Am I in denial.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well I never, Tonight the good lady made some home made chicken soup for tea. I would say 20 carbs total as she used a stock which only had 0.4g carbs, Chicken of course, carrots, leaks, mushrooms, onion, and some parsnip topped off with a medley of spices. But you cannot have soup without something to dunk in it :problem: so I grabbed some Oat cakes at 4.3g each, now because I got carried away in the heat of the moment :oops: I had eaten 5 of them 25.5g of carbs before I knew it :crazy: and then shock horror :( that is a total of 45.5g of carbs in one go :shock: , I sat for my two hour reading :think: expecting the worst and blow me down I got an 5.5mmol :angel: I'm cured oh lord that nasty Diabetes has gone. :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

MaryJ

another candidate for the non-official term of 'ex-diabetic' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had similar shock low reads after naughtiness.

I saw it as a one off and able to do it cos I had been low carbing in the run up to the big carb intake.

However, I didn't stop trumping :oops: all night lol (TMI?????????? but true) so - wont be bothering again lol

mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Quiet as a church mouse me all night, Not had a single complaint from the wife tonight :wink: . I'm just reading Diabetes for Dummies which just about sums me up, always find a for Dummies book puts the FUN into learning..... Especially on how to deal with that chronic Disease in the best possible way :clap: I reason I'm over the denial. :) just at the end of the anger :evil: , and working up to chronic depression :crazy: when I get a bit of time to get fully in the swing of it :thumbup: , then moving swiftly to the bargaining stage 8) , of course that means trying to get my strips on prescription off witch Doctor :x Also I never knew Elvis Presley had Diabetes, along with Lizy Taylor and Mae West, Come up and see me some time :wink: plus loads of other famous people, why we are in an exclusive club here Folks.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
These meters do my little nugget in, two readings first 7.1mmol? I know that has to be wrong it was 5.1 before my lunch and only had tuna salad, so take second reading 5.8mmol that's 25.4% error if my math is correct??? what gives with these things.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well my Diet is on track lost 11.9kg now in 5 weeks starting at 105kg and BS is a steady average 0f 5.5mmol overall. Target time to goal weight is 8 weeks, nice and steady 2-3kg a week should put me at 70kg Just in time for my Birthday and I'm going to Party like :crazy: :crazy: if I do it :D :D That will put me spot on to my BMI.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
MaryJ said:
Well done Roy

Bet you can't wait for your next blood tests

Mary x
How often do you have them? all I got told was go back and see the Nurse in 3 months, never said anything about fasting. But I think my results will be low, I have not had an Hba1c test only the gtt test at hospital or is that it? and blood test at Doctors

MaryJ

To be honest Roy, Ive been arranging my own blood tests.

The only ones the docs have dictated have been 2nd fasting to confirm diagnosis and 1st HBA1c to give a baseline, she also did cholesterol and kidney function at same time. Then review after 3 months.

Well 3 months was approaching, heard nothing (wasn't expecting to really) so rang and made an appt for the HBA1c - (which doesn't need to be a fasting test) went for appt, no encouragement praise or anything from nurse on weight loss, not interested in changes to diet and 'no - you can't have test strips'.

Didn't bother making an appt for the results just rang the receptionist to be told 'Normal' had to ask her what the number was.

So, now coming up to 6 months, have made another appt off my own bat for bloods, going to ask for the cholesterol and kidney this time as well as HBA1c as I want to know all is well from the low carbing side of things ( sure it will be just want the stats - I do have other kidney/UTI issues so need to watch that bringing BG down isn't causing harm elsewhere)

This time tho - I intend to make an appt with GP to go over the results, so I can make proper comparrisons and show someone what I've actually been up to.

So, my advice is be pro-active in your care and follow-up appts - you only have you to remember. They have everyone else!

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I will make appointment around 2nd week in August and tell them I want full set of blood test and also HBA1c, I really think it's poor show how little support and help is given, especially when we all work so hard to manage it ourselves, not that I am being judgemental, and I don't for one minute suggest these people should not be helped, but the NHS fall over themselves to help if your a drug addict or an Alcoholic.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Have been for my eye test today, everything is all fine, very slight aneurysm on one little vessel in left eye which they said will heal, and right eye was perfect. They said I should not have any problems if I manage to keep BS under control the way I am. so relief there :D :D

