anyone tried these

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the rice, ordered 20 packs from Holland and Barrett because they were on offer at £1.25 per pack, great with curries. They have very little nutritional value but get my calories from the curry.
I too am a bulk buyer of Slim pasta and rice. Don't forget the 4g of fibre per 100g product, which in my strictly carb deprived diet is invaluable.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally when I eat I'm after something I really enjoy and there is so many things which are delicious and low carb!!
Yes, and I bet you are lucky enough to be able to cope with more than my <20g daily carbs. There are indeed so many things that are delicious and low carb, and that I can't afford to eat in any quantity. Something to fill me up and not raise my bg is a life-saver.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anyone familiar with tofu? How good is it as low carb diet? How does one prepare it for a meal? Or is it only good as snack?
There is a big, worrying question mark as to whether eating much tofu is healthy for older people. Two big research studies on older Japanese people in Hawaii who regularly ate tofu found an alarming rise in the rates of developing Alzheimers. At that point I was eating tofu every day, but I gave it up (with great difficulty) instantly.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, I did try the fettuccine from Holland and Barrett when it was on offer a couple of months ago. I didn't take to it, and threw the entire meal away. First up, I recommend cooking it longer than the packet States (mine was cold) and maybe stir fry it with your meal so it picks up a little more flavour and dries out.

I also found that the smell put me off quite a bit. Recommend you get someone else to do the actual cooking! You deserve it, after all.
You only need to get someone else to do the rinsing, as the smell is in the liquid the pasta is stored in. They don't need cooking at all, just draining after the rinsing and then warming. In fact heating for too long might ruin the texture (such as it is!)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve found these products to be really good when I want to eat a similar meal to the rest of my family. So if we’re having curry and rice, I just have a slightly different rice (husband and son share a microwaveable pouch of the regular stuff). Same if it’s a pasta dish - they can have pasta and regular pesto, I can have slim pasta and my non dairy pesto. Sometimes it’s nice to all have roughly the same thing :)

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Yes, and I bet you are lucky enough to be able to cope with more than my <20g daily carbs. There are indeed so many things that are delicious and low carb, and that I can't afford to eat in any quantity. Something to fill me up and not raise my bg is a life-saver.[/

There is no doubt that since dx I spend far more time in selecting and preparing my foods. In straightforward cash terms it's really difficult for me to honestly answer you but I do now eat a lot of things I once thought was expensive like nuts and advocado. I hunt these out on special now so it's time again.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, what I wrote was misleading. I was lamenting the fact that in terms of bg on <20g carbs daily I cannot allow myself many even low carb vegetables. The problem is not financial. Indeed, even on offer the Slim range is not cheap.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sorry, what I wrote was misleading. I was lamenting the fact that in terms of bg on <20g carbs daily I cannot allow myself many even low carb vegetables. The problem is not financial. Indeed, even on offer the Slim range is not cheap.
True about the slim range but Holland and B have got Slim rice at half price today £1.29

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True about the slim range but Holland and B have got Slim rice at half price today £1.29
Indeed, and all the range is currently half price, but that offer ends soon. I have already ordered a huge boxful online and as I paid £40+ I got not only free delivery but £5 off as well. Now I just have to hope no-one discovers that Slim rice / pasta is terribly bad for us.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt it is bad for us, but it is just empty food as far as I can see. Barely any nutrients at all.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt it is bad for us, but it is just empty food as far as I can see. Barely any nutrients at all.
Bluetit, I get to the end of a meal and I am HUNGRY!!! So I could add more carbs - and spike my bg. Or I could add more protein - and raise my bg more slowly. Or I could eat more fat - and feel sick. Or I could add some some Slim pasta to my meal and feel fuller, and also help my throughput with 4g of fibre. IMO it's no contest!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
True but sometimes I like pretend slim rice than pretend cauli rice. I like the empty konjac noodles too, not sure if Oomi noodles have any nutritional value but I like them as a carrier of juicy stuff and I do courgetti and mooli.:)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True but sometimes I like pretend slim rice than pretend cauli rice. I like the empty konjac noodles too, not sure if Oomi noodles have any nutritional value but I like them as a carrier of juicy stuff and I do courgetti and mooli.:)
In any case, cauli rice contains more carbs than I can tolerate. And grinding foods down small moves them up the glycaemic index. And, I agree, it's very important to find ways of varying our somewhat limited cuisine. After all, diabetes is, IMO, for life and not just for Christmas.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps I'm biased because I have never liked pasta or savoury rice (rice puddings were a different matter ;) )

Do all fats make you sick @Alexandra100 ? That is a shame.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I cooked these the first time and hated them, they actually made me feel sick. I stood rinsing the noodles for 4 mins..I was eating them in a sauce and I burped (Excuse me lol) and although I had rinsed them for around 4 mins I got a fish taste yuk..Anyway, I read another method of cooking them. Rinse them well, put them into hot water in a pan and add some lemon juice, simmer for 5 mins, then add to a dry fry pan and cook them until they stop the squeaky noise. The lemon juice gets rid of any fishy smell or taste. I have a very high sensitivity to taste and smell, so without the lemon and rinsing for 4 mins I could still taste the fishy taste.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps I'm biased because I have never liked pasta or savoury rice (rice puddings were a different matter ;) )

Do all fats make you sick @Alexandra100 ? That is a shame.
To tell you the truth, before I almost never ate pasta or rice and very little bread, but now I can't fill up on fruit or even vegetables, so other foods have gained a new importance for me. And I too do miss rice puddings. In fact, I have wondered about using Slim rice plus melted butter plus cream with cinnamon and nutmeg to fudge up a sort of rice pudding.

No, thanks very much for enquiring, I am eating what seems to me a great deal of fat, but adding in enough fat to compensate for the almost total lack of carbs, as per LCHF, definitely doesn't work for me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cooked these the first time and hated them, they actually made me feel sick. I stood rinsing the noodles for 4 mins..I was eating them in a sauce and I burped (Excuse me lol) and although I had rinsed them for around 4 mins I got a fish taste yuk..Anyway, I read another method of cooking them. Rinse them well, put them into hot water in a pan and add some lemon juice, simmer for 5 mins, then add to a dry fry pan and cook them until they stop the squeaky noise. The lemon juice gets rid of any fishy smell or taste. I have a very high sensitivity to taste and smell, so without the lemon and rinsing for 4 mins I could still taste the fishy taste.
Just to check, was this the Slim pasta or another brand of konjac?