Advice on Newcastle Diet for smaller women

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might write to Newcastle and advise that they need to put smaller women on lower Cals than 800 at the end from my experience

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Woohoo hba1c down from 71 to 54. And most of that 3 months I was just on Lchf so it's bound to be even better if they measured me again in 3 months time . Think I have enough ammunition now to not go on metformin. Also bp down from 138/92 to 117/82 so I'm hoping no bp tablets too.

Hi Naomi
I have been away for a few weeks but had to comment on your fantastic effort. Well done and congratulations
Cheers

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Woohoo hba1c down from 71 to 54. And most of that 3 months I was just on Lchf so it's bound to be even better if they measured me again in 3 months time . Think I have enough ammunition now to not go on metformin. Also bp down from 138/92 to 117/82 so I'm hoping no bp tablets too.

Keep going...your results are truly terrific:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might write to Newcastle and advise that they need to put smaller women on lower Cals than 800 at the end from my experience

Naomi, I'm not challenging your results. How could I possibly? However, I'm around the same height as you at 160cm. Based purely on your description, I don't think I was ever as apple shaped as you have described yourself, but the weight I did carry was certainly around my middle.

For me, just trimming back my carbs, focusing on my blood results, resulted in unintended weight loss, which I have maintained for almost 2 years, without any struggle. I have always and still do eat significantly more than 800 calories a day, although probably in my early days of carb trimming before upping my fat, I may have be unwittingly close to it sometimes.

I now weight 47kg+/- 1kg, and get through a couple of thousand calories most days. My OH calls me the local lean, mean, eating machine.

Observationally, from the forum, I might speculate you are particularly unfortunate in having to go so extreme in your approach. I really do hope you achieve your goal.

In approaching Professor Taylor, I might be more inclined to ask if he has any experience of others like you who have had to go even more extreme rather than tell him how to run his programme. Bearing in mind he's well into a bigger, 5 year research programme, sponsored by Diabetes UK, I doubt he would, or could amend his protocols for now. Any such variation might require a whole new project.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Naomi425 - Just an afterthought. Do you monitor your visceral fat levels? If so, what is your chosen method of measure/tracking it?

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 10cm smaller than you and that makes a big difference . I don't monitor visceral fat levels but am taking waist measurements from time to time. I was 36cm 3 months ago and last time I measured(2weeks ago) I was 31cm. That can't be water that I'm losing. So I've moved from high to medium risk.

I'm not intending to 'tell' Newcastle what to do. Of course I will phrase it as my experience and do so gently . I think you are right that he won't be able to amend his protocols but if there are concerns around some not achieving the expected results it maybe because of the height issue.

In the long term once I'm down to a weight that consistently keeps my bgls in the 4s I just intend to eat Lchf with the odd treat as I think you do now. But Lchf on its own for me does not achieve the weight loss that you have managed.

We are all different as we all keep saying

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And thanks Kevin and Muzza for your encouraging remarks

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Naomi425
I have always found Prof Taylor et al at Newcastle University to be very interested in my experience of using their methodology for weight and blood glucose management. So I am sure they will respond if you contact them. All data is of use to inform knowledge, though, as @AndBreathe mentioned, data that does not fit the precise protocol of a particular study cannot be included in the study. Could provide ideas for further research though, if funding can be found.

Is your waist size now really only 31cm, though? Just over 12 inches? That would really make them take notice.

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry that's 31 inches sadly

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 10cm smaller than you and that makes a big difference . I don't monitor visceral fat levels but am taking waist measurements from time to time. I was 36cm 3 months ago and last time I measured(2weeks ago) I was 31cm. That can't be water that I'm losing. So I've moved from high to medium risk.

I'm not intending to 'tell' Newcastle what to do. Of course I will phrase it as my experience and do so gently . I think you are right that he won't be able to amend his protocols but if there are concerns around some not achieving the expected results it maybe because of the height issue.

In the long term once I'm down to a weight that consistently keeps my bgls in the 4s I just intend to eat Lchf with the odd treat as I think you do now. But Lchf on its own for me does not achieve the weight loss that you have managed.

We are all different as we all keep saying

Naomi425, which bloods do you want to be consistently in the 4s? Have you considered trying a few cycles of the Libre to track your bloods over several 24 hour cycles?

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Naomi425, which bloods do you want to be consistently in the 4s? Have you considered trying a few cycles of the Libre to track your bloods over several 24 hour cycles?

I'm happy with my Accu Chek mobile . Don't really want to spend more on another bit of technology. Although tbh I did like the look of the weighing machine I posted about about a week back- I'm such a sucker

I'd like my Fbg to be in 4s along with my pre and post meals. Maybe a pipe dream but I think this whole process has taught me you have to want to achieve stuff and then if you get near that's good. Well that's how I work

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do let us know how the Newcastle team respond, please.

Will do. Won't email them til this is all over as you never know I may get amazing results in the next couple of weeks. My weight loss/ reductions in bgls seems to happen in bursts

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm happy with my Accu Chek mobile . Don't really want to spend more on another bit of technology. Although tbh I did like the look of the weighing machine I posted about about a week back- I'm such a sucker

I'd like my Fbg to be in 4s along with my pre and post meals. Maybe a pipe dream but I think this whole process has taught me you have to want to achieve stuff and then if you get near that's good. Well that's how I work

I would ask you to consider fasting bloods regularly in the 4s isn't necessarily important. I happen to achieve that, but it's not the only way to have a stunning HbA1c.

I don't know if you have noticed Silver Hammer on the fasting bloods thread? The following are his stats from his profile:

upload_2016-6-16_19-58-22.png

I'm sure you'll agree his average fasting bloods and HbA1cs illustrate how important the much bigger picture actually is. I don't know where @Silver Hammer 's other levels run, day to day, but in anyone's terms an HbA1c score of 28 is impressive.

I don't recall what methodology Silver Hammer used in bringing those numbers down, but at (roughly) a 2/3rd reduction, I'm in awe. I also note (which I hadn't until now noticed) that his BMI increased marginally between his 2014 and 2015 tests, yet his HbA1c reduced. Perhaps he may comment to you.

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting but s/he if still on metformin is at an advantage

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But of course hba1c is the gold standard which is why I'm looking at 4s across the board

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 6 foot tall and a man so of course my diet will by necessity be different from yours and everyone is different and responds in different ways depending on many factors so individually we just have to experiment with what works well for ourselves; although undoubtably the experiences of others can suggest sensible areas to concentrate on.
After I was diagnosed I read extensively, especially in these forums and set out to change my ways, mostly to exercise regularly and reduce what I was eating and specifically to cut down my carbs and drinking. I had the mindset and discipline to record everything, which I did for about 18 months in the end, calories, carbs, exercise, alcohol, HbA1C, cholesterol, blood pressure etc. Initially I worked on an average of 1500 calories a day and a maximum of 100g carbs a day and gave up alcohol for the first 3 months. I lost around 4 stone in 5 months and then increased calories to between 2000 and 2500 per day, bought a new wardrobe and thoroughly enjoyed the new energy and purpose that comes with feeling fit and healthy for the first time in years.
I am more relaxed about what I eat now and no longer count everything. I average 10 to 15 units of alcohol a week. I am lucky that I can now eat whatever I want occasionally as long as my basic diet is still essentially low carb, so I do! My weight has crept up a little to around 13 stone, whereas I would like it to be a maximum of 12 1/2 stone, so I need to get it down a little and I need to get out on my bike more often, which I will do because I know I cannot afford to be complacent and slip back at all.
I find it a useful discipline to record my FBG every morning, which reflects generally how I am doing (and if I have done stuff that I shouldn't have done) and interestingly the average went up a little when my HbA1C fell. I did a home test a couple of weeks ago when it was 36 and I am quite content at that level. My next "official" test will be in November and I like to check a bit more often than the doctor.
While I am still prescribed Metformin I am happy to continue taking it as I get no untoward side effects and I am aware of a number of benefits this drug brings besides the one it is prescribed for.
I hope this insight into what works for me may help you in planning to reach your goals

Maxwell

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Sorry that's 31 inches sadly

I thought you'd been stuffed into one of those Victorian corsets we see you poor ladies wearing in those period dramas... Haha:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 6 foot tall and a man so of course my diet will by necessity be different from yours and everyone is different and responds in different ways depending on many factors so individually we just have to experiment with what works well for ourselves; although undoubtably the experiences of others can suggest sensible areas to concentrate on.
After I was diagnosed I read extensively, especially in these forums and set out to change my ways, mostly to exercise regularly and reduce what I was eating and specifically to cut down my carbs and drinking. I had the mindset and discipline to record everything, which I did for about 18 months in the end, calories, carbs, exercise, alcohol, HbA1C, cholesterol, blood pressure etc. Initially I worked on an average of 1500 calories a day and a maximum of 100g carbs a day and gave up alcohol for the first 3 months. I lost around 4 stone in 5 months and then increased calories to between 2000 and 2500 per day, bought a new wardrobe and thoroughly enjoyed the new energy and purpose that comes with feeling fit and healthy for the first time in years.
I am more relaxed about what I eat now and no longer count everything. I average 10 to 15 units of alcohol a week. I am lucky that I can now eat whatever I want occasionally as long as my basic diet is still essentially low carb, so I do! My weight has crept up a little to around 13 stone, whereas I would like it to be a maximum of 12 1/2 stone, so I need to get it down a little and I need to get out on my bike more often, which I will do because I know I cannot afford to be complacent and slip back at all.
I find it a useful discipline to record my FBG every morning, which reflects generally how I am doing (and if I have done stuff that I shouldn't have done) and interestingly the average went up a little when my HbA1C fell. I did a home test a couple of weeks ago when it was 36 and I am quite content at that level. My next "official" test will be in November and I like to check a bit more often than the doctor.
While I am still prescribed Metformin I am happy to continue taking it as I get no untoward side effects and I am aware of a number of benefits this drug brings besides the one it is prescribed for.
I hope this insight into what works for me may help you in planning to reach your goals

Maxwell

Maxwell, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Are you using the A1c+Now system for your home assessments? If not, as a matter of interest, what are you using?

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah thanks Maxwell. Very inspiring.