Advice on self testing Type 2

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Due to raised Hba1 Blood Sugars after 8 years dx - I have started self testing. What I need is an experienced self tester to guide me through the best times to do this or some kind of initial routine guide. I currently test mainly at morning fasting - then post breakfast - and sometimes pre and post lunch (after 2 hours) but find post lunch - mainly salad and small amount of protein - always about 3 higher than pre lunch - is this normal - please?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
When you wake
Before your first bite of breakfast
1 hour after that
2 hours after that

Repeat for lunch and dinner and then before bed

That is the routine .... please read the threads but it ain't just diet. Stress, exercise, foods you ate, illness can all impact. Record them all, establish a pattern

Your figures (3 higher) are meaningless unless we know what they are during the entire day and especially what they were before that check. Boring I know, but it must be done and then you (and only you) can try and pin it down

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Mike D and his initial testing regime suggestion, and keeping records of your food, exercise and levels so you can see patterns emerge.

Do you mean your levels rose by 3mmol/l between before and after a salad lunch? That sounds excessive for any meal/food, let alone a salad. What exactly did you have? The initial aim is to keep the before and after rise to less than 2mmol/l. Once that is achieved, try for 1.5mmol/l. The lower the rise the better.

Tug_Wilson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Due to raised Hba1 Blood Sugars after 8 years dx - I have started self testing. What I need is an experienced self tester to guide me through the best times to do this or some kind of initial routine guide. I currently test mainly at morning fasting - then post breakfast - and sometimes pre and post lunch (after 2 hours) but find post lunch - mainly salad and small amount of protein - always about 3 higher than pre lunch - is this normal - please?

JIMBO1944

What about tea or coffee any drinks at all don't forget milk gives quite a spike re lactose??
Have you been getting stressed at all do you sleep well many things can affect your blood sugars, speak with your Diabetes nurse.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: salad, if you cover it in salad dressing from a bottle or jar, it could be full of sugar. Best to make your own from oil and vinegar (not balsamic), salt, pepper and herbs. Maybe a teaspoon of mustard as well, to taste.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Thanks for advice - I only use oil.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
So I'm on a very low carb diet and the difference is negligible - not sure what else to do - I'm barely overweight at 9st 5 and my bmi is in the perfect range - I'm practically staving myself with no gain - well I say that but my fasting was lowest yet today at 9.5 - when I was smoking it was around 6.5 or 7

S

Sable_Jan

When you wake
Before your first bite of breakfast
1 hour after that
2 hours after that

Repeat for lunch and dinner and then before bed

That is the routine .... please read the threads but it ain't just diet. Stress, exercise, foods you ate, illness can all impact. Record them all, establish a pattern

Your figures (3 higher) are meaningless unless we know what they are during the entire day and especially what they were before that check. Boring I know, but it must be done and then you (and only you) can try and pin it down
I test at 2 and 3 hours for new foods as at one hour you are still (normally) on the way up...so it's a meaningless reading...at two hours is generally agreed you should have peaked and should be back within range. The test at 3 hours confirms when you peak and if your sugars peak late....that way you are more in control. With some foods my two hour test made me think "hey, that's great! I'm ok with this" only to find at 3 hrs actually, no, I wasn't. Hope this helps.
Think @miked and I have always disagreed on this and agreed to disagree cos in the end it's personal choice

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
The extra tests are not only boring but expensive. I guess I have to bite the bullet to buy the lancets for my tester - Accu Check Performa mini as it uses the rotary ones which spin round like - I imagine bullets in a gun, not having any gun experience ☺ - it is much less painful and oh so easy - so.much better than the one DN gave me. I'm hoping they will change my prescription next time.

Reactions: 2 people

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I must try to find a day when I can fulfill all tests as Sable_Jan suggests. I have noticed that testing 2 hours after eating produces poorer results that after 3 hours

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I test at 2 and 3 hours for new foods as at one hour you are still (normally) on the way up...so it's a meaningless reading...at two hours is generally agreed you should have peaked and should be back within range. The test at 3 hours confirms when you peak and if your sugars peak late....that way you are more in control. With some foods my two hour test made me think "hey, that's great! I'm ok with this" only to find at 3 hrs actually, no, I wasn't. Hope this helps.
Think @miked and I have always disagreed on this and agreed to disagree cos in the end it's personal choice

Yes :) Each to their own @Sable_Jan ... but I'd want to see at 1 hour what that spike might be before getting / falling back within range, indeed if you can and do with "new" foods.

I followed the logic and advice from another long term member and it made sense to me. At the outset for a newbie, I think it's imperative but once you're happy with the figures and the foods, you can reduce testing if you so desire

Reactions: 5 people

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Either I am the biggest coward out here or else you are all unbothered by the finger pricking?
The very idea of sore finger tips puts me off trying self testing.
Is there another way please?

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@ coby yes finger pricking is painfull at times but must be done I find that side of fingers is best for me, you do get use to it given time mate.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Absolutely hate needles and blood - but essential to track blood sugar levels

Sent from my SM-N910F using DCUK Forum mobile app

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
So what am I learning from tracking my blood sugars throughout the day - I know it's which foods affect me at what time etc. But if my figures are up and down - what is considered to be my blood sugar level for that day? Is an average - at the moment mine are all over the place, but all readings are lower than when I started this venture 2 weeks ago. Really hard to stay motivated. To get my sugars down I have to really stringent.

Sent from my SM-N910F using DCUK Forum mobile app

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
but all readings are lower than when I started this venture 2 weeks ago. Really hard to stay motivated. To get my sugars down I have to really stringent.
Congratulations on the self testing and you are now getting control of your diabetes by seeing the impact of your diet. Don't loose motivation as you stated the levels are lower than when you started and it is all about the tend
Great stuff
Cheers

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done,
Absolutely hate needles and blood - but essential to track blood sugar levels

Well done for the progress you have already. I understand your questions re testing and it does get confusing. I'm with you on that one but just stick at it and you'll win, I'm sure.

Anyway, a tip regarding finger pricks. Obviously you should wash your hands beforehand but, if you make sure you use hot water, (and not cold like I do ;) - I have to run 3 litres off before it comes hot downstairs! ) with hot water, you can use a lower number on your lancet unit as the blood is flowing that much more freely.

Good luck