Alternative to Metformin and How Metformin Works

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I lean towards the sporting angle of Type 2 management. I believe this video crosses over to assist anyone who wants to understand Metformin and what an alternative solution is.

Stan Efferding is a massive name in strength training, individually he has been at the top level and trains up the World Strongest Man. Stan had a rising HbA1c as do many large body builders / strength athletes who carb up. Stan is an academic who researched what was required to get in range, and along with detailing what Metformin does, details the simple step that helped him to lower blood glucose......

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Interesting. I already did (and still do) a brisk 30min walk each day before the official onset of my T2 diabetes. I note that he says this would be better if it was 3 x 10min walks per day - though obviously that would take more time.

I have never taken an Diabetes meds ( only diagnosed in April 2019), but what I did notice was the dramatic effect on both my Blood Glucose and my weight of just switching from a worldwide medical establishment recommended high 'healthy carb' and 5 a day lifestyle to a Low Carb High Fat lifestyle.
I say lifestyle in both cases, since I neve had an objective of losing weight having always been fairly slim and only just into the 'overweight category even at diagnosis.
Even at first when I was eating so much cheese that my total calorie intake was probably higher than before, both my post-prandial Blood Glucose figures were within range and my weigh started to drop at just over 1lb per week.
Subsequently this weigh loss has reduced (thank goodness) and the average is now less than 1lb per week since I have lost 10% or my original body weight.

Thus I come to the conclusion that for me at least the composition of the diet is much more important than exercise - assuming at least some exercise is done.

Reactions: kokhongw

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fascinating stuff @Mbaker

Thanks for posting.

Interesting how he praises Metformin and nicely describes it's actions.

Nice clear details for me anyway, of what he mentions and how it/ how well it works.

Hadn't considered the old trackers move warnings in quite that way, but it makes good sense when looked at like that.

I take Metformin, and seeing that, while I agree it's credible, perhaps for those who take it, there might be an added benefit of keeping on it AND following some of his ideas.

Not knocking it, for those reluctant or wishing to come off metformin, great idea.

I just liked the angle it might add an additional boost to those on Metformin who are happy to continue taking it.

Nice post again. Thanks.