An hello and introduction.

embur78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
So I was diagnosed T2 Christmas (!) 2013, 13 mmol/L. Weight was almost 20st. Was told by the nurse to follow a low GI diet for 3 months, put on Metformin, and to come back for blood tests at the 3-month mark. So I researched Low GI diets and bought books on the subject and followed it strictly to the letter. After the 3 months, I had only lost 3lbs and felt like ****, bloated, tired and constant stomach cramps. My glucose test was around 8 or 9 mmol/L and the doctor seemed delighted that it had come down to that level! I mentioned the problems I was having and they told me to keep it up that it was the best way to control diabetes. I have to admit I was embarrassed to tell people that I had T2 diabetes (still am if I'm being honest) so only my mother and my closest friend knew about it but I knew I couldn't keep feeling the way I did so I confided in a friend, who is a Nutritionist, he said that some people can't process legumes, which feature heavily in a low GI diet, and he recommended that I look up Paleo. So after researching that I started following it in October 2014 and 3 months later I had lost 3st and felt amazing, bloods were in the range of high 4's to high 5's mmol/L (still on Metformin 2x500mg daily). Doctor was delighted but when I mentioned how I was doing it looked shocked and said that as a diabetic I needed carbs to control my sugar levels. Then I got sick in Feb 2015 and lost the will to cook or even care about what I was eating, I obviously gained some weight at this time and by the time my next blood tests were due I was embarrassed to go back to the doctor and thought I'll leave it for a month, lose the weight I'd gained and go back then, this turned into a downward spiral of saying 'oh I'll give it another month or 8weeks so the high blood sugar won't show in my tests'. I stopped measuring my glucose and taking Metformin. I knew I was in denial but I just couldn't go in.
So fast forward to 5th Feb this year, I got a bad sinus infection and I knew I needed antibiotics so I went to the doctor he was shocked that I hadn't had bloods done in 3 years, I explained why I hadn't been in and that I knew I was being stupid, he was lovely and told me that even if I knew I wasn't in range that I should come in when they were due and that he was there to help and not judge me. So a week and a half later I get a call from the surgery telling me that my bloods were back and asking me to come in straight away to discuss them. Knew it wasn't going to be good
My glucose levels were 17mml/l and my HbA1c was 101. Weight 17st 1lb
They did a glucose test and it was 11mml/L. Put back on Metformin (2x500mg) and again told by the nurse to lookup a low GI diet, I told her about the last time I did that and said that I felt better on a low carb diet, again I was told that I needed carbs to control my sugars!! I can't believe that they are still promoting this as a diabetic friendly way of eating.
So after spending hours online, I found this forum I can't believe the amount of information and advice that is here. I've lost hours just meandering through the different forum posts.
So to finish up, I've been following LCHF since the 15th Feb, a little over 2 weeks, writing down everything that I'm eating and my fasting and post-meal mml/L. Already my fasting bloods are in the low 6's and I've even hit a couple of 4.9s post meal. And I'm feeling great:happy:.
This ended up being a bit longer than I expected, but it feels great to get it all out. Looking forward to learning more from this forum and get the support form members and knowing that people here are going through the same things as me makes me feel less lonely.

Reactions: Liam1955

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Reactions: embur78

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @embur78 you’ve clearly done a great job coming back to managing your diabetes especially as you’ve not done so for a while. It will be lonely for you if you haven’t shared with many of your support network - which I know can be difficult. Although like a lot of things I’ve found once I’ve spoken about it to others I’ve found out that it’s amazing just how many people live with diabetes - Sharing on here and talking about diabetes may also help you to come to terms too with having the condition. Ask any questions you need answering there’s usually someone who will have the answer on here! I’ve learnt so so much by sharing and asking questions here .

Reactions: embur78

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone ever told me that I needed to eat carbs to control my diabetes I'd ask then to explain exactly how that could work.
It is like believing that pouring petrol over a fire would put it out.