Anybody know of low carb meal replacement bars?

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing pretty good in my 10th week of lchf. Better than I could have imagined actually. Managed to lose 11.7 kg so well on my way to first target of 13kg. Still have a long way to go after that though but in no rush, it will take as long as it takes. I am pretty good at planning my meals ahead now, cooking from fresh, but for those days when I've left home without my lunch or something unforeseen crops up I just want to be able carry a couple of meal replacements bars in my handbag. The ones I've looked at seem to be about 30-35 per meal. Ideally I would prefer something with 20 carbs maximum. Anyone any ideas? Thanks.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9bars are between 9g - 13g depending which one you buy - I very occasionally have 1/2 a bar of the carob topped one - I find them very filling and a bit sweet but they are nice if you like that sort of thing

Reactions: 2 people

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried a 9bar last week and found it too sweet, it had rice sugar in it and was 16.4g. I actually like the slim fast summer berry, and just count it toward my total. As always test to make sure it doesn't spike you too much.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9 Bar peanut is ok I think, 8.6g of carbs - I keep a box in my car for emergencies.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the ideas. I live in Spain and haven't seen the 9bars although I will look. There is a small Holland & Barrett not too far away so will maybe try there. Tim2000 that site looks good problem is I would have to order a lot to make it worthwhile and then I would have the temptation factor!

Marthaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing pretty good in my 10th week of lchf. Better than I could have imagined actually. Managed to lose 11.7 kg so well on my way to first target of 13kg. Still have a long way to go after that though but in no rush, it will take as long as it takes. I am pretty good at planning my meals ahead now, cooking from fresh, but for those days when I've left home without my lunch or something unforeseen crops up I just want to be able carry a couple of meal replacements bars in my handbag. The ones I've looked at seem to be about 30-35 per meal. Ideally I would prefer something with 20 carbs maximum. Anyone any ideas? Thanks.
I try to carry a small pot of macadamia nuts all the time. I have a few pots filled and ready to grab on the way out of the door. I use Nature Valley Protein Bars for 'emergency rations'. The Salted Caramel Nut is 9.4g carb. I'm not sure that shop bought cereal bars are too good on a regular basis, but I haven't yet managed to come up with my own version that will survive a day in a handbag!

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The natural low carb store has perfect snacks, I have used them for two years now, and you know they have no horrid fillers or artificial sugars in them. Excellent stuff.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also order bars from the natural low carb store.................coconut and brazil. Expensive, as very small and £1.25 each, but taste nice. They are sweetened with FOS/Inulin/chicory which suits me very well. Approx 3.5 grams carbs per bar. The most important thing is that unlike most other bars, no polyols like Maltitol, which I just can't tolerate. I have found these bars don't really spike me at all.

Reactions: Serena51

Craigh270779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
quest bars as well have low carb, you can get the atkins bars as well which i enjoyed before

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The Atkins ones are low carb. I practically live on them when I'm on tour.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

If you look, Atkins often uses net carbs. Their total carb count is often high(if you're on a keto diet like me they can be as much as 10-15g carb each, 3/4 of my daily carb intake.......)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.adonis-foods.com/
They do bars and brownies / blodies
Tried all of the bars except the new tumeric one ( not sure what to think of that yet)
All of the blondies / brownies are 2g net carbs, all v nice and perfect as a meal replacement, although the greenie isnt as nice as the others IMO.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you look, Atkins often uses net carbs. Their total carb count is often high(if you're on a keto diet like me they can be as much as 10-15g carb each, 3/4 of my daily carb intake.......)
The total is high because the sugar alcohols are included - as they are US based - but the net carbs are much lower, and they are the ones you can digest - watch out for the effects of you gut flora and fauna having a party as they can digest the sugar alcohols even if you can't.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The total is high because the sugar alcohols are included - as they are US based - but the net carbs are much lower, and they are the ones you can digest - watch out for the effects of you gut flora and fauna having a party as they can digest the sugar alcohols even if you can't.

Exactly!

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have taken to having the occasional Protein bar from Natures Way - mainstream supermarket bars, and 9.4 per bar. Tasty too and a nice treat.