• Start Date

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avo's have gone up in price again, they are now $3.50 each, or a pack of three for a bit under $7.00.

A mix of Australian and NZ ones, should be ready to go by Sunday.

4zDAfkT.jpg

w2CiOjj.jpg
I’m always shocked by the price of your avocados. I could get a medium one for 85p here in Tesco in the U.K. which according to my currency converter is $1.43. I’d be bankrupt if I had to pay your prices! :eek:

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

I’m always shocked by the price of your avocados. I could get a medium one for 85p here in Tesco in the U.K. which according to my currency converter is $1.43. I’d be bankrupt if I had to pay your prices! :eek:
It's called "freightmate", which we have to put up with.

The tomatoes next to the the avo's are most probably grown here in Bundaberg, then trucked to Brisbane markets. Then Woolies buys them and trucks them back to Bundy, we whinge about the price and get told it's the freight... mate, that makes them expensive.

Must admit that it doesn't happen all the time, north Queensland bananas were $1.00 a kilo here last year.

We do get a lot of stuff from the Sunday markets when the farmers have them, pick up a lot of cheaper stuff then.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's called "freightmate", which we have to put up with.

The tomatoes next to the the avo's are most probably grown here in Bundaberg, then trucked to Brisbane markets. Then Woolies buys them and trucks them back to Bundy, we whinge about the price and get told it's the freight... mate, that makes them expensive.

Must admit that it doesn't happen all the time, north Queensland bananas were $1.00 a kilo here last year.

We do get a lot of stuff from the Sunday markets when the farmers have them, pick up a lot of cheaper stuff then.
“Freightmate”! :joyful:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a British avocado! They usually come from Israel or South America, the ones I buy.

Hotpepper20000

We are expecting 20cm of snow here in the next 24 hours so avocados do not grow here.
So but I will give up many other things before I give up Avos

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey, had heard cost of living in Aus was high, compared to UK prices - I reckon good old Blighty is in for a shock over the next few years!! :( I think most of those we get come from either South Africa or South America - which is a heck of a lot further to import from than NZ to Aus. Wonder if that's why some of them have "gone off" by the time they get here .... (Guess that M&S and/or Waitrose get their pick & pay the price accordingly)

D

Deleted member 308541

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Higher wage demands, higher prices, higher profits, so it's a vicious circle in the retail food industry here.

Off topic. One of the big four banks NAB, is sacking 6000 workers after a $6 billion profit.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...k=a71c6d67d72c4cff119b8ca4aacac02e-1509659879

The wage/price/profit merry-go-round aint easy to live with - coz everybody's got a point of view. (That's all I'm going to say about that !!) :bag:

Banks - what kinda logic is that ? o_O (sorry, can't read the article - it's behind a join up/paywall)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Banks - what kinda logic is that ? o_O (sorry, can't read the article - it's behind a join up/paywall)
Banks have been cutting staffing in UK too, at HQs an closing local branches. Partly due to people doing online and telephone banking now.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Banks have been cutting staffing in UK too, at HQs an closing local branches. Partly due to people doing online and telephone banking now.

Yeh, and who's pushing the on-line and phone banking, I wonder. My own bank (and other institutions) never stops bombarding me with "invitations" to consider the benefits of this, that and the other on-line services, and going "paperless" everything. Drives me nuts! Plus, of course, dire consequences of not purchasing their (very expensive) extra security services to help protect against their now less secure banking facilties! Less secure because Jo Bloggs & partner are now doing stuff on line they may not be too familiar with doing!

The Ozzie banks seem to be following suit. Apparently the need for their NAB to sack 6000 people is "driven by our customers", course it is - but who created the customer drive in the first place? Banks of course

Rant over! :D

p.s. Apols for the off topic diversion. Back to searching for decent avos .....

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So after reading about your passion for Avocado I decided to buy some to see what all the fuss is about. I got 4 for 99p and not sure what to do with them. Do you keep them in the fridge or in the fruit bowl? And what's the best way to eat them? I probably sound pretty stupid but I've never bought them before. Bill.

