Am I type 1 or type 2?!

Hi,

I was hoping someone could offer any insight into what type of diabetic they think I may be...

I was diagnosed as a type 1 almost 3 years ago. I had an HbA1c of 83 and the typical symptoms (frequent thirst, urination and blurry vision), I did however have pneumonia at the time of diagnosis.

After being put on both fast acting and slow releasing insulin (lantus and novorapid), I began having regular hypo’s and my HbA1c actually came down to 32.

This baffled the doctor’s who then took me off of insulin completely and I was on no medication whatsoever until earlier this year when my levels began to rise. My most recent HbA1c came back at 49 and I suspect it’s risen again. They then changed their diagnosis and said I am not type 1 as a type 1 would still require a background insulin and I have had none now for two years. I got checked for MODY which came back negative, but I also don’t fit the stereotypical criteria for type 2 as I’m in my mid-20’s and not overweight and I exercise. Recently my levels have been rising again and I’m currently taking 4 x 500mg of slow releasing metformin. But the doctors cannot say I’m type 1 or type 2 because the GAD test comes back negative and there’s no sign of type 1 in the tests they run at this moment. But they say I could be in the honeymoon phase.

Sorry to bore everyone with this but the stress of not knowing surely raises my levels now. It’s been 3 years and I’m still none the wiser!

I was just hoping if anyone had experienced something similar or knew of anyone who had and also wanted to hear your opinions

Reactions: sudsandsoda

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The diagnosis of T1 versus T2 can be quite difficult. If the doc hasn't done a C-peptide test I would ask for that as it will show what your own insulin production level is. The GAD test is not always a good indicator as there are other causes of beta cell damage including viruses. You could well be in a honeymoon phase; mine lasted a good few years. I'm still listed as T2 although obviously a LADA and on insulin and recently struggling a bit as my own insulin has continued to go down. I didn't start insulin until too late (the GP refused it) so went thru the complete set of tablets and when they failed I was offered insulin. I would assume a honeymoon period at the moment and see how you go. The actual T1 v T2 diagnosis doesn't matter too much but the right medication does.