. (And I stuck with it for 18 months, so yeah... I do NOT give up easily). So have little hope there, and am counting on my many books and possibly that therapist to help me get a grip on things. But I will try it, see what it gets me. And hope it doesn't try to kill me either.

When I went into this, I just expected a ton of migraines, which is my most usual side effect. This... This I did not see coming. Sheesh.

Thanks for listening.
Jo

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my friends and family, but really... Every time I have an allergic reaction that makes my throat swell, and/or my kidneys quit working, and they tell me to just stick it out for a few weeks until the "side effects" go away...

A person can't go without urinating for more than a day or so, before things get toxic.

Air? Air, I kind of need, 24/7.

But, yeah, this is just me giving up too easily. I've taken pills these past weeks that have almost consistently tied to kill me. I spent the afternoon in bed, making sure I kept breathing, and wondering at what point to call an ambulance. But no, of course... I give up too easily. I didn't bother mentioning the tightness in my chest, because you know, it's just me being dramatic or whatever.

The swelling is going down a little now. Still hoarse, but breathing a little easier. I contacted the nurse and told her about it all, we'll speak again next week. I have already asked for Bupropion, but I have little hope for it. I've been on many antidepressants, and all of them reacted to conditions I already have, exacerbating things. (And I stuck with it for 18 months, so yeah... I do NOT give up easily). So have little hope there, and am counting on my many books and possibly that therapist to help me get a grip on things. But I will try it, see what it gets me. And hope it doesn't try to kill me either.

When I went into this, I just expected a ton of migraines, which is my most usual side effect. This... This I did not see coming. Sheesh.

Thanks for listening.
Jo
Ditto what @Outlier said above. Jo I have told you more than once how important you have been to me and my recovery, and that's you just the way you are. Words on a page are just words on a page and none of us truly know what each others lives look like in the real world. If this is the season for you to further explore meds and support then I truly wish you well.Every success on your journey but please know that the Jo who woke up this morning and every morning for the last six months is already high up on the good guy list from my side of the screen.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, you guys...

...I just got a call from my nurse, and she's not going to prescribe anything else until she gets hold of some clinical pharmacology professor, which on assumption is going to take weeks. The pic of my throat scared her, and an hour later it was actually more swollen than it'd been in the photo. So her reluctance is a bit of a downer, and I already decided that if they're not going to let me try the antidepressant, I'll try it through my GP. Can't do anything with stimulants, but antidepressants she can certainly sign for.

So I'm feeling a bit deflated, quite sad... And then there's you.

Thank you. I needed some good tears. I didn't even know I did, but there they are, and it's good.

Hugs,
Jo

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you are going through all that @JoKalsbeek. Nothing is ever black and white. And so it is with drug medications. For sure, minor drug side effects are very common and nothing to worry about. Do the side effects out way the risks of not taking them? That's the big question and a major consideration for your health care team. Some side effects are very serious, even life threatening. Not everybody reacts to drugs the same way. If we read the list of possible side effects on the drug information pamphlets you will see them listed in tiny print, they are there, ranging from very minor, a bit of tummy upset, to this drug may cause death. These drug companies cover their bases. The pharmacist should be there to run through the possible side effects and what to expect. And so they should. I always google a drug if it's one I haven't taken before. I am sure you do too. As for your family telling you to stick with it. Well that's all fine and dandy if the drug is causing minor side effects, but in no way should one keep taking a drug if it is causing potentially serious side effects. I'm not a medical professional, but if it was me, and I had breathing issues or kidney problems on a drug I would stop taking them and contact my Dr. And it is definitely one for your Dr.

