Am I in denial.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
RoyG said:
it says 2012 02 on tub but she can get more on her prescription as she is type 1, she gave me a Accu-check advantage aswell with loads of strips and lancets but the strip date is 2007 - 2008 will they be no use now then?

The sensible answer is that you shouldn't use out of date strips.

The pragmatic answer is change the date on the meter to 2006 and see if the results seem sensible*

*It's probably alright for you as a T2 to do this. It would be pretty stupid for a T1 to calculate insulin dosage using out of date strips.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I wouldnt use out of date strips as i wouldnt trust the answer, so it would be a waste of time.

Especially as i think you said this was your first meter and you will be using it to find out how different foods affect your sugar levels?

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
So the meter reads the date from the strip, what is date sensitive on the strip? is it the reagents coating them. just asking? So my 4.4 reading could be way out then, darb nab it !!!! I was just heading for the biscuit tin as well. I have just had that Stilton Chicken and broccoli pie man that was delicious got loads left too no one here likes Stilton cheese followed by the Ice cream recipe another great one. I will say one thing the food is miles better than when I first done the Atkins diet a few years ago. Thanks to the recipes on here folks :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
RoyG said:
So the meter reads the date from the strip, what is date sensitive on the strip? is it the reagents coating them. just asking? So my 4.4 reading could be way out then, darb nab it !!!! I was just heading for the biscuit tin as well. I have just had that Stilton Chicken and broccoli pie man that was delicious got loads left too no one here likes Stilton cheese followed by the Ice cream recipe another great one. I will say one thing the food is miles better than when I first done the Atkins diet a few years ago. Thanks to the recipes on here folks :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's possible, although it could just be a cynical marketing ploy by the strip manufacturers to prevent people stockpiling strips.

If it were a few months out of date then I'd seriously doubt that there would be a problem (engineering factors of safety and all that), but 5 years out of date might be pushing it a bit.

But anyway the rules are these:
1) If it's unusually low it counts
2) If it's unsusually hight it's down to the strips

Therefore congratulations on your 4.4!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some meters, certainly some from Accu chek won't actually accept expired strips (though I remember a long post once on how to beat the system.
You could get hold of some control solution to check that they are at least in the right ball park (test solutions have wide ranges). You could also do some checks side by side with recent strips, though again even with strips from the same pot and blood from the same finger you can get results that are different.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
borofergie said:
RoyG said:

It's possible, although it could just be a cynical marketing ploy by the strip manufacturers to prevent people stockpiling strips.

If it were a few months out of date then I'd seriously doubt that there would be a problem (engineering factors of safety and all that), but 5 years out of date might be pushing it a bit.

But anyway the rules are these:
1) If it's unusually low it counts
2) If it's unsusually hight it's down to the strips

Therefore congratulations on your 4.4!

I will test again 2 hours after my Dinner that is correct I think, see what reading is then.

Defren

It's always nice to see people enjoying the recipe's we put up, and to see they are kind to the old BG. Glad you enjoyed the cheeseburger pie and meringues. :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
RoyG said:

I will pass your compliments onto it's creator. She says it freezes well if that's a help. If you did the same ice cream recipe we tried then that was great stuff.

Defren

xyzzy said:
RoyG said:

I will pass your compliments onto it's creator. She says it freezes well if that's a help. If you did the same ice cream recipe we tried then that was great stuff.

It freezes very well. I have some of Mrs xyzzy's excellent chicken, broccoli and stilton pie in my freezer now, made last Saturday.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Yes Xyzzy it was your good lady's recipe do please pass my compliments to her :clap: a wonderful connoisseur of the Low carb Cuisine :D and it is going in freezer along side my cheese burger pie, for my lunch through the week.
I have just done second blood reading with carb intake today at 47g first reading pre dinner 4.4mmol two hours after dinner 5.7mmol so the meter seems fine to me, what is the Consensus of you folks???

Defren

Those figures look pretty good to me Roy - well done!!

The cheeseburger pie also freezes very well, I have some of that in mine too. :lol:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Ill show that DSN what neolithic man's diet can do for Diabetes, she will fall off her chair, I am charting all diet and carb intake along with blood readings now on an excel spread sheet I knocked up, you cannot argue with graphs and figures. We will eat well next week Defren no mistake. :lol: :lol:

Defren

RoyG said:
Ill show that DSN what neolithic man's diet can do for Diabetes, she will fall off her chair, I am charting all diet and carb intake along with blood readings now on an excel spread sheet I knocked up, you cannot argue with graphs and figures. We will eat well next week Defren no mistake. :lol: :lol:

Sadly my eating well will have to wait for another three weeks. Tomorrow is the end of week 5 of the Newcastle diet for me. I have added one solid meal this week, but I have to make it mainly veg or salad, so all my yummy things will have to remain in the freezer until I am finished the ND.

I log all my BG's, weight, carbs, waist size, HbA1c's, blood pressure, and I keep a very detailed food diary. Obsessive, me? Nooooo chance :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
RoyG said:
Yes Xyzzy it was your good lady's recipe do please pass my compliments to her :clap: a wonderful connoisseur of the Low carb Cuisine :D and it is going in freezer along side my cheese burger pie, for my lunch through the week.
I have just done second blood reading with carb intake today at 47g first reading pre dinner 4.4mmol two hours after dinner 5.7mmol so the meter seems fine to me, what is the Consensus of you folks???

Mate you're beating my BG's at the minute so they sound good to me :thumbup:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well there you go, if I was looking for a pin to burst my little smug bubble. The Lancet played the part admirably this morning, waking BG of 7mmol, when normal range would be 4 to 5.5mmol. POP BANG Pffffffffft. To infinity and beyond DB Rangers, I think a lite snack before counting sheep time is order of the day.

Defren

RoyG said:
Well there you go, if I was looking for a pin to burst my little smug bubble. The Lancet played the part admirably this morning, waking BG of 7mmol, when normal range would be 4 to 5.5mmol. POP BANG Pffffffffft. To infinity and beyond DB Rangers, I think a lite snack before counting sheep time is order of the day.

Before I started the ND I would sometimes have a slice of Burgen bread with some peanut butter about an hour before bed, seemed to help with DP. I don't tolerate carbs well so didn't do it every day, but it really did seem to help.

tree-peony

I seem to be the other way at the moment. I try not to have anything at all after 9pm, and even then it'll be just a bit of cucumber or celery. Anything else - even a bit of cheese - gives me higher levels in the morning :(

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My levels are all over the place at the moment. Nothing really bad but averaging around 1 higher for no reason i can tell. DP figures have risen too. 2 hour breakfast reading is the worst gone really silly. Oh well just one of those things. Have eased off on testing to see if that helps.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Mine seem pretty good xyzzy, average 5.5 that snack I had before going to bed seems to have lowered morning readings to 5.5 this morning before breakfast, two hrs after breakfast down to 5.4, so should be able to get it lower if I continue my regime, It's hard going and exercise is my key I think. I had reading of a 6.4 before dinner then done 30min intensive exercise 2 hrs after it dropped to 4.6. but I don't need to tell you how unpredictable this thing can be it could change on a dime i'm sure. Don't think the heat is helping either??

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Question, if my Hba1c was 11.1 i assume that was in mmol/L so would that put me at 3.16%, and why does my meter read 4.6mmol 2 hours after Lunch and after eating nothing after that, before Dinner it jumps to 6mmol where has the glucose come from???? this blood sugar thing is a strange science.