Alternative to potatoes?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
apologies if this has already been discussed, but i'd like to know what i can use in place of potatoes?

I have not fully gone low carb yet, and I am a fussy eater. A typical meal for me right now is oven chips or boiled potatoes, sliced chicken, half a tin of spaghetti hoops and some veg.
If I cut out the potatoes and the spaghetti, i don't know what to have with the meat and veg?

Any advice please?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We would have a bit more meat and more veg. and would put a big chunk of butter on the veg. We might have celeriac chips, or a very modest quantity of butternut squash, also as chips. You can also mash these, as you can with cauliflower.
Perhaps bulk out your meal with a "starter" of a chunk of cheese or finish with some berries and cream or low sugar jelly.
Sally

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can tolerate potatoes so continue to eat a very small portion. I find Spanish potato omelette and Runbledethumps have a very little impact on my BG as they are potato with veg and cheese etc.

Hope this helps.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
If you like broccoli and cauliflour this is lovely both mashed together with pepper cream garlic puree,or roasted Celeriac or chipped. This tastes very much like parsnips

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can tolerate potatoes. My meter has dictated the portion sizes and the type of potato. Two new boiled, or 2 small roast, or a small handful of chips fried. No mash or baked. Have you tried testing some out to see what they do to your levels, and reducing the portion size according to what your meter tells you? Because my portion sizes are small, I just add extra of the other stuff.

ChrisM28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pumpkin polenta - steam or boil pumpkin then beat in creme fraiche (or cream) and parmesan - yummy.

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I often eat lots of veg, with cheese, or stewed with some meat or fish, or made into a soup, possibly with a salad of cucumber, tomatoes and onion on the side, and leave the potatoes and spaghetti in the store. I'm not really low-carbing, but on insulin and too lazy to count carbs all the time so I avoid them when I do not particularly feel like eating them. Bacon makes vegetables a lot more interesting as well :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just add in another vege, and then have a dessert - the protein and fat is all you really need, but the wider the variety of veges you can eat the more entertaining your menu.