Am I just eating too little?

P

paltry

Hi all,

First, I've been locked out of my account so all my other LCHF posts are in the ether however I was an active forum member and successful LC-er losing 3 stones in about a year. Eventually though I went astray for various health related reasons and regained most of the weight.

I started again about 4 weeks ago but have not reached the lovely energy stage. Instead I find I can walk the dog for about an hour but then feel quite suddenly breathless, wobbly, sweaty and sick. It has happened twice now and both times I was going uphill, but had been fine on previous hills on the walk.

I am on a ketogenic diet and have had urinary ketones for 2 weeks or so. I'm drinking coffee with butter and coconut oil once or twice a day and usually have a good few tablespoons of 'no added salt or sugar' peanut butter but I confess I'm a bit erratic otherwise. Sometimes I manage lunch and or dinner both being primarily fat and protein based, but I don't always eat both meals. I am too tired to cook!

Will I feel better if I just eat more? Is it possible my carb intake is too low as I probably usually have 0 to 20 each day? I'd really value some advice as although I don't feel as bad as I did in the first 2 weeks I am finding it difficult to exercise my dog (she needs about 2 hours daily).

Tania

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think you could be going through the dreaded keto flu? Are you eating enough fat?
Also do you supplement with some extra salt?
I doubt its your carb intake being too low more likely one or more of the others..
Just some thoughts from me.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe you do get too low anyway... for security do measure your blood glucose even though you think you are in ketosis..the feeling you tell about sounds like what many people do describe when they get too low blood glucose..

maybe you could also be in a bad shape, and therefore feel bad when going up hill... if you keep moving everyday you´ll get back to being very fit soon.. if that is the problem...only you know that

Last edited:

jd58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low fat and carbs
Eat only real food kick out milk and increase fat intake eat plenty of meat and or oily fish and only consume leafy veg like spinach, Brocholi, cauliflower, kale, mushrooms, onion , courgette, double or source cream, high fat yoghurt bug in small amounts with either raspberries or blueberries cook in butter or coconut oil only . Exercise for 30 mins per day eg walk, cycle, swim, dance keep off metformin but seek medical advice first

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're not hungry then I would say you're probably eating enough.
As BB said adding some extra salt helps. I also don't think it's too low carb. Probably just an adjustment phase. Do up your sodium though.
You could be going low too. You'd obviously need to test.
How about some avocado at a meal that needs no cooking but full of great healthy fats?
Exercise can make you feel that way too. Do you eat something when you get home and feel better? I use daily to need a small snack like a few raw veg and mayo dip.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

First, I've been locked out of my account so all my other LCHF posts are in the ether however I was an active forum member and successful LC-er losing 3 stones in about a year. Eventually though I went astray for various health related reasons and regained most of the weight.

I started again about 4 weeks ago but have not reached the lovely energy stage. Instead I find I can walk the dog for about an hour but then feel quite suddenly breathless, wobbly, sweaty and sick. It has happened twice now and both times I was going uphill, but had been fine on previous hills on the walk.

I am on a ketogenic diet and have had urinary ketones for 2 weeks or so. I'm drinking coffee with butter and coconut oil once or twice a day and usually have a good few tablespoons of 'no added salt or sugar' peanut butter but I confess I'm a bit erratic otherwise. Sometimes I manage lunch and or dinner both being primarily fat and protein based, but I don't always eat both meals. I am too tired to cook!

Will I feel better if I just eat more? Is it possible my carb intake is too low as I probably usually have 0 to 20 each day? I'd really value some advice as although I don't feel as bad as I did in the first 2 weeks I am finding it difficult to exercise my dog (she needs about 2 hours daily).

Tania

Hi,

I kinda have a different take on this post.. I won't beat around the bush. I champion LCHF. & there are a few "nay sayers" about...

So? Cutting to the chase. (Please don't mind me asking.) could you be depressed?? Suffering anxiety??

I'm looking at the the "dog walking thing" plus the meal cooking thing.....?

Sorry if I do "bark up the wrong tree". But there is no shame in a little counselling & coming back stronger! :)
In my experience... (Anecdotal.) I've seen people similar...

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't live on 20 gm of carbs per day - I need 60. more if I am exercising regularly.
I tried doing the 20 gm per day Induction level - lasted 3 days and lost half a stone. I could not get up stairs without going wobbly. I suspect that my metabolism is a bit unusual, but only in the degree of reaction, as the symptoms are described in Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, and the cure is to eat a few more carbs until they go away.

P

paltry

Do you think you could be going through the dreaded keto flu? Are you eating enough fat?
Also do you supplement with some extra salt?
I doubt its your carb intake being too low more likely one or more of the others..
Just some thoughts from me.

Hello bulkbiker. Thanks for the ideas. I do think I might be lacking some salt, but I went through carb flu earlier and it was Hell! This is a weak relative by comparison. But mental note... more salt.

Reactions: Freema
P

paltry

maybe you do get too low anyway... for security do measure your blood glucose even though you think you are in ketosis..the feeling you tell about sounds like what many people do describe when they get too low blood glucose..

maybe you could also be in a bad shape, and therefore feel bad when going up hill... if you keep moving everyday you´ll get back to being very fit soon.. if that is the problem...only you know that

Hello Freema. That's a good point about dropping too low. I'll check if my glucose sticks are in date! As for moving - I have a large and very, very energetic puppy so for about 3 to 4 months now I have been walking 1 to 2 hours a day with her but only recently had these wobbly spells. But since dropping my carbs I have noticed being breathless going up stairs too. Hmm.

