1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone remember these syringes?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Madmaureen, Feb 22, 2018.

1. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

About the only "old" thing I remember was my first glucometer that I got in 1984. It was in a zippered case, made of plastic, about 9"X 6". I had to put in the strip, drop blood on it, wait a minute, wipe it off with a cotton ball, and load it into the meter. It took another minute to get the blood sugar reading. Anyone remember those?

• Like Like x 1
  2. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Slowly and carefully ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We had BM sticks back then, same wait time but you compared the colours to the ones on the tub.after banging your finger with one of those horrible lancets to draw blood.

4. Madmaureen

Madmaureen Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ha ha yes we had to no choice all those years ago and dont forget we didnt think there would ever be an alternative but thank god there.is now I shudder when I think about those days!!

5. Smallbrit

Smallbrit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aha! That thing was a constant fixture in our bathroom when I was growing up with my type 1 mum. I had no idea what it was. Just one of the things we had that other people didn’t...! I’m learning so much about my own past on these forums

• Like Like x 2
  6. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

You bet I do! In the late 1970s they were not designed for handbags, or pockets.

#106 Grant_Vicat, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. Grant_Vicat

Hi @Llinz04 The following describes similar nightmares in 1966, while I was a Type 1 inpatient:

I remember a ginger haired and very tall boy coming in for an operation on an in-growing toenail, a girl coming in with non-stop hiccups who was applied to an oxygen mask, and a 12 year old girl (I think her name was Christine, but I can’t be certain) who was a newly diagnosed diabetic. The nurses took advantage of her arrival by pointing out that she was a girl and had started administering her own injections straight away and that I was being a wimp. Although I believed this, I stubbornly refused to “self-harm” way beyond Christine’s incarceration. One morning I surrendered and aimed the frighteningly thick Luer mounted needle towards my right thigh. Just like trying to remove a splinter with a sewing needle. Having made a bloody, but futile mess, one of the nurses whipped the syringe out of my hand and plunged it straight in. I was given an orange on which to practise, but I was not convinced that oranges have any sense of pain. It would be nearly Christmas before I was able to be discharged and even then I was not as stable as they would have liked

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm real glad I didn't have to go through the big needles, glass syringes era. I peed on the sticks and took NPH for about 4 months. Then MDI (Ultralente/Regular animal insulins) and the big glucometer from then on.

9. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can anyone remember the injection guns where you clipped the syringe on the top of the gun and pulled back onto a spring that then shot it through your skin? Cor the bruises they used to cause !

10. jaywak

I've just seen Dodos photo of the Palmer injection gun, it brought back memories OUCH1

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Were any of you old timers lucky enough to have a shot of the first ever pump? I wonder why it didn't catch on...

images (1).jpg

12. Grant_Vicat

Hi Bill, Just been rummaging in the loft. Found this from a December 1969 magazine! Considering a Kit-Kat would have been at the most 8d then - I actually think 6, 8/4d would equate to 12.5 Kit-Kats which is £8.75 in today's money. Would it have been worth opening the can?!

13. Grant_Vicat

Was this advert sponsored by ExLax?! As for Trade Descriptions...
    View attachment 25629
    Also found these in a 1969 BDA journal!

14. Grant_Vicat

upload_2018-3-10_15-21-13.png
    Hi Bill, yet another 1969 advert:

#114 Grant_Vicat, Mar 10, 2018 at 3:28 PM
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  15. Grant_Vicat

What is staggering is the price - by 1969 had reached 50/- which is around £70 in today's money!
    Once again it won't load!

#115 Grant_Vicat, Mar 10, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  16. Grant_Vicat

Also found these
    This was the other option in 1969
    upload_2018-3-10_15-50-38.png

17. Grant_Vicat

@rochari Hi Bill, I seem to be suffering from techno-senility. I'll try again for Rite Diet ad.
    upload_2018-3-10_16-2-24.png
    Very expensive!

18. Grant_Vicat

19. jaywak

Can anyone remember the diabetic chocolate in the 70s I think it had a butterfly as the logo and I think coca cola Tab were the first to do sugar free coke in I think a pink can?

20. Grant_Vicat

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook