1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Advice on readings pls

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Andreamac73, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Andreamac73

Andreamac73 · Newbie

Hey I’ve been feeling unwell for quite a while with symptoms ranging from dizziness, cold and clammy sweats, nausea, shaking, pins n needles in hand, fatigue, funny feeling in eyes. I started doing my blood sugar measures and these range from 5.7 to 12.5. My lowest fasting reading was 9. I’ve been to Gp who says it’s the menopause! My readings are normal, well I don’t feel normal. I even nearly passed out in the street, I was wandering about like I was drunk and couldn’t focus!

Any advice???

• Like Like x 1
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I can't really advice much on your readings. But do you keep a log or a record of your readings to spot how many times you run high? However I've linked diabetes symptoms here:https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/diabetes-symptoms
    If you experience any of these symptoms, please speak to another doctor to get some tests done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Redshank

Redshank Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@Andreamac73
    Welcome to the forum. Your symptoms sound very unpleasant

It would be helpful to record your blood readings, including time before and after meals and any times you feel ill. Take these results with you to see a doctor and ask them for blood tests.

Have you had any tests so far to see if you have diabetes? We cannot diagnose if it is diabetes or something else is causing the symptoms but I think your doctor should investigate more

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

A post has been deleted by a moderator as it was not helpful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Andrea I agree with @MeiChanski and @Redshank , I think a second opinion with records of your blood sugar readings would be helpful. My suggestion would be readings before and two hours after first bite of a meal with a record of what you ate.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andreamac73

Andreamac73 · Newbie

Thanks everyone. I have been taking readings for the past 5 days and took them this morning to doc who didn’t this there was anything wrong with them x

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Could you see another doctor for another opinion?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Did the doctor talk to you about all your symptoms together with the readings- I have been through menopause and I think there can be a tendency to blame any symptoms on it. I agree with the poster who suggested getting another option even if that opinion is only to give you more peace of mind- that is important.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  9. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Agree. Go see another dr. I’d be asking for an hb1ac to check the 3 month average of my readings. It’s a pretty common test and I’m shocked that given you’re symptoms it wasn’t offered.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Goodness. I’m going to 3rd (4th, 5th?) to see a new doctor. I just hit my 1-year mark, so official menopause last month. Having few women in my family to talk to, I’ve been quizzing friends, coworkers, etc. no one has reported feeling how you are. We joke about the sudden change in temperature, skin losing its elasticity seemingly overnight, etc. some bad symptoms have been headaches and joint aches, but that about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Agree with what everyone else has said.... go see another doctor if possible. Highs of 12.5 isn't normal, you need to see someone who can give good advice and service. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

It never hurts to get a second opinion. It wasn't until I switched doctors I got diagnosed right. Keep a log of fasting, before you eat and 2-3 hours after you eat and at night. That can be valuable information. Maybe for longer than the 5 days too.

13. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

....I have to say, you don't sound menopausal... Do what others have suggested: Check before a meal and 2 hours after, keep a log of what you ate, and ask a doc, ANY doc, for a HbA1c test. If your GP doesn't comply, ask for another GP or a referral to an endo. It's your health, don't let it get shrugged off with a stereotypical dismissal based on age and sex.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook