(Another) Newly diagnosed type 1

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed as type 1 in December at the age of 32! I am a very lucky man as my partner is type 1 as well and has been since she was 9 years old and she recognised some early symptoms in me and tested my blood sugar for 3/4 days on her BG meter and my blood sugar was been 14 and 24. Went to the GP with my results and was put on metformin initially while waiting for consultant appts, so cut out sugar completely and lowered my carb intake to try and minimise risk before I get to see the consultant. Very little change in my BG for two weeks, so my GP sent my to an acute medical decisions ward as he was worried and was put on insulin then. Currently on novarapid and lantus. So far, the DSN has been happy with my numbers, mostly within range, a few high ones, but I have noticed they are starting to creep up and using a little more insulin in the last week or so.

All a bit of a shock and a lot to get my head round, but been reading this forum and all the advice and info is fantastic and I am a lucky man as my partner has helped me an incredible amount with it and living with her for the last 2 years ish has helped me get control pretty quickly. But still, had a few times when its just hit me and scares the hell out of me.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi"!

Al

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @alhubb :)

Sounds like your on the right track and the support of your partner will help immensely, it does take time for it all to sink in so feeling scared is a natural reaction. Best wishes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @alhubb :) Lucky you have your own expert on hand!

A Type 1 diagnosis is a massive shock, and as it all sinks in, it can become even more shocking and upsetting. Be kind to yourself. It will take some time to get your head round the diagnosis, so don't feel guilty if you have up and down days.

Adam.froud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, another 'old' T1 here, diagnosed on Friday aged 32 as well! I'm still trying to get to grips with everything myself, think it will take some time to learn!

Reactions: noblehead
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome, it can be a big shock but it will get easier in time, take care.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed as type 1 in December at the age of 32! I am a very lucky man as my partner is type 1 as well and has been since she was 9 years old and she recognised some early symptoms in me and tested my blood sugar for 3/4 days on her BG meter and my blood sugar was been 14 and 24. Went to the GP with my results and was put on metformin initially while waiting for consultant appts, so cut out sugar completely and lowered my carb intake to try and minimise risk before I get to see the consultant. Very little change in my BG for two weeks, so my GP sent my to an acute medical decisions ward as he was worried and was put on insulin then. Currently on novarapid and lantus. So far, the DSN has been happy with my numbers, mostly within range, a few high ones, but I have noticed they are starting to creep up and using a little more insulin in the last week or so.

All a bit of a shock and a lot to get my head round, but been reading this forum and all the advice and info is fantastic and I am a lucky man as my partner has helped me an incredible amount with it and living with her for the last 2 years ish has helped me get control pretty quickly. But still, had a few times when its just hit me and scares the hell out of me.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi"!

Al

I was 31 when diagnosed, take care.

Reactions: noblehead

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cheers, K Town. Thanks again, would have been very ill without you!