We have spoken about ADHD drug side effects earlier in your thread. I stopped my ADHD non stims due to vasoconstriction issues, now I'm on Bupropian. I tolerate it well, and it does have side effects, one of those side effects is, it helps with ADHD! Which is why it was prescribed off label for me. It is primarily prescribed as an antidepressant. The other side effect being it raises insulin production by inhibit ing KATP channel activity in pancreatic β-cell membranes and induces insulin secretion. Another bonus for me. It is having a significant effect was on my background insulin. I went from a steady 6mmol/l night time base line to 4mmol/l. I note it is slowly rising again so maybe that effect is short lived, else my blood sugars are rising because of other factors. I am very fortunate as i do not suffer with depression so it had nothing to do with my mood. So it really does come down to what effects those side effects have on your body, we are all diferent. I am sure you know all this, but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else who gets it.

Ed to add this: I had a very serious reaction taking Guanfacine as an ADHD drug. I took just one tablet and my blood pressure dropped so low I thought I was going to passout. Suffice to say I did only take one and contacted my Dr.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you are going through all that @JoKalsbeek. Nothing is ever black and white. And so it is with drug medications. For sure, minor drug side effects are very common and nothing to worry about. Do the side effects out way the risks of not taking them? That's the big question and a major consideration for your health care team. Some side effects are very serious, even life threatening. Not everybody reacts to drugs the same way. If we read the list of possible side effects on the drug information pamphlets you will see them listed in tiny print, they are there, ranging from very minor, a bit of tummy upset, to this drug may cause death. These drug companies cover their bases. The pharmacist should be there to run through the possible side effects and what to expect. And so they should. I always google a drug if it's one I haven't taken before. I am sure you do too. As for your family telling you to stick with it. Well that's all fine and dandy if the drug is causing minor side effects, but in no way should one keep taking a drug if it is causing potentially serious side effects. I'm not a medical professional, but if it was me, and I had breathing issues or kidney problems on a drug I would stop taking them and contact my Dr. And it is definitely one for your Dr.

We have spoken about ADHD drug side effects earlier in your thread. I stopped my ADHD non stims due to vasoconstriction issues, now I'm on Bupropian. I tolerate it well, and it does have side effects, one of those side effects is, it helps with ADHD! Which is why it was prescribed off label for me. It is primarily prescribed as an antidepressant. The other side effect being it raises insulin production by inhibit ing KATP channel activity in pancreatic β-cell membranes and induces insulin secretion. Another bonus for me. It is having a significant effect was on my background insulin. I went from a steady 6mmol/l night time base line to 4mmol/l. I note it is slowly rising again so maybe that effect is short lived, else my blood sugars are rising because of other factors. I am very fortunate as i do not suffer with depression so it had nothing to do with my mood. So it really does come down to what effects those side effects have on your body, we are all diferent. I am sure you know all this, but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else who gets it.

Ed to add this: I had a very serious reaction taking Guanfacine as an ADHD drug. I took just one tablet and my blood pressure dropped so low I thought I was going to passout. Suffice to say I did only take one and contacted my Dr.
You know, I did check side effects, but not of the Bu... Because I've had so many anti-depressants through the years, I wrongly assumed that I knew what my main side effects were going to be: migraines and vomiting. So I hoarded triptans ahead of time to combat the migraines, and considered myself well-prepared. But with my nurse's abject terror when it comes to giving me something else, I thought I'd read up some more. And as it turns out, chemically speaking, Bu's a lot like a stimulant, besides an anti-depressant. Ah. I wish she'd just tell me what her concerns are! I'd still like to try, mind you... So I'm hoping the professor she's contacting'll give the all-clear, and otherwise I can still talk to my GP about it. We'll see. Will still have to wait a while to try anything, couple of weeks at least, but now I know. But really, every time she seems really scared, and won't tell me why, it doesn't really inspire a whole lot of confidence. And I don't always know in what area her concerns lie, and I'm not House M.D. (though I do connect medical dots rather quickly). It'd be so much more straight forward if she'd just talk to me and let me in on her thought processes. It's my body and mind we're discussing, I'd like to have all the information before I yea or nay anything.

