Any decent low carb breakfast cereals out there?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody,

Can we stay on track with the topic of the possibility of a recommendation of a “low carb cereal.”
To be fair the milk it swims in may cause it’s own BG issues with the lactose?

Thanx in advance.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't like having a cooked breakfast so make up a porridge that is mainly milled flaxseed. I started with 2 heaped spoons of milled flaxseed to one of oatbran to a flat spoon of chia seeds, plus a few seeds or a little chopped nuts. Cooked with water and a spoon of coconut milk plus salt and cinnamon, about 100s in a microwave and served with double cream. Over the first weeks I cut down on the oatbran as I got used to the taste of flaxseed (with plenty of cinnamon!).

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

mouseee

I'd highly recommend 'Brave Ape' porridge. They've got different flavours all of which are nice.
I searched for ages to find one I liked with no sweeteners.
You can use milk to make it but i use boiling water. Literally put porridge in bowl, pour on water and leave for a few minutes.
Also great in overnight not-oats with yogurt.
Also toyed with the idea of adding an egg and baking it like a cereal bar.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to either have FF Greek Yoghurt with blueberries and flaxseed, scrambled eggs with either mushrooms or 1 slice of toast, mushroom omelett or Paleo Foods Pecan and Almond grain free Granola with blueberries and whole milk or cream or both!

Reactions: Pura Vida

Malvernian

I don't like having a cooked breakfast so make up a porridge that is mainly milled flaxseed. I started with 2 heaped spoons of milled flaxseed to one of oatbran to a flat spoon of chia seeds, plus a few seeds or a little chopped nuts. Cooked with water and a spoon of coconut milk plus salt and cinnamon, about 100s in a microwave and served with double cream. Over the first weeks I cut down on the oatbran as I got used to the taste of flaxseed (with plenty of cinnamon!).
I usually have pecan and almond grain free granola made by paleo. It is also gluten free They also do a berry and almond. Expensive - £4.00 for 285 grams. According to packet 40g is 6.8 Carbs. I eat this with full cream greek yogurt. ( Lidlls is nicest) cereal I get from Sainsbury but probablyother stores sell it. Malvernian

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have pecan and almond grain free granola made by paleo. It is also gluten free They also do a berry and almond. Expensive - £4.00 for 285 grams. According to packet 40g is 6.8 Carbs. I eat this with full cream greek yogurt. ( Lidlls is nicest) cereal I get from Sainsbury but probablyother stores sell it. Malvernian
I’ve not seen it in any of the other ‘standard’ stores such as Tesco, Morrisons, ASDA, Aldi or Lidl and get mine from Sainsburys -currently on special offer so I splashed out an£ bought 2 boxes!!

Reactions: Speedbird

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, I was really surprised, pleasantly so, when I was faced with six new 'keto' and 'paleo' type cereals at a typical supermarket - various seeds, with coconut, dried raspberries I think, cinnamon - what was different was the type of seeds with a dried berry or spices combo, emblazoned with '6 carbs a serve'. I was spoilt for choice, chose one, and went on a cereal/museli substitute spree over the next few days, with icelandic or greek yoghurt. What a treat! I even had the breakfast cereal/muesli substitute for dinner two days in a row. Sigh. That's what eight years off the thing will do to you!

Then I calmed down, made sure I was really having a 'serve' (not so much as I had been serving myself), and only had it for breakfast. It is wonderful to have this store bought option. I will choose a different one of the six each month I go on a big supermarket shop. Can't wait for end of September's! Yum!

Reactions: Daphne917

Madisons

Here in Canada & U.S, there is a brand called Catalina Crunch. It‘s keto friendly so very low carb, loaded with fibre. You can purchase it on Amazon. It comes in a bunch of flavours similar to the high carb breakfast cereals we had growing up. There’s Honey Graham, Cinnamon toast, Maple, chocolate mint, etc…It actually tastes good, and goes great with almond milk or whatever milk you desir. Stays crunchy too. Sometimes I just snack on these dry and is so satisfying, or put it in Greek yogurt. Yum! Want some right now ; )

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make batches of this https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/grain-free-granola/ or variations of it depending on what I have in the cupboard or fancy as flavouring (turmeric and cinnamon feature highly for me). I have it with full fat Greek yoghurt and possibly a couple of raspberries both as a breakfast and a dessert. I might mix it up with coconut or double cream sometimes.
if it’s not in here already @Rachox does a nice fake porridge I have occasionally too.

alternatively what about meats and cheeses continental style?
cooked breakfast?
fish?
leftovers
or fasting

breakfast food is only limited to cereals by marketing companies. My grandparents certainly weren’t resticted by what mr Kellogg and his accounts called breakfast. It can be whatever you want it to be to break your overnight fast whenever you want it to be.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is lovely.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if it’s not in here already @Rachox does a nice fake porridge I have occasionally too
Thanks for the tag @HSSS , indeed I have already posted the coconut ‘porridge’ in post #10

Reactions: HSSS

Swan2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would keep well away from these unless you test your blood before and after eating them and they have no effect on your blood glucose. They would for me.
Skimmed milk is more carbie than full milk, so I tend to go for the Full milk, or better still double cream.... but that's for my coffee.

Wish you well.
Because I am also Lactose intolerant I discovered that Arla Lactofree milk is much lower in carbs than normal milk. Supermarket own lactose free milk is also lower but not as low, as it is not pure milk, hence why it is cheaper probably.