Type 2 After effects of 2017 flu jab

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys. Knowing the combined wisdom of this community I wondered if my experience after my injection was just unusual or totally unconnected. Anyone else getting slightly raised BG levels following Flu Jab - nothing hair raising but annoying e.g. fasting and meals .2 to .4 raise

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I did, apart from a couple of sore swollen glands in my neck the flu jab side, I didn’t feel unwell but glucose readings were up by 0.3 or 0.4 for around five days. I have my pneumonia jab tomorrow so we’ll see what that brings :eek:

D

Deleted Account

Yes I did, apart from a couple of sore swollen glands in my neck the flu jab side, I didn’t feel unwell but glucose readings were up by 0.3 or 0.4 for around five days. I have my pneumonia jab tomorrow so we’ll see what that brings :eek:
The only time I have experienced any ill-effects from the flu jab was when I also had a pneumonia jab. I have only had a pneumonia jab once: about 12 years ago. It is not possible to say which caused the "flu-type symptoms" for about a week. However, I know others who had similar response to both flu and pneumonia in a different year, so, different flu vaccine. Their reaction was to refuse to have a flu jab ever again: mine was to continue with flu and I have been fine ever since.

I hope your pneumonia jab is not too bad.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only time I have experienced any ill-effects from the flu jab was when I also had a pneumonia jab. I have only had a pneumonia jab once: about 12 years ago. It is not possible to say which caused the "flu-type symptoms" for about a week. However, I know others who had similar response to both flu and pneumonia in a different year, so, different flu vaccine. Their reaction was to refuse to have a flu jab ever again: mine was to continue with flu and I have been fine ever since.

I was instructed to have them a couple of weeks apart, I guess gauging which you are reacting to if you react is as good a reason as any. I don’t work Thurs or Fri, so plenty of time to rest up if I do feel rotten

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my flu jab on Monday 23rd, since my bloods have been all over the place! I really think it depends on the person and how the jab effects them - some people are seriously ill for a few days afterwards whereas some others get no symptoms. I'm lucky I don't get the symptoms, but I've noticed the last two times my sugars have spiralled up and out of sight! :(

Reactions: ianpspurs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Would you have the pneumonia jab again? If your last one was about 12 years ago, the bad news is, you may be due another one!
https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/pneumococcal-vaccination.aspx#How

I had mine at the same time as the flu jab a few years ago. I was asked if I am allergic to eggs. I said I bloody hope not, I live off them! I had to have them in different arms.

I have never had any sort of reaction to the flu jab, nor when I had both at the same time.

D

Deleted Account

Would you have the pneumonia jab again? If your last one was about 12 years ago, the bad news is, you may be due another one!
Yes, I'd rather have mild flu than pneumonia.
However, I'll wait for it to be offered and hope my "underlying health problem" does not require a five yearly vaccination.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies guys. I knew there would be some good replies here. I have had no obvious side effects other than BG rises I couldn't put down to anything else - looking back to last 2 years that has not happened before.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my flu jab a couple of weeks before my pneumonia jab last week - no discernible difference in my blood sugars to report. Flu arm was sore for a few days, pneumonia arm for just one day.

Have had a sore throat for a couple of days, mind you, but for that I'm blaming the chap I sat next to at the theatre last week. He should NOT have been out in public in a state like that!

#keepyourgermstoyourself

:)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slightly sore arm for 24 hrs no noticeable changes in bs or anything else :)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I’ve had the flu jab for the past 3 or 4 years without ill effect, and had the pneumonia jab without a problem about 2 years ago but it was on a different day to the flu jab.

Interestingly, I have friends (one with T1) who were both given the flu and pneumonia jabs (one in each arm) on the same day this year; both complained of very sore arms and a raised, red lump. My T1 friend* also noted slightly higher BG readings than expected, indicating some sort of inflammation (for about 24 hours).

Therefore, perhaps some people do react to having the two anti vaccines at the same time.

*Ps I don’t normally refer to my friends by their medical conditions :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes!

Raised blood glucose levels, it kicked me out of ketosis.
Had to wait two weeks for normal blood levels.
Was not myself, felt awful!