To be honest though, while I will try anything I am offered still, I don't believe medication'll be my route, after all. Supplements, maybe... If they don't trigger constant migraines. But I'm just going to read as much as I can about both ADHD and Autism, and see what works for others... In loopholes, hacks, tips and tricks, because there have to be work-arounds for this. It does mean having to accept I'll have to, for instance, cancel out my husband as well as all the other sounds in overwhelming surroundings. Noise cancelling headphones will work on him too, not just on screaming kids at a zoo, alas. And I so enjoy spending time with him, it hurts to lock him out with the rest of the sounds. And I keep thinking it's weird I can get into a deathly panic when practically harmless noise gets too much, but when I'm literally suffocating with no-one around to help me, I'm dead-calm. Almost indifferent. Now that I know what having a relatively peaceful mind could be like, not be barraged by everything, all the time... I hate having to let go of the idea that it could be sustainable. If I end up finding something, great, and I won't stop looking either, but... I think I'd better accept that some things aren't meant for me, and start working on making adjustments to make my life a bit more, well... Liveable. And less of a never-ending hell, really. :D

Considering Guanfacine and many other options are (seemingly?) not available in the Netherlands at the moment, who knows.... One day. But for the moment I think I have to adjust my expectations down, and start looking for other crutches to keep me from falling over on my face every day. And keep an eye on things that are new on the Dutch market.

Ah, what a mess, so far. It's certainly a journey!
Thanks for everything,
Jo

• Friendly

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But with my nurse's abject terror when it comes to giving me something else, I thought I'd read up some more. And as it turns out, chemically speaking, Bu's a lot like a stimulant, besides an anti-depressant. Ah. I wish she'd just tell me what her concerns are! I'd still like to try, mind you... So I'm hoping the professor she's contacting'll give the all-clear, and otherwise I can still talk to my GP about it. We'll see. Will still have to wait a while to try anything, couple of weeks at least, but now I know. But really, every time she seems really scared, and won't tell me why, it doesn't really inspire a whole lot of confidence. And I don't always know in what area her concerns lie, and I'm not House M.D. (though I do connect medical dots rather quickly). It'd be so much more straight forward if she'd just talk to me and let me in on her thought processes. It's my body and mind we're discussing, I'd like to have all the information before I yea or nay anything.
You could show her this to explain how those things work for you, she may understand.
I'm another one who spells out the leaflet and reads up on recommendations and alternatives for any medication I'm given. But there are many people who don't, because reading about the side effects will trigger a hypochondriac like effect of thinking they might be experiencing those side effects.
This may happen even more often in people who are dealing with mental health issues.
It may be this nurse is trying to prevent this effect for her patients, forgetting that not all people are the same.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back in the day(1980's), my Dad smoked a pipe - the tobacco came as shag or ready rubbed,

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could show her this to explain how those things work for you, she may understand.
I'm another one who spells out the leaflet and reads up on recommendations and alternatives for any medication I'm given. But there are many people who don't, because reading about the side effects will trigger a hypochondriac like effect of thinking they might be experiencing those side effects.
This may happen even more often in people who are dealing with mental health issues.
It may be this nurse is trying to prevent this effect for her patients, forgetting that not all people are the same.
I already tried that when she thought the dexamfetamine might cause a thyroid storm... Told her I'd rather know, and why, and.... Nothing, as here we are again. I know this stuff can potentially kill me, the last 4 experiments have showed me as much. I think it's rather telling just how hard it has been to have been living in my head these past 45 years, that I'm willing to take the risk yet again. It is worth it. And if I were afraid of this, that or the other, I'd not have gone any further after the first bad response. I'm not afraid to die, I am in absolute terror, every day, of living. So just the chance I'll not be afraid all the time anymore and become a somewhat functioning human (I'll not say adult. ;)). I'll try it.

So I guess I'm just to be another patient who is being "protected" from herself. I'm not a hypochondriac, never have been either. And I've come to know my body pretty well by now, so I know what could happen where, and why. Not easily impressed or scared by symptoms. Too pragmatic for it, I guess. Ah well... I know she means well, at least. They all do.

(By the way, that first book you suggested the other day is another good one, so far! ;) )
Hugs,
Jo

• Friendly
  • Hug