advice please

Lee Terence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, i have been diagnosed with T2 only from yesterday, i havent been told much about food and diet as diabetes clinic opens on monday. Can anyone help me please on the ideal breakfast to have not to raise my sugar levels and trying to lose weight

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bacon and eggs, in fact eggs in any form. Fried, scrambled, poached. Cheese omelette (3-4 eggs) done with butter, olive or avocado oil or lard. (Ditch the vegetable oils). Full fat yogurt and berries (raspberries, blueberries) I’m a few years in so don’t have breakfast these days, just coffee with double cream. My first meal is usually lunch around 12:30.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another whose breakfast hunger disappeared when I stopped eating carbs and sugars. I was really surprised as I used to wake up ready to eat the curtains. Yours may or may not adjust similarly, so I'm just adding this so you are not surprised if it does. My "breakfast" is now 3 mugs of coffee. I used to have it with cream, which is fine for us diabetics, but I stopped that a year ago and now enjoy it black.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, i have been diagnosed with T2 only from yesterday, i havent been told much about food and diet as diabetes clinic opens on monday. Can anyone help me please on the ideal breakfast to have not to raise my sugar levels and trying to lose weight
I don't usually have breakfast any more as I'm rarely hungry in the mornings. It's currently 12.30 and I've not eaten anything since 7pm last night - just two double coffees with cream since 7 this morning.

When I do (once every couple of months maybe) it tends to be a low-carb version of the Ulster Fry - bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomato, black pudding (small portion), 99% meat sausages (usually Lidl's bratwursts). No breads or hash browns or beans or fried potatoes. I usually won't eat again the rest of the day.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Unless you already skip the odd meal, it takes time (weeks) for Fat Adaptation using a low carb/keto diet, before you are just as comfortable 'burning' your own body fat as you are 'burning' glucose from carbs or ketones from digested fats.

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you already skip the odd meal, it takes time (weeks) for Fat Adaptation using a low carb/keto diet, before you are just as comfortable 'burning' your own body fat as you are 'burning' glucose from carbs or ketones from digested fats.
Is there any week by week guide on how to make the adaptation and when you know you're burning fats?

Reactions: jpscloud

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
No, it varies from person to person.
If you are testing with the urine keto strips (and getting results) then (I'm told) you should see the ketones drop as your body starts to fully make use of them instead of peeing them away. So I only knew well after the fact when I belatedly realised that I was still eating 2 boiled eggs each morning although I was not (really) hungry.

I started testing for ketones too late and so never saw any result from peeing on a strip, but obviously if I's tested my blood for ketones, then they would have shown up.

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, it varies from person to person.
If you are testing with the urine keto strips (and getting results) then (I'm told) you should see the ketones drop as your body starts to fully make use of them instead of peeing them away. So I only knew well after the fact when I belatedly realised that I was still eating 2 boiled eggs each morning although I was not (really) hungry.

I started testing for ketones too late and so never saw any result from peeing on a strip, but obviously if I's tested my blood for ketones, then they would have shown up.
Thanks - the ketone tip is great as my Glucometer measures these already.

Reactions: jpscloud

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The key is protien and fats....scrambled eggs ...advacardos.....ect ditch the beige I.e. carbs like bread biscuits rice pasta ect there are so many alternatives out there you will need to look around grocery stores

DevP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Also T2. I do intermittent fasting from 11:00 to 19:00. I have found that it is best to up the veggies to almost 50% of your plate!
I have lost 14 kg over 3 months. Savoury breakfast is best.
I go to gym and do weight training, but do find a physical activity that suits you and that you enjoy. Physical activity is important but be gentle on yourself when you start.
See if you can go on the Desmond or similar course. Speak to your doctor about it. Useful and pragmatic knowledge.
This is NOT a diet change but a lifestyle change. Make small changes on an ongoing basis and become sensitive to your body. It is your body, talk to it. You will get results

Edit by mod to conform to forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lainie71

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There we go I’m completely opposite to you @DevP and everyone is different. I eat hardly any veg, mostly fatty meat eggs and cheese and the odd bit of cauliflower and sometimes lettuce and tomato sliced on tuna! I don’t do strenuous exercise as I have a back injury but I walk my dogs everyday for 30-40 minutes. I dropped breakfast quite early on in my lifestyle change and my lunch and dinner are between 12 noon and 6pm. I’ve lost 4st (25kg) without much effort. I didn’t find the Desmond course helpful at all as they told us to eat some sort of carbohydrates at every meal. Most of us on this forum try and keep carbs very low (or non at all) and the ‘eat well plate’ is out of date.

• Agree
Reactions: jpscloud and filly

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@DevP @MissMuffett The commonality is low carb/keto. Provided we eat real food, not UPF garbage, it matters little if we achieve that through a carnivore diet or a vegetarian on or something in between.

Reactions: MissMuffett
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

For breakfast, focus on balanced meals that include protein, healthy fats, and fiber-rich carbs. This mix can help keep your blood sugar levels stable and support weight loss. Some ideas to try are Greek yogurt with berries and nuts, scrambled eggs with veggies, or oatmeal with almonds.
Just pay attention to how different foods affect your body, and don't worry too much—you'll get more guidance from the diabetes clinic when you visit on Monday. Hang in there, and feel free to reach out if you need anything else!

Reactions: Omar51