Afternoon sleepiness - any remedy

elizavk

I am diabetic for last 7 years. I am taking metformin 500mg morning and evening. My problem is afternoon sleepiness. So tired and sleepy that I am unable to do routine office work.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Eliza and welcome to the forum.
Even though you have been diabetic for a number of years i’ll post a link to our useful info:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
I am assuming you are type 2 as you only mention Metformin as your meds. Can I just ask if you eat any particular diet to control your diabetes? I ask as high blood sugar levels can make you tired after meals. Do you check your blood sugar levels at all?

Reactions: ickihun

elizavk

Do you know what your BG is in the afternoon when you feel sleepy?
And what do you eat for your midday meal?
I find a high BG can make me feel very sleepy.
Perhaps, if it is possible, you could reduce the carbs in your lunch, your BG would not rise and you may feel more alert?
I have some rice, vegetable curries, fish or omlete for lunch. My blood sugar after 2 hours of lunch is usually 140-160mg/dl (7.8 to8.9 mmol/l). Usually very sleepy about 45 minutes after lunch.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some rice, vegetable curries, fish or omlete for lunch. My blood sugar after 2 hours of lunch is usually 140-160mg/dl (7.8 to8.9 mmol/l). Usually very sleepy about 45 minutes after lunch.
...It's the rice. Lots of carbs in there. Dunno what's in curry because I've never had any (I'm Dutch), but yeah... You could replace it with cauliflower rice? Fish without batter'd be great, omelette too. Just don't use anything with potatoes, rice, cereal, corn or pasta. No fruit either, save for berries, and then with something fatty added...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could check your bg when you feel sleepy after lunch. It may be the rice is spiking you high enough to make you sleepy.

Reactions: 1spuds

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A strong cup of coffee usually helps me to stay alert.

Polarice

I am diabetic for last 7 years. I am taking metformin 500mg morning and evening. My problem is afternoon sleepiness. So tired and sleepy that I am unable to do routine office work.

I've just got up having spent 34 of the last 40 hours asleep. I 'dream' of only being tired in the afternoons..........

liblob67

I share your pain! Sometimes a high blood sugar spike after meals immediately knocks me out, the sleepiness is overwhelming, like some sort of diabetic coma. I fall asleep at my desk, and if I'm in a meeting I fall asleep in front of my colleagues, it's so embarassing. The only way I have ever found to avoid this is to stick religiously to a no-carb diet (sorry, a nightmare for busy working people), drinks LOADS of water, and go for a short walk after lunch. And never drive after eating anything high carb...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just got up having spent 34 of the last 40 hours asleep. I 'dream' of only being tired in the afternoons..........
That sounds like a whole different problem than Eliza's. Have you seen a HCP about your sleeping? Do you know what the cause is? If you have questions you can start a new thread about it. That would give you more response and doesn't divert this thread from the original question.
Wish you well!

Mandeepsingh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Elizavk

I've been a type 1 diabetic for 27 yrs and like many of the other posts i too become sleeply / lethergic if my BG is too high, for me above 13. Again keep an eye on your carb intake and test after food when you start to feel sleepy and act accordingly. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Mandeep

Reactions: jjraak

Mandeepsingh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Elizavk

I've been a type 1 diabetic for 27 yrs and like many of the other posts i too become sleeply / lethergic if my BG is too high, for me above 13. Again keep an eye on your carb intake and test after food when you start to feel sleepy and act accordingly. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Mandeep

Just remembered 30mins brisk walk can help lower the BG enough but of course the question is do you have 30mins spare to do this. Again best of luck

Mandeep

putz593

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Unpleasant people
I used to get this, it was the Metformin that made me feel tired. I mentioned this to my doctor and changed my Metformin to a slow release one, it seemed to do the trick.

Reactions: ickihun and 1spuds

rachaelc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...It's the rice. Lots of carbs in there. Dunno what's in curry because I've never had any (I'm Dutch), but yeah... You could replace it with cauliflower rice? Fish without batter'd be great, omelette too. Just don't use anything with potatoes, rice, cereal, corn or pasta. No fruit either, save for berries, and then with something fatty added...
Yes it's heavy carbs like rice/potato/bread. That's quite a high blood sugar too.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nothing wrong with having a power nap at lunchtime. It can be most beneficial a good coffeek after 20 minutes nap might help. My late father plus a lot of other people in late middle age benefited from these naps.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee or strong tea is my go to.Since Ive retired I often take a 1-2 hour nap around 5-6 PM and 4-5 hours at night,works for me.Folks used to go to bed after dinner and couple hours after sundown,then get up later and do whatever,then sleep again before sunrise.Supposedly we are wired that way.

elizavk

Thank you friends for all the replies. As per the food habits of the region where I live, it is difficult to find a meal without rice. I will keep my portion size as low as possible. Will try a 15-20 minutes walk too. Full 30 minutes will be difficult to find out

Reactions: jjraak

elizavk

I share your pain! Sometimes a high blood sugar spike after meals immediately knocks me out, the sleepiness is overwhelming, like some sort of diabetic coma. I fall asleep at my desk, and if I'm in a meeting I fall asleep in front of my colleagues, it's so embarassing. The only way I have ever found to avoid this is to stick religiously to a no-carb diet (sorry, a nightmare for busy working people), drinks LOADS of water, and go for a short walk after lunch. And never drive after eating anything high carb...
This is exactly my problem too.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you friends for all the replies. As per the food habits of the region where I live, it is difficult to find a meal without rice. I will keep my portion size as low as possible. Will try a 15-20 minutes walk too. Full 30 minutes will be difficult to find out
There's cauliflower rice which is a fantastic alternative to rice, very tasty with curries. My family anmd I love rice more than noodles and cauliflower rice has been beneficial to keeping my BG levels stable. It doesn't take long to cook compared to rice. :) Or as you say cut down the portion of your rice and fill it up on either veg or more protein, possibly more fat too.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @elizavk

Well.....we all have a certain body rythmn, we should pay attention to, but there is nothing that says what meal you HAVE to eat and when.

Try skipping lunch. see if that improves anything
OR

You could switch lunch for some Greek yoghurt and berries perhaps, then push lunch back untill after work... Skip dinner, or pick the one meal that offers the most appropriate amount of food to your appetite at the time.

My food menu for the day rarely fits the normal 3 square meal a day mantra anymore.

Food, while enjoyable, is now also a tool, to help get me through the day... And like any tool it depends how YOU use it and making it suit your needs.

Good luck finding a solution