CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi as anyone used Almond flour and if so what was the result with blood sugars
Almond flour is ground almonds so yes loads of us use it for cooking and baking :) Obviously if you replace flour with GA then it lightens the load on your pancreas :)

Reactions: 2 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Thank yo for that, what about another flour!!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use gram flour to make pancakes and put in it green chilli ginger and garlic paste with some tomatoes and onions and salt and some Indian spices and its smashing. Used to have that with bread but that's out.
I make my own ground almond, just blanch them before using and make a flour, for me it's just better than buying it from outside. Although today as I am over with almonds I might have to just pick a packet of flour. Making my own gives me peace of mind and I make bread of exactly 100 grams almond, rest everything in that is almost no carbs like eggs and cheese so I know exactly how many carb whole loaf and each slice of bread have.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
thank you
You get a good result from: 3 eggs,a tblspn of almond,coconut ,your fav' spices/ herbs, 1 tblspn of cream, blend well & into a frying pan with butter/ olive oil,on a moderate heat cook for 6 mins, then under a moderate grill for a further 5 mins ( sprinkle with cheese ) at this stage if desired

Reactions: 4 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You get a good result from: 3 eggs,a tblspn of almond,coconut ,your fav' spices/ herbs, 1 tblspn of cream, blend well & into a frying pan with butter/ olive oil,on a moderate heat cook for 6 mins, then under a moderate grill for a further 5 mins ( sprinkle with cheese ) at this stage if desired
That's my breakfast now today.
I remember when I started lchf I was thinking standing in the kitchen what the bleep do I eat but now I think oh should I make this today or that or that

Reactions: 6 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I will try to make my own , thanks all for the advice

Dilly40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This my sound silly but how do you get the ground almonds fine enough to bake with? I tried sieving it and gave up after 20 mins. The cakes tasted ok just felt like I had a mouth full of coconut.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This my sound silly but how do you get the ground almonds fine enough to bake with? I tried sieving it and gave up after 20 mins. The cakes tasted ok just felt like I had a mouth full of coconut.
Whizz mine up in a handheld blender. Most of my recipes state cups.. So just put in a cup at a time and blitz for a few seconds...

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Err....you use almond flour....not ground almonds

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No, ground almonds just blitzed again in a blender... = Almond flour

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm happy using ground almonds in my baking, sweet or savoury, and with or without other additions like flaxseed. On its own I don't find it has a grainy texture at all. I can't get on with cooking/baking with coconut flour, but do like sesame flour, both of which are much finer than my ground almonds.

Robbity

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Err the difference between ground almonds( however fine) is almond flour has the brown skin removed and is finer and lighter
I don't... Just blitz the ground almonds again...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've started to use ground almonds to coat haddock, which I then fry in butter.... and it's pretty good.... cooks a lot quicker than when I did it with bread crumbs.... spit spit.....

Reactions: 8 people

shelz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own almond milk (well, the machine does) and I have almond pulp left over which I throw away as I can't think of anything to use it for. I'd appreciate any ideas.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive just started baking with almond flour and I find it doesn't spike my BS at all

Reactions: 4 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
hi well that sound promising