Anxious of Starting my new insulin amounts.

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok so Iv got the diabetic clinic tomorrow and we're changing from 3 injections to 4 injections a day and I'm really anxious about as I'm insulin sensitive so if we change something by 1 unit of insulin blood sugars go all over the place so going onto 4 injections a day is really scary I guess.. I'm worried that something might happen during school and tbh the school is shocking at helping deal with anything like hypos and that but I'm 14 going 15 on Saturday and I'm worried about that also as on my birthday my meals are at different times cause I have a bunch of mates out and we normally go do fun activities like go-carting and the cinema and that so what if something happens? So very anxious could anyone make suggestions about any help for this?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
whats the reason for this change? What insulin do you take? Do you take it with every meal and then long acting at night?
Every change is a bit stressful but if you test frequently you should avoid any unpleasant surprises

BrianInMidlands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jacob
Talk this through with the clinic - Just because they're thinking of changing to 4 injections rather than 3 doesn't mean the total dosage will go up.
It will hopefully give you better control - I'm on 5 a day (typically) , 1 Glargine in the morning, 1 Novorapid for each of breakfast, lunch and dinner and another Glargine in the night. It allows me better flexibility in what I do etc and the splitting of the glargine gave better control.
Hope that helps and please do ask the clinic team question - they should be doing this in partnership with you (after all you will know your body better than them!)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry. Seek advice from your team, but remember this new injection regime may suit you better so you may have less problems not more :)

Test, test and test! That's the key when you have any change.

If you're on four injections then I guess you'll be having a fast acting insulin before each meal? Do you carb count?

Tell us a little more about your new injection schedule and I'm sure people here can reassure you :) And make sure you have a great birthday!

Elliehowell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you have been told to inject 4 times then you must see if this helps with control. Dont worry about the amount of times you inject. I inject before every meal plus in between meals if I eat carbohydrates. I can sometimes inject 10 times a day! Once before each meal and if I have an apple mid morning and an apple mid afternoon , a glass of milk before bed or, if 2 hours after a meal my blood test is high I give more insulin and so on. I inject to cover the amount of carbohydrates I eat so, everyday is different and the number of times I inject everyday is different too. I hope this helps you and stops you from being anxious. Just remember that if you were not a diabetic then your pancreas would be pumping out insulin anyway and it would do it every time you ate carbohydrate. Your pancreas doesnt work so, you just inject the insulin instead. Xxx

Reactions: 4 people

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jacob
Talk this through with the clinic - Just because they're thinking of changing to 4 injections rather than 3 doesn't mean the total dosage will go up.
It will hopefully give you better control - I'm on 5 a day (typically) , 1 Glargine in the morning, 1 Novorapid for each of breakfast, lunch and dinner and another Glargine in the night. It allows me better flexibility in what I do etc and the splitting of the glargine gave better control.
Hope that helps and please do ask the clinic team question - they should be doing this in partnership with you (after all you will know your body better than them!)
Yeah I will make sure to ask every question I need to and make sure I fully understand everything before I leave meeting with them.. I'll write down every question/worry I have tonight and hand them the paper cause I don't wanna forget anything and thankyou

Reactions: 2 people

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't worry. Seek advice from your team, but remember this new injection regime may suit you better so you may have less problems not more :)

Test, test and test! That's the key when you have any change.

If you're on four injections then I guess you'll be having a fast acting insulin before each meal? Do you carb count?

Tell us a little more about your new injection schedule and I'm sure people here can reassure you :) And make sure you have a great birthday!

I constantly test anyway so that won't be a problem, and what Iv over heard is that it will be fast acting insulin morning lunch and dinner then before bed a long acting.. And no not learnt anything about card counting but I'm hoping to some point this year as I'm wanting to start in the pump! And I will do and thanks gonna have to keep a eye on how much rubbish I eat haha x

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're worried 1unit might take you too low ask for a pen that can do half units - in fact if you're that sensitive to insulin demand it! As others have said keep testing and give it a go you may find it works better for you so try not to worry. Have a frank and open talk with you consultant at clinic and make sure you understand everything they say, they're there to help YOU so have your say too!

Have a great day on Saturday - I'm sure your mates will look after you what ever you get up to.

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds like a pretty normal MDI (multiple daily injections, also known as basal/bolus) :)

Push for the carb counting counting course. If you know how many carbs are in your food, you can adjust your pre-meal insulin to match that, and avoid highs or lows much, much better.

Enjoy your special day :)

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just started carb counting yesterday, and surprisingly my results have been bang on everytime! 4-7 premeal, under 9 2 hours post, I've been testing a lot... Also I got distracted and put in my previous long lasting dosage instead of what I needed for my meal, so had to make 7 units up! Still came out perfectly fine. Not something I will look to repeat, nearly gave myself a heart attack when I realised! I'm not a fan of needles (putting it mildly) and I've only recently been diagnosed but honestly carb counting and more injections will most likely lead to better stability I would think. Good luck at the clinic and enjoy your birthday!!! (FYI I'm on 5 a day, 2 long lasting & 3 with meals)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I constantly test anyway so that won't be a problem, and what Iv over heard is that it will be fast acting insulin morning lunch and dinner then before bed a long acting.. And no not learnt anything about card counting but I'm hoping to some point this year as I'm wanting to start in the pump! And I will do and thanks gonna have to keep a eye on how much rubbish I eat haha x

A carb counting course (or knowledge of carb counting) will be a prerequisite before starting on a pump, if your insulin sensitive then do ask for a half unit pen as @slip suggests.

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Okay went to clinic today and it's not as bad as I though... 4 injections 3 fast acting and 1 long acting so fast acting 8 units at breakfast then 8 at lunch then 10-12 and before bed 22 units of long acting... I'm still a bit worried on how my blood sugars are going to react, and they said that for carb counting that we will start on that later on when my blood sugars are a bit better under control

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Jacob_Buchan_, be sure to keep a detailed bg diary so that your diabetes team can advise you on adjusting your insulin doses, make sure you test regularly and keep some fast-acting glucose to hand. Good luck and hope it all goes well.

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Jacob_Buchan_, be sure to keep a detailed bg diary so that your diabetes team can advise you on adjusting your insulin doses, make sure you test regularly and keep some fast-acting glucose to hand. Good luck and hope it all goes well.

I will! I test a lot anyway bit I'll test more and I'll write them down more often too because sometimes I'll check my blood sugars and then not write it down in the diary so I'll make sure to write it down every time

Reactions: 4 people

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay went to clinic today and it's not as bad as I though... 4 injections 3 fast acting and 1 long acting so fast acting 8 units at breakfast then 8 at lunch then 10-12 and before bed 22 units of long acting... I'm still a bit worried on how my blood sugars are going to react, and they said that for carb counting that we will start on that later on when my blood sugars are a bit better under control

Hi Jacob,

So the clinic told you to take 8 units at breakfast and 8 at lunch, this is not the best information to give you as it could be too little or too much insulin for what you're going to eat. You could one day decide to have eggs and bacon for breakfast which would require little to no insulin which would cause you to go hypo, be careful. You say you are insulin sensitive, I would not worry too much about that. I've been very insulin sensitive since day 1, I take 10 units of lantus a day along with 4-6 units with food and I inject sometimes 6 or more times a day due to eating a lot of food (and sometimes a correction dose). I don't carb count but I do take an educated guess because I eat similar foods most of the time.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I think any change when you are dealing with something that impacts your life can be stressful, however i've learned over the years that sometimes a little bit of pain can result in huge benefits, so embrace any changes as i'm sure you will have lots more in the years to come, being positive about change means less stress so try not to worry, I call these episodes blips ! ;)

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Everything is going great!!! Iv had a couple hypos and about 1 high but everything is going good other then that! Not forgot any of my injections and even injection at school is fine so y'all were right nothing to worry about

Reactions: 6 people