Advice Please

JoCook

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes I was given Metformin to take 1 tablet a day This didn't go well and after 2 days felt awful after having lunch nauseous, banging head dizziness and blurred vision This did pass after a time but not before I was sick It scared be how quickly k felt so awful so phoned my Surgery for advice My GP told me to stop taking the Metformin and to see the Diabetic nurse a couple of days after She checked my food diary and said it was fine and gave me a monitor to check my levels which she has also checked since and are also ok
Today I feel really unwell again since lunchtime nauseous, headache etc just generally not good
Is this how it'll be now? Should I feel this way? What should I do?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes I was given Metformin to take 1 tablet a day This didn't go well and after 2 days felt awful after having lunch nauseous, banging head dizziness and blurred vision This did pass after a time but not before I was sick It scared be how quickly k felt so awful so phoned my Surgery for advice My GP told me to stop taking the Metformin and to see the Diabetic nurse a couple of days after She checked my food diary and said it was fine and gave me a monitor to check my levels which she has also checked since and are also ok
Today I feel really unwell again since lunchtime nauseous, headache etc just generally not good

welcome here JoCook :)

metformin does cause those symptoms in some people, luckily to most only the first forthnight or so, I didn´t have this trouble myself. In some people the extended version is better Metformin XR , and causes less symptoms ... but some do have to stop taking metformin because of these horrible sideeffects that in their cases do not go away..
I´ll tag @daisy1 so you´ll get the very valuable welcome information every one new in here gets

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi and welcome you've come to the right place for advice sorry don't know much about type 2 as I'm type 1 insulin controlled but I know a lot of people struggle with metformin side affects etc you could ask doctor /dsn to try metformin slow release tablets I think they may suit you better only guessing but stay watching the forum someone sure to know more than me anyway welcome again and good luck with everything keep us informed?

Reactions: Liam1955

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - if they are not taking your symptoms seriously then I'd be inclined to go into the surgery feeling ill and throw up all over the carpet - that might get their attention.
Are you only being sick when you take the Metformin? If you felt better when you stopped taking it, then perhaps the best place for it is in the bin, and use the meter to see if you can lower your blood glucose levels by eating low carb.
I had nasty side effects with Metformin and just gave up on it - it made me determined to stick to the low carb eating even more closely and - so far so good.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you stop taking it as your doctor advised? Have you started taking it again? It isn't clear from your post.
Yes, Metformin can cause these tummy problems although this often passes after a week or two, but if you did stop taking it and haven't had any since, the problems should have stopped.

JoCook

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all
I'm not sure I made it clear in my original post that I haven't taken the Metformin since the first time I felt so awful
Since then I've not been too bad until today
I have completely changed my diet since diagnosis and now eat 3 regular meals a day with a snack Inbetween if I need one
I really don't want you to think I'm not being supported or believed by my GP or Nurse as I'm one of the very lucky ones that receive excellent care
It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment and to be honest I'm still learning
I really don't know what to expect
I suppose it'll take time to get to grips with it all
Thanks again Your advice is much appreciated x

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @JoCook and Welcome to the Forum :). Not every Diabetic takes to Standard Metformin and/or Slow Release Metformin. But there are other Diabetic Tablets that can be prescribed.
Drinking plenty of water - at least 2 litres a day (or more) it helps to flush out your system and stabilize the glucose in your bloodstream. You could try eating smaller meals and fill up with water.
You are very 'lucky' to be given a blood glucose meter! As most people now have to purchase them.
Ask away any questions you have :).

