Advice needed plz

Kerrylou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday I had my first unconscious hypo at work . An ambulance took me into hospital and once tests done and blood was stable I came home .
Since then my muscles are so sore and I’ve the worst headache ever !
How long does it take to feel human again ?
This episode has really scared me

Reactions: Ponchu

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Kerrylou, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon. I'm Type 2 and don't get hypos so I can't help you.
It will be 2.30am in the UK now so there might not be any T1s online at the moment, but I expect you will get some replies later.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yesterday I had my first unconscious hypo at work . An ambulance took me into hospital and once tests done and blood was stable I came home .
Since then my muscles are so sore and I’ve the worst headache ever !
How long does it take to feel human again ?
This episode has really scared me
I'm T2 too, and have never experienced a hypo, but from what I gather it can take a few days before you're completely back to normal. Poor you. I hope you feel better soon.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm T1 and have had a few unconscious hypos (mainly during pregnancies twenty years ago). I'd say it's normal to feel wiped out for at least 24 hours, but you should start to feel better soon.

Most important thing: work out why you had the hypo so it doesn't happen again. It should be an extremely rare occurrence and if it isn't you need your clinic to help you stop it from happening again. Luckily the technology (cgms) is here now so that if you start to lose hypo awareness you can get warnings before you go too low.

Personally I lose hypo awareness if I keep my regular sugars too low (Hba1c much less than 50 or 7), so I don't attempt to have non-diabetic levels, but other people manage fine at lower levels. Everyone is different: you need to learn what your own body can cope with.

Lots of hugs, honestly after 48 years of T1 diabetes I can say that I hate hypos more than anything else. On the plus side, maybe you can use your hospital visit as a reason for your doctor to prescribe a cgm? (Sorry, I'm assuming, possibly incorrectly, that you're in the UK, where hypos are a factor in libre eligibility.)

Reactions: Prem51

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Kerrylou, T1D here I am awake and bushy-tailed DownUnder !!
I can understand some of what you have been through. Maybe like the nightmare you cannot quite remember or the toothpaste tube is quickly running out and you need the paste back in there.
As much as it was a shock and a sudden crisis, it is now an experience to learn from.
From my experience of hypos it can take a full 24 hours, sometimes longer to fully recover.
I try to avoid driving and making important decisions in that time
It is not only the physical troubles, there are often emotional ones too.
I describe the feeling in my head as a 'Brain bruise", feeling of fuzzy numbness and loss of usual rate of thinking, which is frustrating and saddening, lasts a number of hours to most of a day. From speaking with others, we are all different in how long and how severe or mild it is.
I wonder how I behaved, what I said, did, who I may have hurt and how I might have embarrassed myself. There might be scattered memories but nothing solid enough to rely on. I can feel quite down and depressed for several days.
Learning to be kind to one's self, not being super-critical, but forgiving of oneself, explaining when you feel up it to fellow staff about what happened and almost obtaining some idea about what happened are all important but in your own time frame.
Some observant people may have noted certain behaviours, perhaps not usual for you leading up to the event. That may enable people to just keep an eye out for you in future and perhaps to be able to intervene with a suggestion to have a sweet cuppa etc.
The timing of the event helps to establish the cause of the hypo. ? Late getting to lunch ? near the peak action of one of your insulins, ?more physical activity earlier in the day than usual, needing higher dose of insulin or ? overcorrection of a highish BSL? It is a detective story well worth the solving of.
I find, as embarrassed as I might feel ,that a good chinwag with my diabetes nurse or doctor is invaluable. They may have other insights into why things may have happened and how to prevent a recurrence.
And as part of the healing process over time I try to remember any of the funny parts of the event as I recall it and as recounted to me. You try to remember the good things and less of the not-so-good things.
I am attaching a description written way back in about 1968 of hypo symptoms in diabetic schoolchildren, not that we are children any longer, but the description is quite good and perhaps modified a bit could be a good thing to hand out to trusted friends and family.
Hypos - once experienced, never forgotten but always forgiven. Please rest and recover and pick yourself up for the new day!!
:):):):)Best Wishes!

........ IMG_3809.jpg

Reactions: EllieM and Prem51
K

Knikki

Hello @Kerrylou sorry to hear about your hypo, ones like that can be nasty.

Last time I had one like that, my own fault but that's another story, I did not end up in hospital but like @EllieM it took me roughly 24 - 48 hours before feeling 'normal'.

Thing is, similar to what @kitedoc has pointed out is to LEARN FROM IT and not to panic. These things unfortunately catch all T1's out at some point in their life.

Hope you get better soon and please drop in and let us know how your getting on and come talk we may be able to help :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you got some good advice there. Wishing you a very speedy recovery.