After the Newcastle Diet Real World

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@AM1874 if you havent done it please do not put out your view of the truth without really understanding just because you want to push low carb.

@DaveSyl I completed a low calorie diet which I did forlonger than 8 weeks some years back and now eat completely normally. This includes sweets, biscuits and cakes when I want to and my blood sugar level stays within normal at all times. My HbA1c since has been consistently 33 so it has worked for me. The only other thing I will add is what have you got to lose in trying it? If it doesnt work then you are no worse off and if it does (even if it lasts for a few years only) then thumbs up.

Hi, I'm just wondering if this is still the case. Researching VLCD for a presentation I'm giving. Thanks

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. Giving a talk in November (see my latest post for full details) and I'm going to say lchf not the only way. VLCD and bariatric surgery also. But I'm not sure how sustainable VLCD is for obvious reasons. I do know about the 2 year results. How is VLCD sustainable. And what if you are a thin diabetic! Not an option. Thanks again.

Reactions: jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you explain what you mean by this, please? The Very Low Calorie phase is not meant to be permanent.

How short term is it exactly? 12 weeks? Then low carb? Just trying to learn more.

M

Member496333

As a TOFI at diagnosis, if I’d have used VLCD to beat my diabetes I’d have been dead by the end of the first week :p

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have not tried a very low calorie diet since being diagnosed with diabetes, but as part of my yo-yo dieting in the past have done a similar diet to the one you are considering.
It obviously was not a success for me, but that does not mean it can't be for others. My concern is whether weight loss from crash dieting is sustainable - I guess it works for some people?
You might find this discussion interesting - there are links to the original article and the authors response to this (via google scholar)
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31889-0/fulltext

BTW if you want to follow through on eating out while low carb, or while restricting calories after, let me know - I have links, advice, etc.

Tannith

BANNED
Thank you so much. Giving a talk in November (see my latest post for full details) and I'm going to say lchf not the only way. VLCD and bariatric surgery also. But I'm not sure how sustainable VLCD is for obvious reasons. I do know about the 2 year results. How is VLCD sustainable. And what if you are a thin diabetic! Not an option. Thanks again.
I did the "Newcastle" or rather my own version of it using real food between about August 2017 and end Dec of that year/very early Jan of 2018. I lost about15lb in that time and then my BG went down to normal I then tried to keep up the weight loss and unintentionally not only kept it up but lost a further approx 8 lb over the next 9/10 months or so to approx end 2018. Stayed level until about May 2019 then between then and now put back approx 5lb, I suspect by eating a lot of chocolate ice cream with double cream! I eat what I consider normal amounts of carbs. That is any I like really, without going to extremes which might put the weight back on. Eg I normally have 2 pieces toast or more often crumpets for breakfast, plenty of potatoes or rice with my lunch and tinned soup plus often another piece of toast for supper. I just had my HBA!C results back today and it is 39. This causes me to believe that once I had lost the original excess fat on my pancreas with the Newcastle I was able to tolerate normal amounts of carbs as I had done years ago.

Caprock94

I did the "Newcastle" or rather my own version of it using real food between about August 2017 and end Dec of that year/very early Jan of 2018. I lost about15lb in that time and then my BG went down to normal I then tried to keep up the weight loss and unintentionally not only kept it up but lost a further approx 8 lb over the next 9/10 months or so to approx end 2018. Stayed level until about May 2019 then between then and now put back approx 5lb, I suspect by eating a lot of chocolate ice cream with double cream! I eat what I consider normal amounts of carbs. That is any I like really, without going to extremes which might put the weight back on. Eg I normally have 2 pieces toast or more often crumpets for breakfast, plenty of potatoes or rice with my lunch and tinned soup plus often another piece of toast for supper. I just had my HBA!C results back today and it is 39. This causes me to believe that once I had lost the original excess fat on my pancreas with the Newcastle I was able to tolerate normal amounts of carbs as I had done years ago.

I am tempted to give this a try. After my diagnosis, I went the LCHF diet. It has worked well for me, and my blood sugar is in normal ranges now. I still get spikes if I eat too many carbs. I try to avoid doing that too much. I wonder if it would be worth trying to get any remaining fat out of the pancreas. My fatty liver numbers completely normalized after just a few weeks or so of LCHF. I consider LCHF a sustainable long term diet for me. I just wonder if doing the Newcastle diet might make me even better, and then return to LCHF.

Dark Horse

Or perhaps it is. 4th paragraph down, links to Richard Doughty’s story:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation
Sorry, bit of a late reply but Richard Doughty's initial height and weight gave him a BMI of 23 which is in the upper half of the normal range - this does not equate with 'thin'. Prof Taylor has hypothesized that everyone has a 'personal fat threshold' above which they become diabetic. Most people would not reach this threshold until they are overweight or obese. For some people, however, their personal fat threshold lies in the upper range of normal BMI so they may be able to put their diabetes into remission by sufficient weight-loss to reduce their BMI to low normal.

As @Debandez says, if someone is thin (BMI below normal range), they can't afford to lose weight on a VLCD.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results. Well done. Do you test your blood sugars ever? If so are they normal? Or do you spike after carbs?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
13/11 = 5.5
14/12 = 5.1

Rushing around trying to get things done.

Xmas do tonight. Pre drinks in house. Followed by xmas meal in a PIZZERIA! I'm sweating already! I will report back tomorrow.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been low carbing for 18 months now, and am in remission. I still try to keep below 110g a day

Eating out
At first I found eating out very tough but I am much firmer with staff and friends now while trying to be helpful:
if there is nothing suitable I will open up sandwiches and eat the contents, leaving the bread, I've even used a teaspoon to eat part of the filling of a quiche!
I will take my own snack food - originally cheesy 'egg muffins'*, now I sometimes take peanut or almond butter nut balls in a small tub. or the small packets of peanut butter, mini packs of cheese, etc.
if travelling for longer, ie too long to keep eggs etc out of a fridge, I pack nuts and 85% chocolate, if you like beef jerky that travels well
If dining at friends' homes I take some cauliflower rice, or a raspberry & cream based dessert to share. Or a low carb almond/coconut flour cake.
I ask for extra veg or a salad instead of the carbs in restaurants, they are usually happy to do this. I've also ordered a burger without the bun without raised eyebrows.

*eggy muffins - 2 eggs to a spoon of cream, beaten up with black pepper. put a little grated cheese into a bun tin (I use about 15-20g per two eggs)
pour the egg mix over (about 3/4 full), bake at 180 for 12-14 mins until just slightly wobbly. Cool, store in fridge for up to two days. Pack with mini cucumbers or lettuce.

Tannith

BANNED
Brilliant results. Well done. Do you test your blood sugars ever? If so are they normal? Or do you spike after carbs?
My hba1c was 39 last week. I do very occasionally nowadays test my Bg in the mornings having fasted all night, and Bg is always normal. I have never tried it after carbs so I don't know if I spike.

Reactions: Lizzyr59