Ishi

Hi, This is how I felt with metformin as well and my symptoms lasted for about 4-5 weeks every time I increased the dosage. Once the body got use to I don't have anymore side effects. Ask your doctor if you can start with low dosage and increase very slowly.
Hope this helps.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all
I'm not sure I made it clear in my original post that I haven't taken the Metformin since the first time I felt so awful
Since then I've not been too bad until today
I have completely changed my diet since diagnosis and now eat 3 regular meals a day with a snack Inbetween if I need one
I really don't want you to think I'm not being supported or believed by my GP or Nurse as I'm one of the very lucky ones that receive excellent care
It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment and to be honest I'm still learning
I really don't know what to expect
I suppose it'll take time to get to grips with it all
Thanks again Your advice is much appreciated x
Sounds like once you stopped Metformin you have been alright diet controlled until this once instance. What did you eat in the 24 hours leading up to the nausuous headache at lunchtime? Did you go without food for an extended length of time?

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When you're feeling unwell, do you test your levels? What is your blood sugar level at during one of these episodes?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @JoCook, the feelings you could be experiencing may be associated with the change of blood sugar in your system.

I went from early 20's to 16 in a week without Metformin, only to be put on it anyway; which now that I am knowledgeable I know for me was a mistake. If you can withdraw snacks and keep your meals low carb, your meter will indicate if you are on track. You could always post a running commentary of your readings and how you feel for further advice.

JoCook

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all X
I didn't check yesterday when feeling unwell I should have done but have only been given enough strips to last me until Tuesday When I checke yesterday morning before breakfast it was 6.8 nowhere near as high as yours I've looked online and it should be below 6 shouldn't it? So not bad
You've all given me plenty to think about and look into and I think you're right that my body is in a kind of shock at the diet change! Previously I wouldn't eat until late morning or even lunch and then it would be rolls, crisps maybe a cake Sometimes just a big bag of crisps and a packet of sweets outside school!! Evening meal would be about 9 ish and could be anything from meat and veg to take away !
Now I have breakfast lunch and dinner and think about what I have Weetabix or special K a Wholemeal wrap with ham and salad for lunch and salad or veg with meat and a few new pots for dinner
Snacks are fruit or carrots
Hopefully today will be ok

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all X
I didn't check yesterday when feeling unwell I should have done but have only been given enough strips to last me until Tuesday When I checke yesterday morning before breakfast it was 6.8 nowhere near as high as yours I've looked online and it should be below 6 shouldn't it? So not bad
You've all given me plenty to think about and look into and I think you're right that my body is in a kind of shock at the diet change! Previously I wouldn't eat until late morning or even lunch and then it would be rolls, crisps maybe a cake Sometimes just a big bag of crisps and a packet of sweets outside school!! Evening meal would be about 9 ish and could be anything from meat and veg to take away !
Now I have breakfast lunch and dinner and think about what I have Weetabix or special K a Wholemeal wrap with ham and salad for lunch and salad or veg with meat and a few new pots for dinner
Snacks are fruit or carrots
Hopefully today will be ok

Well, your current way of eating is 100% better than how you used to eat, and healthy for the general population, but I'm afraid to say it isn't healthy for Type 2 diabetics. Our problem is that we cannot tolerate carbohydrate as carbs raise blood sugar levels. All carbs convert to glucose once inside the system, and this is bad for us. We need less glucose, not more.

Your weetabix, Special K, wholemeal wrap, potatoes, fruit and carrots are not doing your blood glucose levels any good at all.

If you use your meter to the best advantage, you need to test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Look at the rise in levels from before to after. If it is more than 2mmol/l there were too many carbs in that meal. Keeping a food diary including portion sizes and recording your levels alongside will help enormously as you can see instantly which foods are causing you problems, and then you can try reducing the portion size next time, or eliminate some of the food completely.

If you are short of strips, it may be worthwhile buying your own meter and strips. The Codefree and Tee2 meters have cheap strips that are affordable and VAT free if you declare you are diabetic.
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

JoCook

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It'll be 2 weeks on Tuesday that I saw the nurse for the first time so am still learning
I must have misunderstood that I could have a small portion of Carbohydrate at each meal I had gestational diabetes 7 years ago and injected insulin I managed to keep contro then but can't remember what I did! And Type 2 is different isn't it?
I'm being referred to somewhere ( can't remember that either!) for Diabetic education so look forward to that
This diagnosis is the latest in a fair sized list of 'ailments and conditions' that have resulted in a list of medication as long as my arm of which I take 30 pills a day
I feel a bit lost as to whether the way I feel is due to the other ailments or medication or diabetics or if they'll find something else as a result of the latest round of ' investigations' Maybe all the stress is taking its toll? It's not been easy
I think I'll invest in a monitor Any suggestions? The one I was given was a Tee2 but I was told type 2 on Metformin don't need to check as it can't cause a hypo? It was only given because I'd felt so bad but I only had to check before dinner for 2 days and then before breakfast on Thursday after which she wanted the results emailed Sincebthen I've done before dinner one day and breakfast yesterday I know ifs I had more strips of do it more to see what food etc affects me
I really appreciate your thoughts and advice and I now know I need to really look into it more - just need to get through today and tomorrow and will see the nurse again X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea why the nurse told you to test at those times. It makes no sense and tells you nothing about what your food is doing to you. The NHS dietary advice is dreadful, and that makes no sense either, but I expect your nurse will push the Eatwell Plate on you, as she is obliged to do.

You will do better to buy your own strips as you will need many thousands of them.

Stress is certainly a BIG factor in raised blood sugar levels.

Insulin users can eat more carbs because they can inject insulin to cover the amount they are eating. Diet only or Metformin T2s can't do this if they want to get and keep control. Our insulin is either insufficient, or not working as it should due to insulin resistance.

You can have some carbs, but it is wise to avoid or seriously reduce breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and anything made with flour. They are too starchy. Your body may tolerate small portions of these but only a meter can tell you this. We also need to be careful with fruit (especially juices) and milk.

This is a very good place to start
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
https://www.dietdoctor.com/

JoCook

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll have a look
Thank you for your help I do feel very overwhelmed with everything that's going on but your advice will help x
Very much appreciated x

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is overwhelming. I think we have all been there on diagnosis. The advice is the most confusing thing you get because its so contradictory. I was told by a GP and a diabetic nurse that it was vital to eat carbohydrates. Not just OK, but vital. Basically I was told I needed to change to largely what I was eating already, so knew it probably wasn't right. Then another GP, a friend of a friend on Facebook, and finding this website with it's success stories, said low carb was worth trying. My BG numbers in my signature tell you what I believe now! But only testing your BG will give you the proof for yourself.

Reactions: Ivanstef2

JoCook

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been out and bought more test strips Just need to hunt for the lancets as 2 chemists didn't have them
So test before each meal and 2 hours after and record what I've eaten is that right?

amvanman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm new here and don't really know where to begin. I have been reading through quite a few threads and am a little confused. I have been diagnosed for years and have been on and off insulin. I have found that a lot of the information that I get does tend to be very contradictory and that leads to severe frustration. Honestly, I have not been under a doctor's care for quite sometime, other than when I need to have my prescriptions renewed, and I kind of suck with checking my blood sugars on a consistent basis. I am working on all of this though. I do remember years ago when I was diagnosed and I attended the 'teaching class' that was supposed to teach me how to eat, how frustrated I was at the information I received. Researching online leads me to believe that not much has changed. Armed with the knowledge that the body has the amazing ability to repair itself when given the proper fuel, I have embarked on a journey to lose weight and really take control over my life. I, however, find myself monitoring everything all of the time, except my blood sugar levels. It is just counter-intuitive for me to cause myself pain on a daily basis. I know, I'm a big baby and should probably suck it up. I do know that my last Hba1C was a little elevated but not enough to cause too much alarm. I found a lab that will run the test without doc's orders and will be using them this week. I guess what I really want to know is how you manage. I do not have the luxury of quality health care a I am in a place that caters more to the elderly and health insurance here really sucks. I have done a great job of losing about 60 lbs and am on my way down. I would like to lose the last 24 lbs that I have to lose faster, but it seems to be pretty hard to get it to budge. Sometimes I'm discouraged especially on the weeks when the scale doesn't budge. In short, I suppose what I am asking for is advice and support.