Alcohol

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have I missed it :shock: ? I can bring some of WJ's chocolate muffins, they'll defrost while I'm traveling. I've got double cream and raspberries to go with them......and I'll bring some Gin.

Ann

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Ann19 said:
Have I missed it :shock: ? I can bring some of WJ's chocolate muffins, they'll defrost while I'm traveling. I've got double cream and raspberries to go with them......and I'll bring some Gin.

Ann
Make it 'Bombay Sapphire' Gin and I'll come!!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Paul1976 said:
Ann19 said:

Ann

I don't care what Gin hic...

I'm well happy. Children coming home for Easter so wife has made home made hot cross buns. Not a chance of resisting. Toasted two around 60g of carbs forced butter into them in as much quantity as I could (another little trick I think works). mmmm. Pint of G&T to help them down. BG's untouched 5.2 prior and 5.2 now.

Happy Easter everyone :wave:

mbudzi

Finally I understand ... Thank you Grazer!!! Diabetic nurse abd dietician wouldnt discuss this ( I can see why). I had wrongly figured that the liver was dealing with the toxins and therefore couldn't "produce" glucose. Not that it was part of the processing of the food I ate...is it too late to go back and listen to my biology teacher!!!!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
xyzzy said:
Paul1976 said:
Ann19 said:

Ann

I don't care what Gin hic...

I'm well happy. Children coming home for Easter so wife has made home made hot cross buns. Not a chance of resisting. Toasted two around 60g of carbs forced butter into them in as much quantity as I could (another little trick I think works). mmmm. Pint of G&T to help them down. BG's untouched 5.2 prior and 5.2 now.

Happy Easter everyone :wave:

Hedonist! :lol: (hic!)

Viv 8)

Grazer

Any other results type reports? Can't come to the party without test results so there! :wave:

Defren

Yes, I have an update. Test results are with 50ml Gin and one full can of Sainsbury's diet Indian tonic water. Since starting this my BG has been lower. Yesterday my highest BG reading has been 6.5 my lowest 5.5. All but three of my readings have been in the 5's. I can say there is a difference, it's small, but if you eat something with high sugar, it regulates it within half an hour. (I found out by accident with the sausages). So, yes, I can say for me it works. I don't think I would do this long term, infact will probably stop after Easter. I will keep some alcohol handy incase I do have something a little 'naughty' (highly unlikely) :lol:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep. I had a night out last night...just to get into the "spirit" of things for Grazer's party.

Must have had at least 8 (probably more but I lost count :lol: ) bacardi's. FBG this morning was 6.5 which is good for me especially as I had a cheeseburger and chips for dinner last night.(was too drunk to test before bed :oops: )

So does that mean I can come to the party Grazer?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Bad news the pint of gin worked last night but have been very high for me all day. Had fasting levels in the low 6's all day. Looks to me like there is a gin hot cross bun reaction still going on. :?

Grazer

chocoholicnomore said:
Yep. I had a night out last night...just to get into the "spirit" of things for Grazer's party.

Must have had at least 8 (probably more but I lost count :lol: ) bacardi's. FBG this morning was 6.5 which is good for me especially as I had a cheeseburger and chips for dinner last night.(was too drunk to test before bed :oops: )

So does that mean I can come to the party Grazer?

Yep, you've qualified! I've got some special chocolate liqueur for you!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have some home made wine at the back of the garage that my husband says is a weapon of mass destruction :twisted:
If anyone wants to pick it up they are welcome but I think that they may need full body armour
CAROL

Sloan973

I am very new to this but I have had high blood pressure for years, and that always seems to lower too after a few drinks. Is it about absorption or just being more relaxed when taking the readings? I am also very confused about the carbs debate-do I eat healthy balanced meals or go on an Atkins type diet. My fasting levels are around 8.4 and peak at 10.5. Not yet on meds.
Eddie

MaryJ

Sloan973 said:
I am very new to this but I have had high blood pressure for years, and that always seems to lower too after a few drinks. Is it about absorption or just being more relaxed when taking the readings? I am also very confused about the carbs debate-do I eat healthy balanced meals or go on an Atkins type diet. My fasting levels are around 8.4 and peak at 10.5. Not yet on meds.
Eddie

hi Eddie

Many people find lowering carbs has the most dramatic effect on the BG.

If you haven't got one, get 1 and start testing your meals after 2 hours. If it goes >8.5 (or 7.8if you prefer to aim lower) then eliminate or reduce the carbs in that meal.

Keep a record of what you are eating and the readings afterwards.

Re the BP I have the same result , don't know the science tho.

Mary x

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Sloan973 said:
Eddie

Hi Eddie

Being a dedicated Atkins fan, as anyone on here will tell you :lol: , I'd recommend you to try Atkins. But I can bore for England about Atkins - it works for me.

In my experience I not only lose weight on A, but my blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol all come down too. I came off my BP medication in January, with the doctor's approval.

A version of the diet written specially for diabetics, Type 2 in particular, is Atkins Diabetes Revolution, by M C Vernon and J A Eberstein.

A version of his Induction Phase is on the Sticky Thread section - Viv's Modified Atkins Diet . Have a look at that and see what you think of it. It might be a bit too low in carbs for you. Get a carb counter book - plenty on Amazon etc - work how many carbs you're eating now, and choose a level you want to start at. Maybe 100g per day? Keep testing, and if you're still too high, cut your carbs again.

Or go for less than 30g per day (my version) and be amazed :shock: :D .

Viv 8)