Am I in denial.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
RoyG said:
Question, if my Hba1c was 11.1 i assume that was in mmol/L so would that put me at 3.16%, and why does my meter read 4.6mmol 2 hours after Lunch and after eating nothing after that, before Dinner it jumps to 6mmol where has the glucose come from???? this blood sugar thing is a strange science.

It's probably coming from your Liver Roy, as that organ plays a big part in diabetes. Yep, blood sugars are a strange science :?

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I have just rang Accu-Check up regarding the other meter the MIL gave me because It will not move from code error, not a very helpful American chap I must say, but he kept telling me I had to know my range for blood testing and must be told that by GP he also said if DSN has told me not to test my BS I should not be testing, what is all that about.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Been to have my feet checked today and he said I have no problems all is fine, I wish I was Ok, took day off work today to go, and have felt rubbish all day tiered and washed out?? with readings all over the shop 5.8 before my breakfast then 5.9 after 2 boiled eggs slice of bergan, then a 7 at lunch cup of soup 11 carbs and baby bell cheese to come back down 2hrs to 6.3, the other day 2 hrs after my tea it hit a 9 I only had 2 pork steaks 3 baby new boiled potatoes and cabbage with cheese source. feel like saying get stuffed and going Chinese for big meal because this Diabetes seems to have a bloody mind of it's own, AAAAArhhhhh.

MaryJ

Sod the Chinese Roy, apart from the 9 you have excellent readings,

so, is 3 baby pots out or was there flour in the cheese sauce?

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
No the wife made it with cream bit of milk and stilton cheese cracked garlic and chilli for a bit of bite, Yes only small potatoes had them 2 days before never made my BS jump like that the reading before the spuds was 5.9 then 2hrs 9 then at bed 5hrs down to 5.3 do you think it was a wrong reading??

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this another meter you are using?

If not, it could be the old test strips going wrong.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
It's the same meter, Contour all the same test strips in put, I have dropped them on a couple of occasions all over the chair would that affect them. they are 2 months out of date but seem to be giving consistent readings apart from that one. It's really spoiled my graph not a happy puppy about that, big spike in it :( :( :(

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Not a sniff since my two glasses of Red last Thursday with my meal out. They all seem regular readings bar one?

Date T carbs,g
27 May 2012 42.3 mmol/L 7 6.2 6.2 5.1 4.6 6.4 4.6 5.7
28 May 2012 61.81 mmol/L 5.5 5.5 5.4 5.2 4.4 6 5.2 5.1
29 May 2012 53.73 mmol/L 4.7 4.7 5.1 4.7 5.9 5.9 9.7 5.3
30 May 2012 50.34 mmol/L 4.4 4.4 4.8 4.6 5.2 5.1 5.3 5.2
31 May 2012 42.74 mmol/L 5.8 5.8 5.8 7.1 6.4 6.4 6.3

MaryJ

Also any exercise added? If no, have the same meal and measure again, this seems an anomoly reading, Meter error, blood taking error(ie site contaminated)?????

I've had similar when basa fish and salad gave me an 8.8 for no reason, however repeated the same routine the week after got 6.5 so I'm putting it down to a random high read as the rest of my reads make more sense

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Yes Mary I did hit the treadmill after meal for a 2 mile 30 min stint, but I do that every night, I will chalk it up to the meter :D I will leave it on chart anyway and try the same meal again as you say see what outcome is. Still want my Chinese though I will have shish Kebab for my dinner tomorrow as a consolation :thumbup:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I am not having one now, get my Kebab tomorrow just with salad though and no pita bread. No it's another Baby bell cheese for me tonight.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I have decided to test now only 3 times a day, 2 hrs after my meals, do you need to test before your meal or can i just use the +2hr reading for pre meal number.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
MaryJ said:
Hi Roy

Welcome to the forum.

You get diagnosed as diabetic if you have 2 fasting blood tests over 7. Your tests are in the ball park, possibly more pre-diabetic but your GTT of 11 suggests diabetic.

My advice is to make changes to your diet and live as a diabetic. Get your hands on a meter and test away. If you get a reading >8.5 (or 7.8 if you prefer to aim lower as some members do) either eliminate or reduce the carb in that meal.

If you are consistently getting <7.8 after your meals I would challenge the diagnosis. To be honest tho' I don't think you will.

Keep a food and BG reading diary for yourself and for the doc if needbe.

you will feel knocked for 6 for a while, especially with your MIL having diabetic complications but you are able, with changes to delay or avoid these kind of things.

Take your time, read and ask questions. Hopefully, in time you will see this as a positive time in your life

Mary x
I response to the above and consistently getting readings of 7.8 the highest I have been 2 hrs after eating is 6,7 the average being 5.4 would that be because of my low carb diet or looking at it, would I be more pre diabetic than full type 2, they did say I was borderline, though in all honesty I think the outcome is the same either way it is what it is!! I am a marbles throw away from type 2 if nothing else and it wont go away like a cold.

MaryJ

Hi Roy

Like you say, type 2 or pre-diabetic the decisions are the same, make changes or suffer the consequences down the line.

You are getting great readings with what you are currently eating, it's your choice as to whether you keep as you are or experiment a little and see if you can handle more carbs.

For me, if I'm satisfied with my new eating habits, still losing weight and wanting to lose it, I'd be leaving it alone but it is a personal decision.

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Yes Mary your right, Clutching at straws ehh who am I trying to Kid? me I guess, for what? Don't Know. Anyways back to the battle! let the hounds of Low carbs wreck havoc on High BS. I am doing some experimenting with different Foods, but tend to keep dishes low, I can be a Devil when I have got shut of the weight and be more adventurous, but them old pounds took years to shove on, and they are being persistent in staying on?

MaryJ

My thoughts exactly Roy.

I've lost 2 and a bit stone since Dec and another 2 stone will put me <25 BMI, that's when I plan to re-evalutate how my body now copes with carbs - not expecting, nor want to eat how I used to but it will be interesting to see how my insulin resistance has improved, if it has , with a decent weight loss.

If it hasn't, no biggie will just choose higher calorific proteins to maintain weight.

Weight maintainence - In the words of ABBA " I have a dream - a fantasy " :)

Mary x