Anyone having success with low carb or keto.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in May 2017, I was also diagnosed with type 2. With fasting glucose of 140. I went on strict ketogenic diet which is a low carb diet consisting of moderate protein, lots of low carb vegetable and high amounts of fat. My blood sugars are now in the high 80's and low 90's and feeling great. I follow a ketogenic food list.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced success doing this or if maybe an alternative diet like vegan has been successful for them>

Reactions: NewTD2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can get normal blood glucose and non diabetic Hba1c numbers on no more than 50 gm of carbs a day, plus weightloss, mostly from around my middle so I am definitely in ketosis for enough time to make a difference.
There are quite a few people on the forum with good results from low carb only control of BG.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you scroll down further on the Forum list you will find sub sections on Keto, LCHF and Vegan/Vegetarian methods of management for those with Diabetes. Welcome to the group and well done on your improved management.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a few of us here are keto and most others LCHF.
There are vegan forum members who have their own section too as well as quite a few vegetarians.
Personally I find keto the easiest for me to stick to and the best for blood glucose control.
I'm also a bit of a sceptic where the Barnards and Gregers are concerned.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in May 2017, I was also diagnosed with type 2. With fasting glucose of 140. I went on strict ketogenic diet which is a low carb diet consisting of moderate protein, lots of low carb vegetable and high amounts of fat. My blood sugars are now in the high 80's and low 90's and feeling great. I follow a ketogenic food list.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced success doing this or if maybe an alternative diet like vegan has been successful for them>
Hi, I was diagnosed completely out of the blue in October last year. My first HbA1c was 95 (10.8) 2nd test result 87 (10.1) booked to see the diabetes nurse end of November and she did a finger prick test for me reading 76 (9.1)
Had my first check up 6th February, HbA1c now 45 (6.3) pre diabetic range, I test my blood myself and am averaging 37 (5.5) I’ve lost 2st 11lbs to date, cholesterol was good at time of diagnosis 4.1 and has come down a little bit to 4, blood pressure was good and again has come down to lower than the recommended maximum level. All achieved by eating low carb diet and exercise. Good luck.

Reactions: Incyb

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes for four years now - low carb/keto, and I've lost weight and reduced my glucose levels from well and truly diabetic, to low pre-diabetic/"high" normal. See signature and a pretty graph :

BG_average_Libre_Jan_2017.png

It definitely works!

Robbity

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
An all animal based food diet (no plant based food) works for me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too was diagnosed in May ‘17 with an HbA1c of 70. I immediately lowered my carb intake, initially to below 100g/day, then after six weeks to between 50-70g/day which is where I’ve stayed. My last three HbA1cs have been non diabetic and I’ve lost over 32kg (5 stone) in weight. I’d say that’s successful!

Reactions: BigIain

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I’m having a lot of success on a keto diet: details in signature, but 14 months after diagnosis, I’m over 6 stone lighter and last 2 HbA1cs have been well into the normal range. There are many other examples on the forum.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Do you know how many grams of carbohydrate you are eating daily? I'm thinking that "lots of low carb vegetables" soon adds up to quite a few carbs.

Cathi18768

I have been lchf for the last year and have substantially reduced my meds and lost 2and a half stone, almost effortlessly! Almost feels like magic - I wish I had discovered it a lot earlier in my life, I would have been much healthier and happier!

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Do you know how many grams of carbohydrate you are eating daily? I'm thinking that "lots of low carb vegetables" soon adds up to quite a few carbs.
If your counting net carbs you take the "fiber" content off the total carbs - I have to do it all the time if I want a net carb reading (I don't know what labels are like there but in NZ they all show total carbs) - then I try for less than 25g a day. If was counting total carbs might be more like 50.

You take off the fiber because you don't digest it the same as other carbs - as in it has little to no effect on blood glucose.

There's a little more to it if look it up like sugar alcohol but if in general minus fiber you'll be pretty close.

Hope that seems to make it more obtainable to get down to the low carb level people talk about.

Reactions: Seewalk

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your counting net carbs you take the "fiber" content off the total carbs - I have to do it all the time if I want a net carb reading (I don't know what labels are like there but in NZ they all show total carbs) - then I try for less than 25g a day. If was counting total carbs might be more like 50.

You take off the fiber because you don't digest it the same as other carbs - as in it has little to no effect on blood glucose.

There's a little more to it if look it up like sugar alcohol but if in general minus fiber you'll be pretty close.

Hope that seems to make it more obtainable to get down to the low carb level people talk about.
Is NZ different to Australia? We have Total Carbs, but it doesn't include Fibre, so total carbs is effectively net carbs. If we wanted to make ours the same as the US, we'd have to add fibre back.

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Is NZ different to Australia? We have Total Carbs, but it doesn't include Fibre, so total carbs is effectively net carbs. If we wanted to make ours the same as the US, we'd have to add fibre back.
Well seems to vary I imagine many things we have are same as yours - in that case I count the total (effectively net ) like you do- but if it lists fiber I'll take it off for example in the bread label shown.

I admit I don't really eat much packaged stuff so use it usually with vegetables etc by looking up the nutritional info on the internet and working it out per 100g

So like I have black berries growing in the back yard they are about 10g carb (per 100g) but half of that is fiber if I counted total for all fruit and vegetable i eat id never be any were near the 20 odd g they talk about for keto (not that I try to be in keto just low carb - keto seems to be a side affect with my diet Marcos atm)
1519374324779.jpg

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well seems to vary I imagine many things we have are same as yours - in that case I count the total (effectively net ) like you do- but if it lists fiber I'll take it off for example in the bread label shown.

I admit I don't really eat much packaged stuff so use it usually with vegetables etc by looking up the nutritional info on the internet and working it out per 100g

So like I have black berries growing in the back yard they are about 10g carb (per 100g) but half of that is fiber if I counted total for all fruit and vegetable i eat id never be any were near the 20 odd g they talk about for keto (not that I try to be in keto just low carb - keto seems to be a side affect with my diet Marcos atm) View attachment 25379
Lol sorry bad example - your right would have to add fiber back on the bread total carbs - snapped before read it properly is listed as separate from carbs on that one.

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

So like I have black berries growing in the back yard they are about 10g carb (per 100g) but half of that is fiber if I counted total for all fruit and vegetable i eat id never be any were near the 20 odd g they talk about for keto (not that I try to be in keto just low carb - keto seems to be a side affect with my diet Marcos atm) View attachment 25379
Just to clear up any confusion - only subtract fiber from total when is listed as part of the total as shown
images.jpeg

Reactions: Indy51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the UK our total carbs also don't include the fibre, which is listed separately so no need to deduct anything here either.

Robbity