Any type 1 diabetics on Metformin?

mskelly

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried metformin with type 1 diabetes, and how it was for you?

I've had type 1 for over 20 years. The past 5-6 years I've really struggled with good blood sugar maintenance - my sugars are very elevated when I'm sedentary and I work an office job - I exercise 3 times a week at the gym, weights and cardio and I swim weekly. I struggle to lose weight like many people on insulin despite a calorie controlled diet.
I'm considering taking metformin as it was suggested it may help my sugars come down - my diabetic nurse suggested trying it because she thinks I may be quite insulin resistant because my sugars drop rapidly in response to exercise, but stay high the rest of the time despite taking lots of extra insulin.

Any information would help. I'm conscious generally speaking I'm overall fit and healthy otherwise (I have retinopathy but this was due to me having an eating disorder for 5 years). It's just the sugars that are a pain in the bum!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried metformin with type 1 diabetes, and how it was for you?

I've had type 1 for over 20 years. The past 5-6 years I've really struggled with good blood sugar maintenance - my sugars are very elevated when I'm sedentary and I work an office job - I exercise 3 times a week at the gym, weights and cardio and I swim weekly. I struggle to lose weight like many people on insulin despite a calorie controlled diet.
I'm considering taking metformin as it was suggested it may help my sugars come down - my diabetic nurse suggested trying it because she thinks I may be quite insulin resistant because my sugars drop rapidly in response to exercise, but stay high the rest of the time despite taking lots of extra insulin.

Any information would help. I'm conscious generally speaking I'm overall fit and healthy otherwise (I have retinopathy but this was due to me having an eating disorder for 5 years). It's just the sugars that are a pain in the bum!
hi mskelly i am a type1 and take metformin 3 times a day with my insulin the reason being i was very insulin resistant it doesnt actually do anything for my blood sugars it just makes my insulin work more effectively if i by any chance forget to take it blood sugars go sky high regardless of how much i take hope this helps x

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Metformin is an insulin sensitising agent. Dr Bernstein in Diabetes Solution states that he uses it with his type 1 patients with insulin resistance. It's something to discuss with your diabetes nurse or team. I stayed on it after moving onto insulin but found it didn't do anything for me, as I'm really insulin sensitive. I stopped taking it after a couple of weeks on the advice of my consultant. My diabetes nurse supports its use for other patients with IR.

Last edited:

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

You sound just like me! I started metformin about a year ago, although I have seen no weight loss I have had better control than ever. Sugars are easier to predict and more reliable.

I find metformin quite difficult to tolerate however, it makes me feel really nauseous. I take 2 tablets a day and it does help. I could probably get better results with 4 per day but it makes me too unwell.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Metformin SR with my insulin as I used it before insulin and my DN suggested I continue as it has other benefits. Metformin doesn't really help with weight loss as such. It reduces my meter BS by around 1 mmol.

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi
I've been taking metformin for a good ten years alongside my insulin and it really does help level wise. If I forget to take it, then I go much higher than without.

Emmett7

Hi
I've been taking metformin for a good ten years alongside my insulin and it really does help level wise. If I forget to take it, then I go much higher than without.
Hi I've been T1 40 years and have been on metformin for 6 months. There has definitely been.an improvement in my BS - particularly throughout the night. I have had no ill effects so would give it a go and monitor the impact it has or conversely doesn't have - then you can make a more discerning judgement for the longer term. All the best.