Advice about possibly stopping Metformin plz

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 about 3 weeks ago and was put on 500mg Metformin a day to start to then increase to 1000mg a day, before increasing my dose to 1000mg
my bg fasting levels were around 5.4.
Just recently gone up to 1000mg and my levels are still stable.
Overall my BG has been 4.6 - 6.3 since diagnosed. The higher figure being 2 hours after a meal.The lower fasting.

I would really like to try just LCHF diet and exercise.
I’m not due back to GP for another fortnight, and they never have very long to chat and don’t take blood work unless requested.

Is it safe to just stop Metformin immediately or can it cause problems?

Thank you

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d like to add my diet b4 diagnosis was horrific .. I had a bit of a low fat yogurt addiction I was eating about 150 - 200g of SUGAR A DAY! So goodness knows how many carbs - cringe. I couldn’t read the labels but now carry glasses everywhere ! Wish I had known how dangerous carbs especially sugar is for you.
Is there any possibility I have been misdiagnosed ( wishful thinking I know) but my blood must have been clogged with sugars when they took my 2 hour fasting glucose test. Which read 13 mmol

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that metformin lowered my blood glucose with around 1 mmol, I think it varies from ones person to the other how well metformin helps blood glucose down, but in general Metformin only helps very little.... but if you add 1 mmol to each of your numbers then you would not anylonger be in the non-diabetic level but more tilting towards the pre-diabetic level..

I was told from my GP when I had numbers like you that there was no longer any indication to prescribe me metformin, so I stopped, but sadly I am now closer to the pre-diabetic level now and have to be much more strict to get numbers like I had on metformin.

it is everybody´s own choice if they want to take Metformin , it is not a miracle medication, more like a stick to lean at, actually controlling ones levels of total carbs; not only sugar , is the main-road to returning to normal blood glucose level.

it can be safe to stop if one is ready to be real strict with carbs, most needing to go under 150 grams of carbs a day. some needs to go even under 100 grams of carbs in total in a day...

BUT always talk to your GP before changing anything in medications... we may not and are not educated to inform you in what medications you may and may not take

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I was diagnosed with T2 about 3 weeks ago and was put on 500mg Metformin a day to start to then increase to 1000mg a day, before increasing my dose to 1000mg
my bg fasting levels were around 5.4.
Just recently gone up to 1000mg and my levels are still stable.
Overall my BG has been 4.6 - 6.3 since diagnosed. The higher figure being 2 hours after a meal.The lower fasting.

I would really like to try just LCHF diet and exercise.
I’m not due back to GP for another fortnight, and they never have very long to chat and don’t take blood work unless requested.

Is it safe to just stop Metformin immediately or can it cause problems?

Thank you
Hi and welcome
I don't think anyone here can encourage you to stop or use any kind of medication

But I will tell you about my experience with biguanides (metformin)

I personally stopped it after about a month of his use and nothing changed

There is a note that some members may agree with me and I may be wrong
Metformin can not lower blood sugar levels, but it only prevents some of the rise caused by the liver

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve taken Metformin since diagnosis nearly a year ago. I started on one 500mg per day and increased one tablet per week til I reached three per day. I agree with @Freema that the reduction from Metformin appeared to be about 1mmol, which is significant if you’re near the limit. I also have benefitted from the appetite suppression gained from it, I don’t know if you’ve noticed any effect on your appetite but I know you’re looking to loose weight so that’s something to consider. Although I’m looking to reduce my Metformin at my next review in the summer I am quite comfortable staying on a smaller dose for its other benefits. A fortnight isn’t long to wait to discuss this with your GP, I’d be inclined to talk to them first before making a decision. Have a read of this before you decide too:
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01

Reactions: Freema

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In general Metformin is one of those meds you can stop and start without any real side effects. It's your choice but why not wait until you next see the GP. Met does have some positive effects outside of diabetes but you can discuss reducing the dose or stopping; your choice.

Reactions: Freema and Petaluk

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your experience stories.

I guess now I’ve started I’m best to only stop after talking to my doctor.

I haven’t really noticed any difference in my appetite but my morning blood glucose are as I said are 4 - 5 but I suppose you can’t just go by these.
I’m just missing not being able to have alcohol - as it is in the side effects, that it’s really important you don’t partake because of a serious complication that can incur :(
I don’t usually drink, but my personal life has been extremely stressful and it would have been nice just to chill out, like alcohol can do for you. :)

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that metformin lowered my blood glucose with around 1 mmol, I think it varies from ones person to the other how well metformin helps blood glucose down, but in general Metformin only helps very little.... but if you add 1 mmol to each of your numbers then you would not anylonger be in the non-diabetic level but more tilting towards the pre-diabetic level..

I was told from my GP when I had numbers like you that there was no longer any indication to prescribe me metformin, so I stopped, but sadly I am now closer to the pre-diabetic level now and have to be much more strict to get numbers like I had on metformin.

it is everybody´s own choice if they want to take Metformin , it is not a miracle medication, more like a stick to lean at, actually controlling ones levels of total carbs; not only sugar , is the main-road to returning to normal blood glucose level.

it can be safe to stop if one is ready to be real strict with carbs, most needing to go under 150 grams of carbs a day. some needs to go even under 100 grams of carbs in total in a day...

BUT always talk to your GP before changing anything in medications... we may not and are not educated to inform you in what medications you may and may not take
Can’t you go back on metformin?

D

Deleted member 308541

’m just missing not being able to have alcohol - as it is in the side effects, that it’s really important you don’t partake because of a serious complication that can incur :(
I don’t usually drink, but my personal life has been extremely stressful and it would have been nice just to chill out, like alcohol can do for you. :)
I take Metformin 2 x 500 daily, I enjoy malt whisky, and I'm also a regular drinker of low carb beer.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

When you say non diabetic do you mean under 7.0 and T2 and prediabetic meaning over 7.0? Thanks

Last edited:

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d like to add my diet b4 diagnosis was horrific .. I had a bit of a low fat yogurt addiction I was eating about 150 - 200g of SUGAR A DAY! So goodness knows how many carbs - cringe. I couldn’t read the labels but now carry glasses everywhere ! Wish I had known how dangerous carbs especially sugar is for you.
Is there any possibility I have been misdiagnosed ( wishful thinking I know) but my blood must have been clogged with sugars when they took my 2 hour fasting glucose test. Which read 13 mmol
hi petaluk
i too wondered if my initial readings were exagerated, my fasting level was checked at lloyds pharmacy came out at 15! the night before i had drunk about six pints of aspall cider,but i had the dreaded blood test which confirmed type 2.
i took the bull by the horns and did several weeks on the blood sugar diet (loss23 kilos since november most lost march and april)
i dont get any highs but have to keep topping up with carbs because of lows ...i had a slight hypo on friday , my first... .......weird....weight loss has stalled but been stable for five weeks. i need to lose more and lchf works for me but no good if it if causing low b.s. for me.. I too would like to come off the metformin but will speak to doctor first ...my 90 day bloodtest must be in a few days so lets see! would like to know if other members have this problem
thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was having a dreadful time taking Metformin and a statin, and stopped just before Christmas 2016 - I did not bother the doctor as I was at the end of my tether, my memory was gone, my insides were falling out, I was breaking down several times a day, my skin itched my body ached - so I just threw the tablets away and went on without them.
By the time the surgery reopened after New Year I felt so much better and I had seen my BG levels dropping as I could test - so I just waited for my next appointment with the doctor to discus it - I have not had an appointment with my doctor, so if he is not bothered then I don't see any reason to trouble him - the tablets were taken off the repeat prescription a year ago.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm off metformin due to a stomach infection.
Ive added 2st. :(

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to stop metformin the slow release one was dreadful for me. Terrible tummy troubles and 100 yard dashes to the loo! It made no difference to me and I did feel better almost immediately. I did tell my DSN and she said ok see how it goes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've never had that effect from metformin. It stops constipation for me but never runs. Maybe because I'm on painkillers which cause constipation.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve stopped the metformin for the last 2 days and my appetite does seem to have increased :/
I’m on a LCMF diet so hopefully it will stop weight gain?
So far, my bg are very similar as before, when I was on metformin.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never had that effect from metformin. It stops constipation for me but never runs. Maybe because I'm on painkillers which cause constipation.
Oh just seen your signature...you was on orsilat...geeez.. I read up on that as doc suggested it..too many medication interactions for me..metformin seems much kinder for weight loss. I hope you get better soon and can hopefully restart the metformin as it seemed to agree with you and losing weight. <3

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test your bloods when you had your lows? might have just been "normal" readings but your body wasn't used to them.
hi
no i didnt test my blood ,i was having a meal with my son and daughter when i felt all muddly i was trying to say somthing about september and couldnt think of its name or the month before or after or any month......son told me to take glucose tablets which brought me back again ..and we resumed the meal... i assume this was a hypo .. ive only had two 3.9s and didnt feel any different most pre meals are about 4.6to 5.5 two hours after 5.5 to 7.5 ...overnight 4.6 to 5.5..i want to go back on the lchf diet i think its the only way i lose weight the small and often meals thing has stalled this