Afraid of creeping paranoia :-(

Dottybagpuss

Hi All

I do hope this won't seem silly, but since starting on insulin just over a week ago and finally starting to realise that I have to buckle down to some kind of healthy diet and proper regime, I have felt myself becoming more paranoid by the minute. Although I have been diagnosed T2 for 6 years now, I don't think I have ever truly taken it seriously. I have been a bit of an ostrich with head buried deep in the sand (or chocolate) :(

It is good, I know, that I am finally taking responsibility for my diabetes and trying to get healthier and lose weight. But right now it seems to be all that I think about, every waking hour, and even in my dreams!! Please someone tell me that this is normal when someone finally accepts the situation and will soon settle and fade to merely being careful and aware each day.

I am what I like to call a "depressaholic", being someone who can easily slip into depression but who usually has it well in the background. I am worried that if this apparent paranoia stays with me, it will be a trigger for another bout of depression.
I quite believe that exercise is a great way of helping depression, but exercise is not an option for me due to other health problems.

Any help, advice, encouragement or sharing of similar thoughts would be most gratefully read and taken on board.

A

Anonymous

We are all the same Dotty. I casn see my daughters eyes glazing over when I talk about carbs now. We went shopping for food today, and she was looking at the food values on packaging along with me. I have heard it gets better.

How about sitting outside on days that are dry? I believe that can lift moods.

Dottybagpuss

Thank you so much for the encouragement Jeannemum, I do so hope you are right about it getting better! It's great that your daughter is helping you when you are shopping. Somehow I can't see my partner being the same!!

And I'm sure you are also right about sitting outside helping to lift one's mood. Just a pity that we seem to get more wet days than dry! I'll just have to borrow partner's biggest golf umbrella, and sit out regardless! Maybe the wetness will help me shrink.... :D

A

Anonymous

Dottybagpuss said:
Thank you so much for the encouragement Jeannemum, I do so hope you are right about it getting better! It's great that your daughter is helping you when you are shopping. Somehow I can't see my partner being the same!!

And I'm sure you are also right about sitting outside helping to lift one's mood. Just a pity that we seem to get more wet days than dry! I'll just have to borrow partner's biggest golf umbrella, and sit out regardless! Maybe the wetness will help me shrink.... :D

I think she was doing it to shut me up Dotty. She is probably fed up with me tutting and putting stuff back.

If there is shrinkage, I will meet you outside :lol: I think I heard 10 minutes of daylight on your arms and face give you enough vitamin D for the day. I feel for you. I have bouts of depression as well x

Dottybagpuss

:wink: Don't think even immersing my body from the neck down in a tank of water for 23hrs a day would cause the kind of shrinkage I need :shock:

Take care xxxx

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Me neither. That explains why the swimming isnt working!!!

Yep to the obsession though. 5 weeks on, and I am still dreaming about it all.

loulou61

hello susan,
i have just read your post but i could not belive my eyes you are like my twin i also have had diabetes for years but i have not looked after myself and i,m now at the last chance saloon before insulin i also suffer with depression and many more illness. Because i have not looked after myself its like starting all over again so im hopeing this forum will give me some help as i have found the nhss not that helpfull its like a mine field out there and like you its all i think of and im to scared to eat anyting now my sugars were 26 the other day and got a phone call from the out of hours doctor which gave me a shock the lease to say. i have now got to down to 11 but it was 18 today its all over the place,i have learnt on here that its best to take your bloods 2 hours after food to see if what i have eaten has had affect on it, also i find it goes up over night even if i have not eaten whats that all about well confused.com take care louise

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Susan

i have been a T2 for 7 years and I too have chosen to ignore my diabetes while battling with other things in my life :( but now I am determined to sort it out and yes...since I have started ...i wake up and sleep thinking about it..and the more I had to face it the more scared i got about the whole diabetes thing.

but we need to think positive...believe me...i have depressive tendancies so I do need to keep a check on myself. I would suggest that if you feel getting down take pen to paper...i just pour whatever I am thinking/feeling out and i find it easier my mind....

we are facing a big thing but we can do it...especially with all the support that we can offer each other.

hang in there!! we are taking responsibility for ourselves...it is GREAT :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Susan

It gets better as you get control, start feeling happier and realise you're winning. After that it's not such a big thing.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you'd benefit from reading the threads here about Vitamin D, Dottybagpuss...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Get a Bagpuss DVD - & a CD of the music for your car. I hope your cat is listening to the MMM organ.

I'm a Bagpuss fan, I've had some correspondence with Madelaine - who is a University professor! I've sung some of their songs at our tennis club open mike.

Seriously, get the best control you can, & take up activities that relate to people - church, club, singing (think of the Military Wives), community centre, gym. Anything you can look forward to with other people. You can't forget diabetes, but once you've set up a routine to cope, you can get on with life.