Alternative UK Insulin Suppliers

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having read the possible problems we may face over Brexit and foreign suppliers of Insulin, could we not turn to UK suppliers to alleviate the possible problems of an Insulin shortage? I will see which suppliers the UK has

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The UK does not make any insulin.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The U.K. only produces a very limited quantity of animal-derived insulin, most certainly insufficient for current insulin users. We’re told that arrangements are being made to import supplies by air if there’s a serious blockage at the port(s) but as with everything else Brexit we’ll have to wait and see.

Reactions: kitedoc

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Having read the possible problems we may face over Brexit and foreign suppliers of Insulin, could we not turn to UK suppliers to alleviate the possible problems of an Insulin shortage? I will see which suppliers the UK has
https://www.channel4.com/news/factc...supplies-really-at-risk-from-a-no-deal-brexit

The only UK supplier produces animal insulin for 1% of the UK's insulin users, so I think we'll have to continue to use insulin from Europe. The government assure us they have contingency plans and the suppliers claim they don't anticipate a problem. A cynic might be skeptical but channel 4 were convinced....

Reactions: kitedoc

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps someone in the UK will be prompted to start to set up a UK Insulin manufacturing company

Reactions: Dodo

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novo nordisk announced on Facebook recently that they always are 7 weeks ahead with insulin supplies to the uk. In order to cover any unforeseen circumstances surrounding Brexit they have increased this holding supply to 16 weeks.
The only way that we will have a shortage is if idiots stockpile.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
If everyone started to panic then we would have a problem, so best to keep calm and carry on is my motto.

D

Deleted member 308541

The guy is also stockpiling antidepressants? Shurely this would get "flagged up" at the surgury & review of what & the frequency of the requests he's putting in would ring bells...
You would have thought so, they pick up on "doctor shopping" through the Medicare number here.

Edit: To many here's,

Last edited by a moderator:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The guy is also stockpiling antidepressants? Shurely this would get "flagged up" at the surgury & review of what & the frequency of the requests he's putting in would ring bells...
There needs to be drug inspectors flagging such people and prosecuting them.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've already made the decision that if insulin comes in short supply, my daughter gets it, I'll go without. Whatever the outcome, she comes first. :)

Reactions: Dodo

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can the UK not buy insulin from outside Europe?

If those countries want to trade with us, maybe? I'm not sure our country has much good to offer anyone any more. What a **** hole!! :(

Post edited by moderator for language

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like she cares about us mere mortals... Seriously.

I'm sure she gets her insulin via prescription just like the rest of us, she may have a vested interest in it but I doubt very much she's involved and relying on her ministers to do the right thing................if only she knew her ministers are plotting to get rid of her...........:rolleyes: