Hi. I´ll try and keep this short (I´m currently on my winter holiday in Spain, as planned, so I need to get outside soon for some 18c sun) and also I don´t want all the waffle to get away from the main point.

In short I am British and have been thinking about moving to Australia in the future, so I was wondering about the Type 1 costs and possible healthcare situation over there.
So ´tourist prices´and also the various future situations which would at some point involve me working and having some kind of medical insurance related to paying tax and social security or however the system works over there.

In terms of medical costs I have been fortunate to live in the UK as my diabetes costs have been minimal under the NHS system where (outside of paying the usual income tax and social security) there are no extra costs for diabetes related medications.
However I know that anywhere outside of the UK (including the EU since Britain has left) these costs are going to become potentially massive.

I´ll leave it there for now as I don´t want to pad out this first message too much with various possible scenarios, or how the UK sucks apart from the NHS cost thing.

Thanks for any input.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
As a returning foreign resident to Australia from the UK (one day), I'd have to have medical insurance in place for 6 months before being able to access Medicare again (the application can take this long). A lot of medical insurances don't cover insulin, so I'd imagine I'd have to pay full price for that. You can register with the NDSS once you have a Medicare number. Please note the NDSS does not cover insulin, lancets and other products that may be needed for the management of your diabetes. These products can be purchased, either at full retail price or under relevant subsidies, once being able to access Medicare, if using a prescription.

https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.a...our-diabetes/visiting-or-moving-to-australia/

Last edited:
Reactions: HeartBreakHigh

____Matt

Hi,

New to the forum and just saw this thread.

I live in Australia (been here 12 years - originally from the UK) and was diagnosed with T1 5 years go.

I've found it incredibly affordable to treat T1. But you do need to be on the national healthcare system here - Medicare. You also need to register with the NDSS (as mentioned above) which gets you a significant discount on everything.

BS testing machines are free, but you have to pay for the testing strips, my last pack of 50 cost $7, Insulin is about $70 for 5 boxes of 5 cartridges. Both with the NDSS discount.

I imagine if you came here as a tourist you would have to pay full whack for everything so triple those prices.

Hope that helps a little.

Reactions: HeartBreakHigh