Am I on the right path??

richardhurst

I was diagnosed about a year ago with type 2 after a borderline reading, anyway I was put on metformin and it didn't really sink in properly and have been guilty of just eating as normal and taking the tablets. On my reviews with the nurse she has always been happy with my readings, my last hbac1fasting test in January was given as 48 and over the last few weeks I have started to make a real conscious effort to cut down on what I eat and to lose weight. I just checked my Accu-chek meter and the average before meals for the past 30 days is 6.2mmol/L and after meals its 7.5 mol/L, its even lower over 14 days 6.0 mol/L and 7.3 mol/L where I've been trying hard to diet.

Am I on the right path, I've even had some before meal readings in the 4's but that was after only having i slice of brown toast and a banana for breakfast and then a banana at lunch time. I'm just not sure when looking at food packaging the target range of sugar should be, everything seems to contain sugar. Lol

I really want to get on top of this so losing weight is going to be a key factor so I know no snacking and eating more veg etc but I wondered if there was a sugar content range on packaging that was acceptable?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that bread and bananas would put my blood glucose levels up so far they would be stratospheric. I keep my numbers normal by eating low carb, fresh and unprocessed foods.
Sugar content is not really important for most Type 2s, it is the carbs which are digested to raise blood glucose.
Exercise and losing weight can help keep you healthy, but to control blood glucose, carbs are the key.

Reactions: barriebanana

richardhurst

What do people eat for breakfast then as that would help me. I was having 2 slices of toast in the mornings with marmite but I have cut that to one slice and the banana. I'm more than happy to try something different

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocado.

Or hard boiled egg and avocado

Or crustless veggie quiche ( feeezes well)

Veggie omelette.

Smoked salmon Or with egg or avacado.

Bf doesn't need to be bf food.

richardhurst

Thanks everyone for the ideas. As I leave the house at 6.15 every morning I need to work out what's going to work. We have a cafe at work that does boiled eggs and bacon in the mornings but I don't want to be spending £5 everyday in there. I like the idea of a crust less veggie quiche or natural yoghurt. Are muller ones with the fruit corner ok or do I need to stay clear of those?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the ideas. As I leave the house at 6.15 every morning I need to work out what's going to work. We have a cafe at work that does boiled eggs and bacon in the mornings but I don't want to be spending £5 everyday in there. I like the idea of a crust less veggie quiche or natural yoghurt. Are muller ones with the fruit corner ok or do I need to stay clear of those?
Full of sugar, I'm afraid - You could try cooking bacon chopped into strips to keep in the fridge, then just drop a handful into a small pan - I got a tiny wok, heat for half a minute then break some eggs in on top and stir until the eggs are ten seconds from being done, carry to a dish, give another stir, tip out and eat. Cooked sliced sausages work too, so do mushrooms or sweet pepper. Having cooked and peeled boiled eggs in the fridge is a god idea, prepared salad is always good - kippers is something I like from time to time.
I find that the protein rolls from lidl are good - they are quite breadlike and filling too, and 29 pence each - they have even been on offer at four for one pound.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can bake eggs in a muffin pan and add veggies, cheese, bacon, sausage. Bake and freeze. We always have a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the frigdge. I like them mixed with mayo celery and onion. You could make a batch to last a few days and carry in an insulated cooler.
I batch cook a lot of my proteins and freeze in serving sized baggies. Pop one out and defrost in water or on your way to work. I don't like to reheat as it over cooks things but I have no problem eating cold protein. In fact I prefer it.

Many of us pre prepare food at home to take along rather than trying to find suitable options elsewhere.

Deli meat and cheese wraps. Can also be wrapped in a large piece of lettuce as a bread substitute with low carb condiments or additional veg like tomato.

If you like nut butters eat it with a spoon. A small handful of nuts is a great portable snack.

Canned tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey, egg are all great mixed with mayo with or without the lettuce wrap.

It just takes time to find the foods you like that agree with your meter and finding a routine.

Cooking proteins or even meals with veg in quantities and freezing takes loads of though and work out of the way.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You will be much better off making something low carb at home. It will be cheaper and healthier.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
smoked mackerel is a good option as I like it cold and can eat to from the pack provided I have something to wipe my hands with. So are olives.

If you have access to microwave you can cook scrambled egg in a mug.

Greek yoghurt is good, add some crushed nets if you wish.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Greek yogurt with flax seeds and a strawberry, a single slice of toast if I am off for a longer cycle to work.
There is a time and a place for bananas, for me breakfast is not one of these times.

lindisfel

Expert
What do people eat for breakfast then as that would help me. I was having 2 slices of toast in the mornings with marmite but I have cut that to one slice and the banana. I'm more than happy to try something different
I normally have two fried eggs or an egg omelette fried lightly in a lot of extra virgin olive oil soaked up with flaked almonds. Because of the oil I can then manage some jumbo porridge done with water and soya milk. I don't need much lunch after my breakfast. If I had the porridge first it would spike me, but having it second I don't go above 7. regards Derek

Reactions: Keesha

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can bake eggs in a muffin pan and add veggies, cheese, bacon, sausage. Bake and freeze. We always have a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the frigdge. I like them mixed with mayo celery and onion. You could make a batch to last a few days and carry in an insulated cooler.
I batch cook a lot of my proteins and freeze in serving sized baggies. Pop one out and defrost in water or on your way to work. I don't like to reheat as it over cooks things but I have no problem eating cold protein. In fact I prefer it.

Many of us pre prepare food at home to take along rather than trying to find suitable options elsewhere.

Deli meat and cheese wraps. Can also be wrapped in a large piece of lettuce as a bread substitute with low carb condiments or additional veg like tomato.

If you like nut butters eat it with a spoon. A small handful of nuts is a great portable snack.

Canned tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey, egg are all great mixed with mayo with or without the lettuce wrap.

It just takes time to find the foods you like that agree with your meter and finding a routine.

Cooking proteins or even meals with veg in quantities and freezing takes loads of though and work out of the way.

May I ask how long can one keep boiled eggs in fridge? Thanks in advance.

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I mix a few oats with Greek yogurt, flax seeds milk a few blueberries or a few raspberries. Put that in a sealed pot with a cool pack on the outside. Good for eating on the early morning train.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask how long can one keep boiled eggs in fridge? Thanks in advance.
We boil a dozen and have never tossed one. My hubby eats one a day and I eat two or three a week. Just make sure the yolk is fully cooked.

We start to boil them. When the water starts boiling we set a timer for 7-8 min depending on size. Then refrigerate.
We were buying all large but recently I'm going to a farm and they're all different sizes. Unbelievable huge orange yolk.

My brother used to have chickens for eggs and they last a LONG time.

Reactions: Keesha

richardhurst

**Update**
I've been reading your suggestions and trying my best to stick to a low carb diet. In the mornings I have been having some Alpro natural yoghurt before leaving the house around 6.30am and then a coffee at work around 8am. When I test my blood at midday it generally is around 5.5-5.8 region. Lunch I've been having some boiled egg, maybe some ham and cheese. No bread. And then in the evenings just a normal meal but with veg instead of any potatoes or chips. After meal readings are generally around 6.5-7.0 approx 1.5hrs after eating. Definitely feel the change when my blood is in the 5's. Feel a slight headache feeling so I know my body knows its sugar levels are lower than normal but I suppose I will get used to this. feel like I'm losing weight as well which is obviously a bonus