1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Am I type 1 or type 2?!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jamie1991Stables, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Jamie1991Stables

Jamie1991Stables · Member

Hi,

I was hoping someone could offer any insight into what type of diabetic they think I may be...

I was diagnosed as a type 1 almost 3 years ago. I had an HbA1c of 83 and the typical symptoms (frequent thirst, urination and blurry vision), I did however have pneumonia at the time of diagnosis.

After being put on both fast acting and slow releasing insulin (lantus and novorapid), I began having regular hypo’s and my HbA1c actually came down to 32.

This baffled the doctor’s who then took me off of insulin completely and I was on no medication whatsoever until earlier this year when my levels began to rise. My most recent HbA1c came back at 49 and I suspect it’s risen again. They then changed their diagnosis and said I am not type 1 as a type 1 would still require a background insulin and I have had none now for two years. I got checked for MODY which came back negative, but I also don’t fit the stereotypical criteria for type 2 as I’m in my mid-20’s and not overweight and I exercise. Recently my levels have been rising again and I’m currently taking 4 x 500mg of slow releasing metformin. But the doctors cannot say I’m type 1 or type 2 because the GAD test comes back negative and there’s no sign of type 1 in the tests they run at this moment. But they say I could be in the honeymoon phase.

Sorry to bore everyone with this but the stress of not knowing surely raises my levels now. It’s been 3 years and I’m still none the wiser!

I was just hoping if anyone had experienced something similar or knew of anyone who had and also wanted to hear your opinions

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

The diagnosis of T1 versus T2 can be quite difficult. If the doc hasn't done a C-peptide test I would ask for that as it will show what your own insulin production level is. The GAD test is not always a good indicator as there are other causes of beta cell damage including viruses. You could well be in a honeymoon phase; mine lasted a good few years. I'm still listed as T2 although obviously a LADA and on insulin and recently struggling a bit as my own insulin has continued to go down. I didn't start insulin until too late (the GP refused it) so went thru the complete set of tablets and when they failed I was offered insulin. I would assume a honeymoon period at the moment and see how you go. The actual T1 v T2 diagnosis doesn't matter too much but the right medication does.

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook