Advice re yogurts

Pagetbabs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am struggling with a low carb. High fat diet could anyone advise me what yogurt is the best to try please

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any natural yogurt that isn't low fat. Greek yogurts tend to be highest in fat, failing that creme frech is quite nice and is 30% fat

Reactions: KezG

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I buy 15 % fat yogurt it's a large tub from Lidl, i add a dollop of thick cream and some crushed walnuts, it's yum. It's not sour, and the cream makes it a nice
Pud. You can add berries to it. Raspberries warmed up to make juice are lovely in it too.

Last edited:

Pagetbabs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any natural yogurt that isn't low fat. Greek yogurts tend to be highest in fat, failing that creme frech is quite nice and is 30% fat
Thank you, but the Greek yogurts I have looked at seem to be high in sugar e.g.16g plus how would that work? Or am I being dumb.

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I buy Aldi (Brooklea) Greek yogurt, 3.7g carbs of which 3.2 sugars per 100g. Perhaps the ones you mention with high sugars are the Greek style ones not the authentic Greek ones.

Reactions: callyandy

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, but the Greek yogurts I have looked at seem to be high in sugar e.g.16g plus how would that work? Or am I being dumb.

Look at the plain basic Greek yoghurts. Many are flavoured and so have higher carbs.

Pagetbabs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I buy Aldi (Brooklea) Greek yogurt, 3.7g carbs of which 3.2 sugars per 100g. Perhaps the ones you mention with high sugars are the Greek style ones not the authentic Greek ones.
Thank you so much that is really helpful and a problem solved. I am most grateful

Reactions: 75Bedford

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Marks and Spencer sell Authentic Greek Yogurt 10% fat 30g serving only has0.6 grams of sugar £1.95 for 450 g tub. It's confusing when there is Greek Style and real Greek Yogurt, Marks is a product from Greece.hope this at least gives you somewhere to buy real thing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Fage Total Greek Yogurt. I mix in a tablespoon of flaxseed and a few raspberries or cut up strawberries. It's lovely.

Reactions: Robbity

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I use a yoghurt maker and packets by Easiyo. They make up a litre at a time, the Greek style is very thick and creamy but there is no added sugar and they are full of the live bugs that are supposed to be good for us. I have two pots on the go, one plain and one flavoured so that I have just a spoonful of flavoured in the plain for breakfast. The plain yoghurt is also good for making quick and easy dressings for salads, just add a teaspoon of grainy mustard, horse radish etc to a tablespoon of yoghurt.

Reactions: jonbvn and Jillytee

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Fage Total Greek Yogurt. I mix in a tablespoon of flaxseed and a few raspberries or cut up strawberries. It's lovely.
Same here although I had Rachael's organic for a couple of weeks because our local supermarket couldn't get Fage and that was lovely too however it is slightly higher in carbs and calories so I'm back on the Fage which is also nice with Blueberries and a tablespoon of Granola!!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some local dairies make their own yoghurt worth looking out for .My local Asda do Lancashire farms full fat yoghurt good quality and value
CAROL

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Sainsburys greek style yoghurt isn't bad - its not a bland yoghurt - it has a bit of bite to it.

Smelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get the four pack of tesco greek style yogurts and add a bit of total sweet and nuts or a few blueberries.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Dave or Skyr for me.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart from the Greek yogurts which are normally fine, I buy Irish Yogurts Fruit Diet Yogurts. No added sugar or starch - just sweeteners.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much that is really helpful and a problem solved. I am most grateful
And they're only about £1.30 for 500g, compared to the Total Fage ones at £2.50 + for the same size

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Total Fage for me and always has been both pre and post diabetic diagnosis. I like an tangy tasting yoghurt, but if I want something less so then I'll have creme fraiche or a combination of full fat soft cheese and thick cream.

Robbity

Pagetbabs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to you all, you have given me lots to go on.
Thank you