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Sure is, that is the one thing that terrifies me; losing my sight, think I could cope with anything bar that. So must keep up the good work and look after myself. Thanks Catza.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Yes back in 12 months, thank you every body, I guess it was caught early enough before any damage has been done.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Funny things happen when you get Diabetes. My weight is dropping due to my diet 26lb in 7 weeks, my fitness level has trebled due to my exercise regime, I have my own treadmill in house, I joined a Gym yesterday with my 15yr old son and we spent the most pleasant afternoon there, 3 hours of using all the equipment, 20 mins of swimming, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi, total abandonment of all the worries and stresses of the real world, I came out and felt like a new man!! I would have never thought this possible 3 months ago prior to my diagnossis :shock: If I am to carry this illness for the rest of my life!! far from killing me, I actually think it has saved my life.
Now I am not saying it's a blessing,,,,, No, because I do get wound up and frustrated at times with the things I think we all do. Why me, this is a real pain, I would love to eat this and that. Yes I would not be human if I never, but it does have it's plus points, being all my efforts and hard work are what keeps it at bay, and me a happier bunny, getting your fitness back and taking control of ones life does work miracles.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I cracked completely last night, It was our wedding Anniversary and we went for a meal, a lovely restaurant with fine casked ale's well what's a guy suppose to do you just can't turn your nose up to a fine brew and I succumbed :shock: 3 pints I demolished in short shrift, :oops: then went on to my meal, the wife wanted the cheese and tomato crispy pizza to start, but it's a for two deal? Had to eat half, :oops: moving onto my main course I ordered the Ribeye no harm there with side order of salad, thought I was doing well on Damage limitation until the sweet menu, looking at it i saw one item which seemed ok Mixed Berry Eton Mess it said berries with fresh double cream, when it did come it had a Meringue pieces in it, but it tasted so good i just had to eat the lot :oops: So failed completely with the low carb diet there, thank god I don't have to endure that every week :wink: :wink: And now the pub which closed down at the end of my road is re-opening as an Indian restaurant, ekk I'm sunk now, I love Indian food, this is gonna get messy :mrgreen:

MaryJ

Hi Roy

Happy anniversary to you and your lovely Mrs

How did you feel after it? did your body react?

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
MaryJ said:
Hi Roy

Happy anniversary to you and your lovely Mrs

How did you feel after it? did your body react?

Mary x
No It never had any adverse effects and my BG only raised a little, although I would imagine the alcohol played some part in that, But I have been on Holiday last week and not doing my usual routine and BG has been up and down along with my BP although not enough to give me any concern it has on occasion gone up to around 6.8mmol which is higher than normal for me, that in part being my fault as funfairs, young lads, and funfair food do not go hand in hand with DB, and as I am still a novice at this, I did shove a few chips on a tuna sandwich on the odd occasion, and had an Ice cream. It shows that vigilance and routine play a big part in control for me, and it can be real hard to resist that wonderful smell, when they are all sat with the Devils food, and you are looking at a chunk of cheese and salami sausage. Still it is only once in a while and nothing like the amount I once used to eat. And thank you for wishing us well MaryJ.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well it's been about 6 months now since I was first told I had Type 2 Diabetes, some days at times have been a real pain in the butt, but most days have been easy to cope with and I have found I have adjusted and accepted what at first was unbelievable to accept. That this will not go away, it was tricky at first, but then through all my testing and eating the overwhelming evidence became apparent and conclusive to me.
The use of testing is a must if one wants to get to grips with Type 2, the mistakes and sometimes will-full eating of too many carbs clearly showed to me what had to be achieved by me, through what I ate. I have found that I cannot take my eye of the ball not now, not ever, if I want to try and avoid the complications that are eager to ravage my body. I have over this weekend purposely stopped my BG testing and filling out my log.
The reason now being that I have now grasped what will and will not send my BG skyward, that is not to say I will not test any more, because I am, I have just tested now after 3 days not testing as a random check, and all is well in my smaller (now) and fitter body, the smaller is because of cutting out all the rubbish I used to eat now replaced by good natural low carbohydrate alternatives, food which now I have come to really enjoy, I eat until full and never go hungry, no harm there. Fitter because I now train and exercise on a regular basis something I often thought about, but never quite got too the Gym before Diabetes. Now I make the time, in my book now I reason it is as important as my diet. I have to admit not testing can be as worrying as starting to test because my little pouch has been my constant companion always by my side to reassure me, I was doing things right.
I suppose I now transgress to the next stage, I have all my food logs and a reasonable good knowledge of the disease and what I need to keep an eye on, so I'm calling this stage good running and maintenance, I will check my BG if I am feeling under the weather, or if I try out new food, and also probably once a week, maybe more (I did say it was hard to stop) I continue to find this forum and its members a solid tree of knowledge and the posts and advice a source of inspiration and kindness even though there are some great spats sometimes, makes life more colourful if you ask me. End of 6 month report, now onwards and forwards folks. Thanks to you all.