Any symptoms?

Antnewby

im getting tested for diabetes on the 19th due to a lot of close family being diagnosed. Worried about the results. Are there any symptoms that i would be having if i do have diabetes?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I can only speak for type 1 diabetes - you'll notice it very quickly because it hits you like a trunk.
So weight loss - unintended and very quick weightloss
Thirsty, no amount of water seems to hydrate you
Extremely tired
Lack of appetite
Dry skin - this might be a questionable one but I was very very dry
Constant toilet trips
Vomiting
I think there might be more, but those are the symptoms that I can remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caeseji and Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im getting tested for diabetes on the 19th due to a lot of close family being diagnosed. Worried about the results. Are there any symptoms that i would be having if i do have diabetes?
If your family is prone to T2, it may go rather unnoticed for a while. But the main things would be thirst and frequent urination. And you could notice a sweet odour coming from your urine? In any case it is a wise choice to get checked. Be sure to get exact numbers, because while a lot of us had doctors who knew we were prediabetic, we weren't actually told we were... I never would've let it get this far if I'd known what the problem was. (And there I was cutting fat and upping carbs, listening to the dietician. Argh! What I needed was exactly the other way around! Hello, T2!) Should your numbers be prediabetic you can change your lifestyle now, to prevent full blown T2 and complications later. And keep in mind your numbers could be wonderful now, it would be a proactive thing to get checked every so often from here on in.

Good luck!
Jo

PS: Should the testresults be less than ideal, we can help. Any questions, you throw 'em at us and we'll do whatever we can eh.

Reactions: Caeseji and Prem51
D

Deleted Account

This forum is great but it is only part of www.diabetes.co.uk. The website is brilliant. It contains a library of easy to digest articles about diabetes including articles on the different types, the symptoms and the treatment
I strongly recommend going to the website homepage and reading up on this condition.

Reactions: urbanracer
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being extremely thirsty and urinating a lot is a shared symptom.

For me, as a Type One, I had:
Excessive hunger, excessive thirst, going to the toilet every 20 minutes, extreme weightloss, at first I have too much energy then suddenly slumped, slept most of the day! Thrush (Not nice!!) and my hair started falling out.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had absolutely no symptoms at all when I was diagnosed. My blood test was part of a routine health check.

With Type 2 it varies considerably from no symptoms to the full works, probably dependent on how far advanced the T2 is when diagnosed. The symptoms tend to take their time materialising.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
For me, I had chronic stomach pains. I thought I had the flu. I waited for over a week before seeing a GP.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Being extremely thirsty and urinating a lot is a shared symptom.

For me, as a Type One, I had:
Excessive hunger, excessive thirst, going to the toilet every 20 minutes, extreme weightloss, at first I have too much energy then suddenly slumped, slept most of the day! Thrush (Not nice!!) and my hair started falling out.

I had all of these exact symptoms too! The first ones were the thrush and the hair though...

Donnajs77

My symptoms were extreme thirst, toilet trips every 40 mins, thrush, and slow weight loss, dizzy spells, and extreme tiredness, didn’t think anything of it, I only went to the doctor because of the dizzy spells as they were the last to appear, and here I am t2 4 weeks in, I’m slowly learning new things, I’ve changed my diet and currently on gliclazide and metformin