D

Deleted member 308541

. I got 4 for 99p and not sure what to do with them. Do you keep them in the fridge or in the fruit bowl? And what's the best way to eat them?
I keep mine out of the fridge till they can just be pushed in a bit when you give them a squeeze. Then put them in the fridge.

We cut them in half get the pip out and spoon the goodness out while holding on to a half. To give it a bit of spiciness a sprinkle of salt, bit of ground black pepper or chilli flakes to taste,

Here's a tutorial on preparing one.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-slice-an-avocado-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-200500

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So after reading about your passion for Avocado I decided to buy some to see what all the fuss is about. I got 4 for 99p and not sure what to do with them. Do you keep them in the fridge or in the fruit bowl? .
TBH @ 4 for 99p they probably aren't too good. A decent avocado in Waitrose or M&S costs around £1. It's a bit hit and miss if you buy cheaper ones. They might be unripe or over ripe and mushy.

They should be firm with just a little give when you squeeze them gently. If they are already ripe keep them in the fridge so they don't get over ripe. If they are hard and under ripe keep them out at room temperature until they have that bit of 'give' when you squeeze them.
It can take a bit of getting used to before you can judge when they are just right. That's why I like Waitrose ''Perfectly Ripe Avocados' which are usually just right. They cost £2 for a pack of two, but you rarely have to throw one away.

not yet.jpg

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And what's the best way to eat them?

Slice in half carefully with a sharp knife lengthwise around the stone, then twist gently to separate the two halves. Scoop out the stone with a spoon. You can eat the flesh as it is or put some olive oil, salt, pepper, tabasco, worcester sauce, mayonaise or salad dressings into the hollow if you want to give it some added taste.

Avocado toast is quite fashionable atm. Where you scoop out the avocado flesh, mash slightly and pile on toast (wholemeal or low carb preferably) with seasoning, and you can top it with a poached egg, bacon, or smoked salmon.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t be turned off if you got a brown or mushy one. It’s a bit of a learning curve unfortunatly but worth it.

You can make guacamole. Smash it with a fork, salt, pepper or red pepper, tomato, onion, cilantro and a few drops of lemon or lime juice.

Tons of recipes for smoothies

A word of warning. If for some odd reason you don’t eat the whole thing seal the remaining air tight. Remove the pit and put plastic wrap, paper towel or waxed paper on it. Then press lightly down on plate. They don’t stay good long after popped open so my advice is to just eat the whole thing!!!

D

Deleted member 308541

We are going to a Sunday farmers market very shortly to see what fruit and veggies are on sale. So hoping there are some cheaper Avo's there.

D

Deleted member 308541

No avo's at the market today, but got some salad stuff reasonably priced.

Mango's are starting to appear at a good price, be cheaper at xmas tho'.

Our butcher had his mobile butcher shop there, so grabbed some meat cheapish.

Edit: forgot to mention 2 Kilo buckets of Macadamia nuts in the shell for $20.00, grabbed one of them. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No avo's at the market today, but got some salad stuff reasonably priced.

Mango's are starting to appear at a good price, be cheaper at xmas tho'.

Our butcher had his mobile butcher shop there, so grabbed some meat cheapish.

Edit: forgot to mention 2 Kilo buckets of Macadamia nuts in the shell for $20.00, grabbed one of them. :D
That’s cheap for Macs right? Though I’ve never even seen a shell

Some MX aren’t looking good. Not brown but spotty. Sad mornings. They don’t save well either for hubby. He eats 1/2 per day. He doesn’t mind brown or spots. I DO

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
TBH @ 4 for 99p they probably aren't too good. A decent avocado in Waitrose or M&S costs around £1. It's a bit hit and miss if you buy cheaper ones. They might be unripe or over ripe and mushy.

They should be firm with just a little give when you squeeze them gently. If they are already ripe keep them in the fridge so they don't get over ripe. If they are hard and under ripe keep them out at room temperature until they have that bit of 'give' when you squeeze them.
It can take a bit of getting used to before you can judge when they are just right. That's why I like Waitrose ''Perfectly Ripe Avocados' which are usually just right. They cost £2 for a pack of two, but you rarely have to throw one away.

View attachment 24392
Haha. I pic messaged my avo daughter. She loved it