Reactions: Freema
P

paltry

Eat only real food kick out milk and increase fat intake eat plenty of meat and or oily fish and only consume leafy veg like spinach, Brocholi, cauliflower, kale, mushrooms, onion , courgette, double or source cream, high fat yoghurt bug in small amounts with either raspberries or blueberries cook in butter or coconut oil only . Exercise for 30 mins per day eg walk, cycle, swim, dance keep off metformin but seek medical advice first

Thanks for all the ideas but you have just about described my life there, except I also eat eggs and some nuts.

P

paltry

If you're not hungry then I would say you're probably eating enough.
As BB said adding some extra salt helps. I also don't think it's too low carb. Probably just an adjustment phase. Do up your sodium though.
You could be going low too. You'd obviously need to test.
How about some avocado at a meal that needs no cooking but full of great healthy fats?
Exercise can make you feel that way too. Do you eat something when you get home and feel better? I use daily to need a small snack like a few raw veg and mayo dip.

Thank you Kristin. I keep forgetting I have an avocado in my fridge! I did follow up yesterday's walk with some salted almonds but I'm not sure if I gradually felt better because or despite them. I'll experiment.

P

paltry

Hi,

I kinda have a different take on this post.. I won't beat around the bush. I champion LCHF. & there are a few "nay sayers" about...

So? Cutting to the chase. (Please don't mind me asking.) could you be depressed?? Suffering anxiety??

I'm looking at the the "dog walking thing" plus the meal cooking thing.....?

Sorry if I do "bark up the wrong tree". But there is no shame in a little counselling & coming back stronger! :)
In my experience... (Anecdotal.) I've seen people similar...

Thank you Jaylee. I have indeed been struggling emotionally but that started before all this. I don't think these recent problems are related, but come to think of it they aren't helping! Maybe there is a bit of a cycle going on. Good point!

P

paltry

I can't live on 20 gm of carbs per day - I need 60. more if I am exercising regularly.
I tried doing the 20 gm per day Induction level - lasted 3 days and lost half a stone. I could not get up stairs without going wobbly. I suspect that my metabolism is a bit unusual, but only in the degree of reaction, as the symptoms are described in Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, and the cure is to eat a few more carbs until they go away.

Hello Resurgam. That was what I wondered about but I don't want to increase the carbs and possibly undo my struggle into ketosis without being sure. However, knowing you have found it necessary means I might well need to do it if all else fails.

Are you in ketosis?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am ridiculously repetitive with my silly avocado but I spent 50 years always watching the clock waiting to eat until that magical fruit walked into my life. It completely satisfies me and gives me lasting steady energy all day. I do still weigh it as I eat 2 oz at each meal. I weigh it because I eat one a day and don't want to be short at dinner. Haha. I also love it if it's extra big and I can have. As scoop as a snack. It might make a good bf for you and add some sea salt. It will give you energy and sodium for walking your puppy. It will probably help you from dipping low but not raise your bs. That's the beauty of it too. It keeps me from dropping and keeps any rise low and slow. I have 11 ripe ones in my fridge!!! I hoard avocados!!! Lol

Before upping carbs, give the sodium and avocado a chance?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Freema. That's a good point about dropping too low. I'll check if my glucose sticks are in date! As for moving - I have a large and very, very energetic puppy so for about 3 to 4 months now I have been walking 1 to 2 hours a day with her but only recently had these wobbly spells. But since dropping my carbs I have noticed being breathless going up stairs too. Hmm.

Glucose sticks?? Are these for checking urine or blood?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If one is in lack of iron one gets more easily breathless because it is the iron in the red blood cells that transport oxygen around in ones body to where it is needed so have your iron level measured too please

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Resurgam. That was what I wondered about but I don't want to increase the carbs and possibly undo my struggle into ketosis without being sure. However, knowing you have found it necessary means I might well need to do it if all else fails.

Are you in ketosis?
Like most people I am in ketosis every day - it is a rather misunderstood term. I tend to be in ketosis for longer than most as I lose weight easily - which after struggling to lose any weight at all on high carb did come as quite a surprise.
Eating a proper diet which keeps you working well can seem like juggling several balls - but once you know what is right for you things tend to become clear - I know I can't cope with legumes and starchy vegetables, sweet fruits cause my BG to go up and stay up - and the penny just dropped that I can't eat seedless grapes - I was not getting a lot of reaction to seeded grapes, but seedless - wow. I suspect it is the seeds, which I chew up and it releases something which helps cope with the fructose. Grape seed extract has a thread of its own.
There is, however, no magic to eating low carb - increase a little of what you can eat and the negative symptoms reduce, stop eating things which have a strong reaction for you and you see and feel good things happening - it can seem like magic, but it is just understanding the quantity and quality of foods you need.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I am ridiculously repetitive with my silly avocado but I spent 50 years always watching the clock waiting to eat until that magical fruit walked into my life. It completely satisfies me and gives me lasting steady energy all day. I do still weigh it as I eat 2 oz at each meal. I weigh it because I eat one a day and don't want to be short at dinner. Haha. I also love it if it's extra big and I can have. As scoop as a snack. It might make a good bf for you and add some sea salt. It will give you energy and sodium for walking your puppy. It will probably help you from dipping low but not raise your bs. That's the beauty of it too. It keeps me from dropping and keeps any rise low and slow. I have 11 ripe ones in my fridge!!! I hoard avocados!!! Lol

Before upping carbs, give the sodium and avocado a chance?
I sometimes eat 2 :guilty:

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Lol. I've been known to bust a second one open as well !! I can't get nough of them!! I would have thought I'd be sick of them by now but I miss it if I don't have it at every meal. And so so good for you.
Nom nom