Anyone remember these syringes?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! I was never offered the Palmer Injector or the hypo guard thing..

Which was just as well. I got memories of the needle occasionally left in my scrawny 8 year old leg when it popped off the glass syringe & wondering what the heck I do now.. :banghead:

Happy days.. :)
When I used the Palmer, the needle would embed itself in my thigh which meant I then had to take the syringe off the injector and reconnect it to the needle that was in my leg and take it from there.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
When I used the Palmer, the needle would embed itself in my thigh which meant I then had to take the syringe off the injector and reconnect it to the needle that was in my leg and take it from there.
How on earth did they manage to sell it?!!

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found a picture of the Hypoguard Automatic Injector which is exactly the same as the one I used. It's top right and is in amongst other diabetic 'museum pics' that folks here might find interesting. I'd love to know what the small piece of equipment bottom right is. Another hand-held injector?. The photographs are on a British site I've never heard of, I've spent some time this morning reading through it and it's now added to my browser favourites. I don't normally post links but it came up as a 'safe' site on both my virus and malware checkers. The link is:

https://type1bri.com/wp-content/gallery/jdrf-day/20161105_150759.jpg

Bill

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found a picture of the Hypoguard Automatic Injector which is exactly the same as the one I used. It's top right and is in amongst other diabetic 'museum pics' that folks here might find interesting. I'd love to know what the small piece of equipment bottom right is. Another hand-held injector?. The photographs are on a British site I've never heard of, I've spent some time this morning reading through it and it's now added to my browser favourites. I don't normally post links but it came up as a 'safe' site on both my virus and malware checkers. The link is:

https://type1bri.com/wp-content/gallery/jdrf-day/20161105_150759.jpg

Bill
Yes that's the Hypoguard I also used. Not sure what the item at the bottom is and I'm not sure I want to know!

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've found a picture of the Hypoguard Automatic Injector which is exactly the same as the one I used.

I have a feeling that's what my parents used on me as a kid - but to be honest I'd have to ask them as I was very young at the time, and I never used it myself - we were using plastic syringes by the time I had the courage to inject myself (I was only 2 when diagnosed so I couldn't do it myself at that point anyways)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,
I normally took the queue from where the ram stopped in the syringe at the point of "pop off" after pulling the needle out my leg. Then re attached the needle & draw up the amount "thought" left in the syringe..? Don't try this at home kids!
Actually I was... Bearing in mind I was a kid in an age (1970s) of "chewing gum wrapping around the heart" urban mythology.
My primary objective was to make sure I dose correctly with no air in the syringe..

But hey! Here we are to tell the tale.. :)

... Don't get me started on the diabetic sugar free, lump of coal for Christmas. ;)

Reactions: yingtong and Dodo

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee, do you remember the small cake for diabetics sealed inside a can and you needed a tin-opener to get to it? That was the Christmas treat I was given from the mid-60's. Never got it any other time as my folks, bless them, said it was too expensive.

Bill

Reactions: yingtong

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
All the dread and fear and loathing of doing my injections as a child just come back and hit me. WOW pictures bring back memories. At one stage I have have every single one of these items. From the pee testersupwards. How time have come along all for the better I must add

Reactions: nessals946

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Jaylee, do you remember the small cake for diabetics sealed inside a can and you needed a tin-opener to get to it? That was the Christmas treat I was given from the mid-60's. Never got it any other time as my folks, bless them, said it was too expensive.

Bill
It was called RiteDiet Fruit Cake!

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All the dread and fear and loathing of doing my injections as a child just come back and hit me. WOW pictures bring back memories. At one stage I have have every single one of these items. From the pee testersupwards. How time have come along all for the better I must add
Same here

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Bill
All so called diabetic food was very expensive in those days. I remember the Energen rolls which were lower carbohydrate. It was obvious why they were so low as when you broke one open they were virtually just an empty shell.

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My parents travelled to london to buy diabetic chocolate and biscuits.I remember having an easter egg and chocolate bars in a pink foil wrapper.All tasted hideous of course

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
All so called diabetic food was very expensive in those days. I remember the Energen rolls which were lower carbohydrate. It was obvious why they were so low as when you broke one open they were virtually just an empty shell.
I remember when we tested Energen Starch Reduced rolls with iodine solution at school. Dr Shaw, the Biology teacher, was probably my favourite. He was a very engaging man with wild hair, beard and twinkling eyes, who spoke with his bottom lip curled back over his front teeth. When the iodine hit the inside of the open roll, which as @Dodo says was an empty shell, the iodine went just as inky as with the potato test. Dr Shaw, pointing at us in an almost accusatory fashion, said "So you can go home and tell your fat mums that these are not starch reduced. They are bread reduced!"

Reactions: Dodo

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has made me laugh so much! I was diagnosed aged 7 in 1976 so remember metal and glass ( also the pain if you dropped it while jabbing and it scored your arm ). The smell of the urine tablets, the smell of boiling syringes, the smell of meths, the smell of Sorbitol - oh it was all about smell I was given a metal gun that fired my syringe at me and left attractive bruises, don’t think it caught on. I remember shouting from the toilet ‘Mum it’s blue, can I have a biscuit!!’ or more boringly ‘Mum it’s orange, can I have another drink?’ My Nan bought me some sweets called Skells which ripped the roof of your mouth off and were in foil tablet type packets, but were also a handy laxative. Supper was two thirds of a slice of bread with a Bovril drink. My cordial came from the chemist and was the price of a pair of shoes. I hate Dextrosol tablets as they still taste of washing powder. My Mum used to bake using vanilla pods so my cake contributions at Brownies were always left until last. I was allowed two sugar shrimps weekly before the school swimming lesson, and the local newsagent rang my Mum to blab that I’d fallen off the wagon and was running amok among the pick n mix, I changed my allegiances in sweet shops. Funny memories - thanks for sharing x

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You’ve found it! I remember this being sold to me as a great invention, but when the top of my legs resembled a Dalmation’s my parents said it wasn’t. My poor Mum had a handbag the size of Wales. X

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
This has made me laugh so much! I was diagnosed aged 7 in 1976 so remember metal and glass ( also the pain if you dropped it while jabbing and it scored your arm ). The smell of the urine tablets, the smell of boiling syringes, the smell of meths, the smell of Sorbitol - oh it was all about smell I was given a metal gun that fired my syringe at me and left attractive bruises, don’t think it caught on. I remember shouting from the toilet ‘Mum it’s blue, can I have a biscuit!!’ or more boringly ‘Mum it’s orange, can I have another drink?’ My Nan bought me some sweets called Skells which ripped the roof of your mouth off and were in foil tablet type packets, but were also a handy laxative. Supper was two thirds of a slice of bread with a Bovril drink. My cordial came from the chemist and was the price of a pair of shoes. I hate Dextrosol tablets as they still taste of washing powder. My Mum used to bake using vanilla pods so my cake contributions at Brownies were always left until last. I was allowed two sugar shrimps weekly before the school swimming lesson, and the local newsagent rang my Mum to blab that I’d fallen off the wagon and was running amok among the pick n mix, I changed my allegiances in sweet shops. Funny memories - thanks for sharing x
I never thought about washing powder. I always thought of metalic chalk dust. They made me screw my face up in spite of having minimal energy and brain function. What's changed?!

Last edited: