any type 1's on low carb high fat please share your experiences

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
after a member posted a link to me im very interested in this lo carb high fat diet to really reduce my insulin, question i have is how much have type ones actualy loered there insulin and/or weight by doing this, if you are eating a meal of just bacon and eggs with zero carbs do you cut out your short acting insulin? im exercising as much as possible to get my need for insulin down and currently on a 1200 calorie diet with around 130 g carbs a day

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope, you still need it. For one reason and two mechanisms. The reason is, your body still needs glucose. It creates it by:

1. Converting protein to glucose. It usually prefers carbs for this as it's easier to convert to glucose, but it can do this with protein too.
2. When you eat food enters your large intestine, stretching the walls, which triggers glucagon production and an increase in BGs. Ever been really hungry, eaten and been satisfied within a few minutes, despite it taking hours to digest food? Well, this is why.

The good thing is, is that both require small doses of insulin. You'll soon be able to look at a plate of food and think, "that's two units". Low carbing makes excellent control easy!

Reactions: 4 people

debbiiee

U need to adjust the time of injecting ur short acting too. If ur meal is high in protein and fat, its good to inject after the meal. Because protein releases glucose much slower & fat delays the absorption of carbs.
Good luck with LCHF:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks, im already on low carb but tempted to go zero carb and high fat/protein as i love fish, chicken , beef etc etc, just wanted to hear from a few type ones to see how its affected control, weight and insulin amounts

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi,
I have been a type 1 for many years and actually a healthy one. Unfortunately you will need carbs as they are the brains fuel. I am on 140 grams of carbs a day which works out fine for me. I would gulp on bacon etc because of the cholesterol. I have two balance days in a week. As a 54 year old I don't need 2000 calories anymore so I stick to 1500 on a normal day but on the twp balance days I take in 1100. Works perfect to keep in shape and no excessive unwanted handles over my trousers;)
But best thing is to discuss it with your nutricianist. What works for one person doesn't work for another.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have between 50-90carbs a day, always have for my 30 years T1.

As a T1 (or non diabetic) you ate told NOT to go zero on anything.....humans are built genetically around having various sources of nutrients and thats why we can kill animals and also grow crops. We weren't born with gills only to eat plantain!!!

Why on earth do you want to go zero carb? Even cucumber if you eat enough has carbs in it and a crate of lettuces would be the same!!

Sorry, I am slim and fit and healthy after 30yrs T1 and no complications. I have serious doubts on your future wishes to zero carb...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Zero carbs means no fruit, no veg, no dairy, where on earth are you going to get adequate vitamin C from? Unlike other animals we can't manufacture it. Even if you eat loads of liver for Vit C you would get too much vit A (and liver has a few carbs anyway)

Reactions: 3 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Unfortunately you will need carbs as they are the brains fuel.

This is not quite true, the brain needs glucose not carbs. Protein and to some extend fat are converted to glucose , which can be used by the brain. I see numerous people stating they are low carbers on 100 to 150 g of carbs per day, to me this is not low carb. If I ate 150 g of carbs a day I would not achieve non-diabetic blood sugar levels, even with strenuous exercise thrown in. I consider myself a low carber at 30 g per day.

Reactions: 9 people

Solestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, apathy and Cretinopathy (a term coined by lowcarbdibetic.co.uk) which is a common diabetes related condition where people who should know better (Healthcare professionals and Diabetes charities) advise diabetics to consume high carbohydrate/sugar food.
As Cblake already stated, you can get the required glucose to your brain through the conversion of protein, your brain does not require carbohydrates for fuel. I have type 1 and use a LCHF approach to diet. I haven't lost any weight but my weight is stable and I don't need to. I use LCHF for glucose maintenance. Since I started low carbing I've dropped my insulin requirements by over 50%, reduced my A1c from 11.3 in October to 7.7 in March and hopefully even more by the next one and I've reduced the range of swing between high and low glucose readings.

Although, the LCHF approach has enabled me to gain better control than I previously had, I would have some reservations about a zero carb approach. By cutting out leafy green vegetables from your diet, you may find yourself lacking in essential nutrients. Also, it would be very easy to overdo the protein, which could cause its own problems.

And yes, I have to bolus insulin for protein consumption.

Reactions: 4 people